UK Politics: Striking at the heart of the nation

polishgenius

22 hours ago, Spockydog said:

I see that Boris Johnson has defied the court order demanding he hand over diaries and WhatsApp comms to to the Covid inquiry. 

Not a sausage about this in the news. 

Apparently they can’t hand over the WhatsApps because Boris has forgotten his passcode

2 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Well that is a not a defence that i'm remotely interested in, at all.  You know how many victims are so in thrall to their abusers (i'm not saying he is an abuser FYI) that they defend them to the hilt? 

What’s defence got to do with it? You said yourself there’s no evidence a crime was committed.

Yes, obviously you can feel sorry for the person who is so in thrall to his abuser that they issue a flat denial anything improper took place. But you have to make up some stuff in your head to be able to do that.

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

Ooooh, would you look at the hypocrisy of The Sun's Dan Wooton. Somehow I doubt The Sun will be putting this on their front page. 

That thread is chilling. The Sun needs to be taken behind a barn like the News of the World and put out of our misery

1 hour ago, Rorschach - 2 said:

Easy! It's the name of his sixth kid!

That joke was sitting there waiting to be made.  

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

Lol. Is this allowed? You're not allowed to covertly record court proceedings, so presumably this is illegal.... 

What would be the point of doing this? There will be an official recording and a transcript prepared anyway.  

There's a variant of this joke where the passcode is the number of his children.  

On a more serious note, I do think you see in both him and Elon a common version of the megalomania delusion of wanting to seed the world with your genetic stock but indifference to actual parenting.  There is no way he could have been an active father to 9 (or more!) children while pursuing his political career. 

Well, to be fair, he seems to make up most of his opinions and positions as he goes along. Never seems to put much effort into it.

Then again, the same can probably be said about his parenting. 

Effort seems to concentrate on making them.

55 minutes ago, Gaston de Foix said:

What would be the point of doing this? There will be an official recording and a transcript prepared anyway.  

No idea. Presumably not everything makes it onto the official transcript? Who the hecc knows. He's weird. 

The Immigration surcharge math works out like this

It's going from 625 pounds per year to 1,035 pounds per year for *one* person.

If you come with your partner, you have to pay a visa for 3 years ( even if you have a contract for 1 year) for both you and your partner - that's 1,035 x 2 ( two people) x 3 ( 3 years)

That's 6,200 pounds as a lump sum that you have to pay before you arrive to the UK.

The worst part is that there is no one to advocate for us.

What a fucking joke

Edited by Raja

14 hours ago, Spockydog said:

Did he break the law? No.

Did he make some inappropriate comments to colleagues? Yes, perhaps. And that should be investigated.

Did he break lockdown to get his leg over? Maybe. But he certainly wouldn't be the only one, would he. And do we really want to start whatabouting on this particular point?

At the end of the day, The Sun broke this story with the implication that Edwards had broken obscenity laws with a minor. That is not true, and The Sun are backing away from this angle.

And please spare us the crocodile tears for Edwards' wife. Nobody knows the circumstances of their relationship. She seems to still love and want to protect her husband.

So, essentially, what we have is a man whose life has been destroyed for getting carried away on OnlyFans.

And the only thing that should be talked about in accusatory tones is breaking the lockdown rule.

I can well imagine that a lot of people in heterosexual marriages who are L,G or B have an arrangement that tolerates  extracurricular activity as long as it's discrete. Who knows what their arrangement is, one can only go by how the wife acts, and if she's not throwing him to the wolves then why should anyone else try to do so on her behalf?

Admitting to knowing no details except what I read here I present one person's take on the whole thing, without further commentary.

14 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-66188500

public sector rises between 6-7%.  We are getting 7%, should have been a lot more, but i was expecting less so we can call it a draw.  Depends if it is 7% for everyone or bottom loaded again for those on the lowest salaries. 

Everyone in our ministry is getting $4000. So that represents about 7% for the lowest paid clerical staff and about 2% for the highest paid non-management technical / policy / legal experts. Next year we are getting 3%, but capped at $5400. Fortunately my 3% is less than $5400 so I will be getting the full 3%. But considering we haven't had any pay increase at all since 2019 it still represents a substantial erosion in income relative to inflation for everyone even the lowest paid. Considering inflation since 2019 has been 17% the lowest paid in our ministry would be short by 7% if they were getting the full $4000+3% now, but since it will be another 12 months for the 3% to come through, with relatively high inflation the shortfall is going to be more like 10-12%.

A country can handle 7-8% inflation for a few years without any need to panic as long as wages are keeping pace. But reserve banks screwing people over in so many ways with high interest rates and demands for wage growth restraint and more unemployment means people could barely cope (mentally and financially) with 6 months of 4% inflation (annual 8%). Our inflation rate never topped 8% and is now falling, slowly, but people are feeling completely beaten up even though wage growth has also been historically high, just not high enough, and unemployment historically low.

Edited by The Anti-Targ

10 hours ago, Raja said:

There goes my 6%.

They love throwing immigrants under the bus here.

Anyway, we'll continue striking :)

I don't understand how tax-paying immigrants need to pay extra to be able to use the NHS. Rank xenophobic policy IMO. I can sort of see a rationale for non-resident foreign visitors having to pay for using the NHS. Though the number accessing the NHS relative to total demand, and relative to total foreign visitor economic contribution (spending / VAT collection) must make such revenues pretty negligible and really only a PR exercise to keep the xenophobes happy. Though I'm not completely opposed to nicking cash off insurance companies providing travel insurance. But really charging anyone anything to use the NHS seems either unjust, or of negligible value, or both.

So Sunak expects the teachers' pay rises to come out of existing budgets. How on earth will that work?

"Good news, kids. Mrs Trelawney has decided not to resign and go work as a private tutor for another year. Also, today we will be learning how to make some delicious, healthy stew from grass cuttings, and Mr Slater from the IT team will be demonstrating how to light a cooking fire the ecological way by using our stock of broken iPads to reflect the sun's light onto last summer's Year 3 art projects."