Silo (Apple TV series based on Hugh Howey’ “Wool”)(spoiler for show)

41 minutes ago, Raja said:

Yeah, the books are pretty different in a lot of ways

I might actually pick up Wool again, they were fairly quick reads from what I remember.

I've had a signed hardback of Wool sitting unread on a shelf for years. 

After reading the synopsis (which is absolutely fucking wild, btw), I just couldn't resist. About a third of the way through and enjoying it immensely. 

Edited by Spockydog

Hugh, the author, did a Silo TV Q&A last night and was able to answer a few things that aren’t big spoilers. 
bernard didn’t turn the screen off. I was also hoping that was the case because it would have been quite interesting to question why. But she was just out of range. At the time she is stood still I think so that confused a lot of people but I suppose there was only so long the screen in the helmet was going to work. 

Edited by Theda Baratheon

7 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

Hugh, the author, did a Silo TV Q&A last night and was able to answer a few things that aren’t big spoilers. 
bernard didn’t turn the screen off. I was also hoping that was the case because it would have been quite interesting to question why. But she was just out of range. At the time she is stood still I think so that confused a lot of people but I suppose there was only so long the screen in the helmet was going to work. 

The show didn't do that too well then.

Having rewatched that bit, it's not clear that she isn't moving: we have a close-up on her face and it's hard to tell whether she's standing still or moving very slowly.

3 hours ago, Rippounet said:

The show didn't do that too well then.

Having rewatched that bit, it's not clear that she isn't moving: we have a close-up on her face and it's hard to tell whether she's standing still or moving very slowly.

Yes the framing of that scene was a little confusing! Or maybe he revealed more than he should have on Twitter and they were keeping it vague for a reason? I think they just didn’t quite edit that clear enough tho 

He’s not brilliantly written on the show either, although maybe they are just setting it up for when he finally discovers a backbone.

I thought it was very similar to the book, although it’s been ten years since I read it. I was hoping they’d have more time to go into the dynamics of everybody living a structured existence where they all depend on each other. But it was very plot driven, which is ok too. Common was very good, I bought his character even more than Ferguson’s.

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished watching the show. I'm glad I waited until it was over because it's a binge-worthy show. All those cliffhanger endings. 

Really enjoyed it. A good dystopian SF, well acted, especially Ferguson. A nicely detailed world, too. Jules did have a couple of plot armor moments with her jumping off the rail and the falling through the chute, but otherwise I liked the plot.

It wasn't the ending I expected the most, but it makes sense in hindsight. The false hope makes them clean. Keeping the screen clean ensure everyone else don't have too much hope. Interesting that when they had to cut the power, the big screen(s) flashed the fake image. I suppose because it's all connected to IT's servers.

But I have to say that last shot of all the silos (and I'm not surprised there are more) is a bit iffy. They look way too close to each other. With each silo mining ore I would think over the centuries they might intersect.

Now we'll have to wait a while for season 2. I don't know if I'll find the time to read the books.

Edited by Corvinus85

I believe the author of the books said something to the effect of agreeing that they were too close in that shot at the end, which hadn't been run by him. I'm happy to hand wave that away and accept they're meant to be spaced far enough apart for there to be room for mining. Just a visual error in one shot.

On 7/19/2023 at 4:32 AM, Corvinus85 said:

I just finished watching the show. I'm glad I waited until it was over because it's a binge-worthy show. All those cliffhanger endings. 

Really enjoyed it. A good dystopian SF, well acted, especially Ferguson. A nicely detailed world, too. Jules did have a couple of plot armor moments with her jumping off the rail and the falling through the chute, but otherwise I liked the plot.

It wasn't the ending I expected the most, but it makes sense in hindsight. The false hope makes them clean. Keeping the screen clean ensure everyone else don't have too much hope. Interesting that when they had to cut the power, the big screen(s) flashed the fake image. I suppose because it's all connected to IT's servers.

But I have to say that last shot of all the silos (and I'm not surprised there are more) is a bit iffy. They look way too close to each other. With each silo mining ore I would think over the centuries they might intersect.

Now we'll have to wait a while for season 2. I don't know if I'll find the time to read the books.

I just finished the book and I don’t think it’s a spoiler to say that apparently they can only mine down, down, down. They aren’t allowed to mine sideways as that is forbidden. The silos really are pretty close together! Kind of makes it all that much more tragic and frustrating! 

On 7/19/2023 at 2:21 PM, karaddin said:

I believe the author of the books said something to the effect of agreeing that they were too close in that shot at the end, which hadn't been run by him. I'm happy to hand wave that away and accept they're meant to be spaced far enough apart for there to be room for mining. Just a visual error in one shot.

It does say in the book that they’re forbidden from digging laterally. They’re only allowed to continue digging deeper. Which does pose the question how much further can they dig :lol: and I’m no expert but what of value are they even digging at this point. But yeah, it does heavily imply the silos are very close together in the book and that the mines are not dug sideways 

I would have thought they'd be hitting the point of the temperature getting too high if they keep going down. I guess when they're using it as punishment that goes with increasingly unpleasant conditions.

From what I understand, the Silo is about 1 mile deep, let's say 1.6 km.  You typically cannot get much further deeper before it's too hot for humans.  So mining further down doesn't seem like a good idea.    But there is some leeway.

It really depends on the type of rock you are digging through to determine the temperature gradient as you go down.  The average gradient is between 25 and 30 C/km, while the range is 15.4C/km & 102.6C/km.   Air temperature would be about 9.66C/km.

Deepest mines are about 3.9km in South Africa, because they have a refrigeration plant cooling it.