Trailer Thread: Reeling them in.

polishgenius

On 10/27/2023 at 3:41 PM, Ran said:

I miss the 80s, man. And so, too, does Diablo Cody. Good on her!

Seriously, I do wonder why an 80s milieu for this, though. And there was another recent film that's also largely set in the 80s, right, that time travel slasher comedy? I dig it, but I'm amazed 80s nostalgia is still going so strong. 

I suspect the 1980s and 1990s settings are also popular because they're the last decades without cell phones, which at least for horror either means the story doesn't happen or there's some highly contrived reason why they don't work.

2 minutes ago, TheLastWolf said:

Cashing in on the cult status of Drive?

But played like Ken in Barbie.

Honestly, it looks like it could be goofy action fun, but it doesn't look like it'll actually be good.

1 hour ago, Ran said:

But played like Ken in Barbie.

Honestly, it looks like it could be goofy action fun, but it doesn't look like it'll actually be good.

Looks pretty fun to me. Capturing the Gosling action hero bits from Grey Man while channeling his 'why the fuck am I here' comedy from Nice Guys. 

20 hours ago, Kalbear said:

Looks pretty fun to me. Capturing the Gosling action hero bits from Grey Man while channeling his 'why the fuck am I here' comedy from Nice Guys. 

Since he plays a stuntman I'm going to assume it's an official sequel to Drive. 

On 11/2/2023 at 11:34 AM, Wilbur said:

How can they call this an "original series"?

I am pretty sure I already saw this decades ago with Toshiro Mifune and Richard Chamberlain.

Because maybe they are changing it to be more historically based then the novel and its subsequent mini series.  I'm not saying that is the case but that is a possibility.

On 11/2/2023 at 11:34 AM, Wilbur said:

How can they call this an "original series"?

I am pretty sure I already saw this decades ago with Toshiro Mifune and Richard Chamberlain.

It is a new production with new script, actors, director, production company and finance, Original to FX. 

Just like the Jack Reacher series is an Amazon Prime Original.

6 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Looks like I'm signing up for Hulu in February.

I've been meaning to rewatch the 80's miniseries (I actually bought it on dvd way back when). If I wait to rewatch later, it might be like watching Dune 2000 after seeing the new film.

20 hours ago, Myrddin said:

I've been meaning to rewatch the 80's miniseries (I actually bought it on dvd way back when). If I wait to rewatch later, it might be like watching Dune 2000 after seeing the new film.

I could swear that in the original miniseries, Mariko never does more than maybe use a knife to stab a ninja, and maybe (badly) trying to use a sword. This version seems to have her being a highly capable warrior, and I wonder if that's based on the book or ... well, just Hollywood doing Hollywood things.

Edited by Ran

24 minutes ago, Ran said:

I could swear that in the original miniseries, Mariko never does more than maybe use a knife to stab a ninja, and maybe (badly) trying to use a sword. This version seems to have her being a highly capable warrior, and I wonder if that's based on the book or ... well, just Hollywood doing Hollywood things.

Yeah the trailer looks a bit generic tbh, I’ll wait for the reviews. Loved the book, never seen the old miniseries so i hope this turns out good but FXs quality is a mixed bag. On a side note I hope the CP2077 life action project is handled by HBO who have already worked with Anonymous content previously, would be perfect for it.