Trailer Thread: Reeling them in.

polishgenius

7 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

So do you believe this theory then?

I think they were mostly just really tired.

But I can't rule out that that in the back of their minds, the sooner they were done the sooner they could move on to what I suspect was seen by them as a holy grail of IP.

Edited by Ran

13 hours ago, Ran said:

I think they were mostly just really tired.

But I can't rule out that that in the back of their minds, the sooner they were done the sooner they could move on to what I suspect was seen by them as a holy grail of IP.

I agree that they were really tired, but before the Star Wars deal, they were planning on doing another HBO show next (Confederate). I think that S8 would have turned out the same way even if they were unattached, because it was basically just an extension of how they wrote season 5-7. Show-fans didn’t care about any of the plot holes or bad dialogue when they were still getting all the battles and spectacle that they loved. I really believe that if S8 had the same quality writing but with a wish fulfillment ending where Jon slays the monster and Daenerys becomes the beloved goddess-queen, most people truly would have regarded it as the best season ever.

Of course, that still doesn’t reflect well on D&D, since either way they wrote all of this. But I think the TV-media hype machine created something of a self-fulfilling prophecy that ruined the quality of GOT.

I have to imagine the Star Wars talk was already in the background before the Confederate show went bust. But yeah, mostly just tired. I was told by people that they were already pretty bushed by the third season, because they were so hands-on and involved all the time. Part of why I stressed that they should probably have more writers and let the writer-producers produce.

I know GRRM pushed for more because he thought it'd be more satisfying, and I think that's probably true, the things people complained about were also the things that felt rushed to many of them. But I didn't watch the last seasons, so what do I know? Maybe they're "rushed" because they didn't like them, and would have felt differently if they liked them.

2 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Everything is taken from everything, let it come out before we label it as generic. 

I mean, Djimon Honsou's character is literally a gladiator...

On 11/11/2023 at 4:14 PM, Ran said:

I have to imagine the Star Wars talk was already in the background before the Confederate show went bust. But yeah, mostly just tired. I was told by people that they were already pretty bushed by the third season, because they were so hands-on and involved all the time. Part of why I stressed that they should probably have more writers and let the writer-producers produce.

I know GRRM pushed for more because he thought it'd be more satisfying, and I think that's probably true, the things people complained about were also the things that felt rushed to many of them. But I didn't watch the last seasons, so what do I know? Maybe they're "rushed" because they didn't like them, and would have felt differently if they liked them.

Based on what I’ve read about D&D, it would appear that them being massive control freaks turned out to be both their greatest strength and weakness. No other large-scale show that has come out since GOT has been able to consistently release like clockwork on a yearly basis (and most of them have fewer than ten episodes per season). The Ds were clearly very organized and disciplined to pull that off. But they also refused to bring in any new writers or allow for any additional input, even from the cast. It was striking how, in FCKAD, their takeaway from Dorne falling flat was that viewers didn’t want to meet any new characters, and not that the execution was poor. It’s like the difference between the original Star Wars trilogy, which was more of a collaborative process, and the prequel trilogy, where George Lucas had complete control over everything. D&D were devoted to the show, but they ended up surrounding themselves with yes-men and didn’t take any criticism of the show into consideration (beyond eventually cutting back on the sexual assault scenes, that is).

16 hours ago, Ran said:

ETA: Seven Samurai meets Star Wars meets Gladiator meets ... Warhammer 40k?

Not going to lie. I hope it is all that. Sounds like a fun time. 

If Snyder can hold all that story together. Seems like an extremely broad intergalactic canvas to kick off the first installment. And we saw how quickly he pushed into DC...

Color me reluctantly optimistic.

43 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Cmon guys, let’s support original IPs instead of being cynical for once.

Djimon Honsou isn't just playing a gladiator, I found out he's playing a former general turned gladiator. So instead of his sidekick in Gladiator, he's ... Maximus?

I like original IP, but this doesn't seem to have an iota of originality in it.

6 minutes ago, Ran said:

Djimon Honsou isn't just playing a gladiator, I found out he's playing a former general turned gladiator. So instead of his sidekick in Gladiator, he's ... Maximus?

Ha, seriously?  Well, I guess that makes a full house of tropes all in one movie.

On the other hand, when I finally saw Hidden Fortress as an adult, I realized that Star Wars was a remake, so perhaps this film will turn out to be something good after all, despite all the meme smoothie elements.

I don't really understand why every 'original' film also has to be original. I'm all for a new property that uses a bunch of tropes and just isn't bound to certain things specifically because it's Star Wars or Trek. Sure, we appreciate some brand new shit too, but that doesn't mean the old favourites have to die a death. 

Like most of us enjoyed RRR and Top Gun Maverick last year. Both of those films were rammed with cliche. Whether Snyder can achieve that is open to question but it's a separate question to the originality itself.

5 hours ago, Ran said:

Didn't this start out originally as a Star Wars spec script?