Star Trek: I miss Hemmer (spoilers)

Ser Scot A Ellison

2 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

This is incredibly frustrating.

If I was a backer, I'd want my money back. 

Mmh... I must admit, I am a backer (of 20 bucks)... and yes, I am frustrated, but... well, Alec Peters may be a megalomaniac buffoon, but I'm still curious to see what will come out of it. The Axanar Youtube channel is quite buzzing with Behind the Scenes footage of them shooting stuff. I have been following the Alec Peters side of things through the years and have followed how he tried to use the money to build his own studio and when that got axed, they wasted so much money building and rebuilding the sets like four times or so while they were in lawsuit limbo and moving around stages and then he started to burn bridges with many of the people he was working with. But even then, given the production value shown there, I am actually believing him when he says that he shielded Axanar by paying out with his own money (he auctioned off parts of his huge Star Trek props collection to keep things running) and am curious how the remaining episodes will look like now that they have actually finally gotten around to film the damned thing.

39 minutes ago, Toth said:

Mmh... I must admit, I am a backer (of 20 bucks)... and yes, I am frustrated, but... well, Alec Peters may be a megalomaniac buffoon, but I'm still curious to see what will come out of it. The Axanar Youtube channel is quite buzzing with Behind the Scenes footage of them shooting stuff. I have been following the Alec Peters side of things through the years and have followed how he tried to use the money to build his own studio and when that got axed, they wasted so much money building and rebuilding the sets like four times or so while they were in lawsuit limbo and moving around stages and then he started to burn bridges with many of the people he was working with. But even then, given the production value shown there, I am actually believing him when he says that he shielded Axanar by paying out with his own money (he auctioned off parts of his huge Star Trek props collection to keep things running) and am curious how the remaining episodes will look like now that they have actually finally gotten around to film the damned thing.

Prelude was made in almost no time and for very little money, relatively speaking, and it's amazing. That was nine years ago. The Paramount lawsuit came to an end about 5 years ago IIRC. He's raised over a million dollars to make this thing. What's the problem?

And it's perfectly obvious that Peters is going after his former collaborators in a way that is petty and punitive, and he's using the legal system to do it. This is affecting people's lives and costing them thousands of dollars. I'm not a particular fan of RMB and I disagree with him on a lot, but he doesn't deserve this shit. Jenkins doesn't deserve this shit. Over an IP Peters doesn't own. Over a fan film. He's on record talking about how much he loves suing people.  That's just wrong.

What is also, let's say, 'very likely', is that considerable sums of crowdfunded cash went to things that had nothing to do with the film. That is also wrong.

And I've seen some of the recent Axanar stuff. Anyone who thinks it will approach the quality of Prelude is in for a hell of a surprise. 

If this shit ever comes out, I won't be watching it. 

43 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

And it's perfectly obvious that Peters is going after his former collaborators in a way that is petty and punitive, and he's using the legal system to do it. This is affecting people's lives and costing them thousands of dollars. I'm not a particular fan of RMB and I disagree with him on a lot, but he doesn't deserve this shit. Jenkins doesn't deserve this shit. Over an IP Peters doesn't own. Over a fan film. He's on record talking about how much he loves suing people.  That's just wrong.

Fair enough, I had pretty much checked out at the time he accused the first guy of leaving with some Axanar stuff on his laptop and the legal mud slinging started and hadn't realized how many he eventually dragged into this stuff. Really a shame.

https://deadline.com/2024/01/andor-toby-haynes-star-trek-movie-seth-grahame-smith-writing-1235712646/

Sources tell Deadline that while plot details are being kept under wraps, the project is an origin story that takes place decades before the 2009 Star Trek film that rebooted the franchise.

Difficult to know what to make of that, an origin of what exactly? Decades before the main bit? Or the George Kirk bit? The Kelvin-verse? Or as far back as Enterprise times, maybe a Romulan War story?

On 1/11/2024 at 2:09 PM, DaveSumm said:

https://deadline.com/2024/01/andor-toby-haynes-star-trek-movie-seth-grahame-smith-writing-1235712646/

Difficult to know what to make of that, an origin of what exactly? Decades before the main bit? Or the George Kirk bit? The Kelvin-verse? Or as far back as Enterprise times, maybe a Romulan War story?

This guy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnceAiZEJKQ says it's a leak by Bad Robot, and they're just pitches that Paramount has not approved, and are now quite pissed off about. 

8 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

This guy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnceAiZEJKQ says it's a leak by Bad Robot, and they're just pitches that Paramount has not approved, and are now quite pissed off about. 

An Englishman having an afternoon walk in the UK telling me this is rubbish does not exactly inspire confidence. Why is this guy supposed to actually know anything related to an American studio and an American production company working on an American franchise? Has he been correct about other Trek-related things in the past, or is he just giving us his opinion disguised as anonymous leaks?

Edited by Ran

33 minutes ago, Ran said:

An Englishman having an afternoon walk in the UK telling me this is rubbish does not exactly inspire confidence. Why is this guy supposed to actually know anything related to an American studio and an American production company working on an American franchise? Has he been correct about other Trek-related things in the past, or is he just giving us his opinion disguised as anonymous leaks?

I don't watch most of what he posts, and its a lot of Stargate rumours, but he says he has contacts in MGM mainly, and a few other studios including Paramount.  Some appear to be contacts in the marketing departments that are passing on internal company rumours (which might be true at the time).  But if I remember correctly was right about the Babylon 5 stuff, and that the Michelle Yeoh Section 31 series was becoming a movie instead.

Edited by SpaceChampion

Watching Enterprise season 3 ep 18 Azati Prime, and the ship is getting the shit kicked out of it. 

What sets it apart from earlier series (ie Voyager) is that the ship remains fucked up for the rest of the season. Archer’s razor was presumably a casualty because he starts growing stubble.

Seasons 1-2 were pretty bland, but this season ramps things up - Archer has numerous ethical dilemmas, not all neatly tied up. He condemns an innocent ship to three years of impulse travel.

5 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Watching Enterprise season 3 ep 18 Azati Prime, and the ship is getting the shit kicked out of it. 

What sets it apart from earlier series (ie Voyager) is that the ship remains fucked up for the rest of the season. Archer’s razor was presumably a casualty because he starts growing stubble.

Seasons 1-2 were pretty bland, but this season ramps things up - Archer has numerous ethical dilemmas, not all neatly tied up. He condemns an innocent ship to three years of impulse travel.

They seem to randomly forget they have serious time pressure during season 3…

Enterprise got good in seasons 3 and 4 - from about midway in season 4 (the episode where the Earth embassy on Vulcan gets blown up) to the penultimate episode Terra Prime there's only really one bad episode. Although that episode is really bad.