WWWatching

TheLastWolf

42 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

Even the critics that didn't care about the casting controversy thought that the acting and writing was generally bad and the "documentary" doesn't really feel factual.

Ya, me too.

65 isn't a bad movie Imo. They just messed up the marketing by revealing everything in the trailer. Driver is solid per usual and Ariana Greenblatt will become a big star. Book it. 

Edited by Tywin et al.

6 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

The only dinosaur movie in the history of dinosaur movies where nobody gets eaten by a dinosaur. Mega-meh.

Small cast. And I thought it be smart to have Driver get eaten in the final scene. 

#spoilers @RumHam

ETA: There's something called Hatched on Prime that I'm tempted to check out. Seems like a lazy JP knockoff, but I'm game.

Edited by Tywin et al.

31 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

ETA: There's something called Hatched on Prime that I'm tempted to check out. Seems like a lazy JP knockoff, but I'm game.

Dude! Be careful. That movie scores 2.9 on imdb.

8 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Dude! Be careful. That movie scores 2.9 on imdb.

I was raised on bad Syfy movies. That channel is terrible, but Mega Shark vs. Super Anaconda or w/e is my guilty pleasure.  

22 minutes ago, Secretary of Eumenes said:

Caught up on Barry. What a show. 

I really struggled with the previous episode, it felt like such a departure and was relentlessly grim. But the latest ep really grabbed me. I’m enjoying the time jump now. 

This show has just gone in a direction I never expected after that first episode. Gotta appreciate that. 

13 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

I didn't watch it because I don't have Netflix at this time, but the "documentary" Queen Cleopatra may have the lowest ever Rotten Tomatoes score: 10% critics and 2% audience. Yup

Even the critics that didn't care about the casting controversy thought that the acting and writing was generally bad and the "documentary" doesn't really feel factual.

If it's a documentary on Netflix then it's safe to assume it is probably total trash in the first place.

I can't tell if race swapping Cleopatra was done as some sort of deliberate political statement (which if you look at the comments by the creators it would suggest it was) or was it done with an eye on creating a load of controversy about a show that nobody was going to watch anyway. Probably a bit of both.

6 hours ago, dbunting said:

Dear lord, you and my wife... she loves some of those, flying fucking piranha and stuff.

These are Friday Night Specials - for when you want to watch something you don't need any brain for and they fall firmly into the 'so bad they are good' camp. I love that abominable snowman one, Snowbeast? It's amazing.

4 hours ago, Isis said:

These are Friday Night Specials - for when you want to watch something you don't need any brain for and they fall firmly into the 'so bad they are good' camp. I love that abominable snowman one, Snowbeast? It's amazing.

Sometimes you get a Sharknado, which is a terrible dumb movie, but worth a laugh. Other times you get something that's truly awful. And then you get Re-Animator, which a few friends and I still joke about two decades later after we saw it.

Edited by Tywin et al.

15 hours ago, dbunting said:

Dear lord, you and my wife... she loves some of those, flying fucking piranha and stuff.

Hey, James Cameron directed that movie. It can't be that bad. I haven't seen it in years though. Something to remedy. 

Hope everybody knows Modern Love, anthology inspired by the NYT column.

Also the Tokyo and Amsterdam versions

Also Mumbai and Hyderabad 

The latest set in Chennai dropped  today. On Amazon Prime Video, not sure if available all over the world.

Ok I don't know how to say this. I'll go with a step at a time linear approach. The first 5 episodes are good but nothing extraordinary and require a lot of local cultural contexts to relate and appreciate. I should know, trust me.

But the last. Longest among the 6 (69 minutes). Phew. Swallows*. Best fucking cinema I've seen like in a looong time. Directed by Thiagarajan Kumararaja. Has only 2 other features to his credit which are themselves masterpieces but IMHO have a contextual barrier to an extent. Creative producer of ML:C here. 

Did I mention how fucking great it was !?

It's like Wong Kar Wai & Woody Allen had a kid with Nolan and Villeneuve. Arrenofsky & Refn on the side. Doyle's camerawork is nearly ousted by the DoPs' here. And the art lighting sets and costumes and writing and performances. I could go on. Also part of the same cinematic universe his other two features were set in. Innumerable Easter eggs contribute to exquisite worldbuilding. Nothing inyourface ish. 

Manh

Edited by TheLastWolf

Just saw the D&D movie. Dope. Good fun. Chris Pine was fucking hilarious. I have no problem enjoying him in the Star Trek movies, all the actors in them are great, but he really shined here as Michele Rodriguez kicked ass. 

Fun movie. The whole cast was good. Would recommend.