UK Politics: Step Right Up, Step Right Up. Come Marvel At Our Amazing North Sea Snake Oil. Will Cure All Your Electoral Woes. Get It While It's Hot ;-)

Spockydog

2 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

The father of Elle Edwards who was  murdered at Christmas in a botched hit in a pub was on a charity walk from Liverpool to Land’s End, with a friend. This was a very high profile case in thr UK, the killer was recently sentenced to jail.

The B&B in Devon wouldn’t let them stay, apparently on hearing their Scouse accents. The owners no doubt regret this as its getting increasing attention on social and mainstream media. I suspect their tripadvisor reviews may tumble; the North remembers.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/dad-murdered-elle-edwards-claims-27549594

I do wonder if there's a bit more to this story than we're getting from the Echo. I've had a look at online reviews of the guesthouse and they're all positive except for one which said that they were asked to leave after objecting to the resident dachshunds. (They left with a full refund). If the owners tended to be prejudiced, I'd expect there to be more signs of it. Liverpudlians are as fond of holidaying in Devon as everyone else. 

24 minutes ago, dog-days said:

I do wonder if there's a bit more to this story than we're getting from the Echo. I've had a look at online reviews of the guesthouse and they're all positive except for one which said that they were asked to leave after objecting to the resident dachshunds. (They left with a full refund). If the owners tended to be prejudiced, I'd expect there to be more signs of it. Liverpudlians are as fond of holidaying in Devon as everyone else. 

The reviews are positive becsuse trioadvisor locked them when the story broke (perhaps at owners request), there’s a note at the top.

The owners have also apologised. Story is also in the Express, insuspect it may spread further.

Edited by Derfel Cadarn

56 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

The reviews are positive becsuse trioadvisor locked them when the story broke (perhaps at owners request), there’s a note at the top.

The owners have also apologised. Story is also in the Express, insuspect it may spread further.

Yeah, I know, but what I mean is that reviews prior to the story breaking would have shown some indication of the owners' prejudices. I'm a bit sceptical, tbh. 

6 minutes ago, dog-days said:

I'm sure the police could much more usefully be harassing protestors. 

Also, for some reason, those Crooked House arsonists have yet to be arrested. They dumped a bunch of dirt in the road, blocking fire brigade access, who could only watch as the pub burned. Then they demolished what was left of the pub with a bulldozer, rented a week before the fire. The owner has previous for arson. And yet, no arrests.

I mean, what in the actual fuck. 

So, during 'Saudi Week', when Sunak welcomes MBS with open arms, I wonder who will be the first Tory to suggest we follow the Saudi example and start dropping artillery on refugees travelling in small boats.

This is beyond horrific.

‘Fired on like rain’: Saudi border guards accused of mass killings of Ethiopians

Saudi border guards have been accused of killing hundreds of Ethiopians using small arms and explosive weapons in a targeted campaign that rights advocates suggest may amount to a crime against humanity.

The shocking claims are made in a detailed investigation by Human Rights Watch, which interviewed dozens of Ethiopian people who said they were attacked by border guards while they tried to cross into Saudi Arabia from Yemen.

Last week Downing Street confirmed that Rishi Sunak plans to welcome Saudi Arabia’s crown prince Mohammed bin Salman to London “at the earliest opportunity”. It would be the first visit since the death in 2018 of the Saudi dissident Jamal Khashoggi, who US intelligence believe was murdered and dismembered by Saudi agents in Istanbul on the orders of Prince Mohammed.

Using satellite imaging, photographs of deaths from more than 20 incidents, witness testimony by survivors and forensic experts’ examination of survivors’ wounds, HRW has built up a compelling and horrific picture of an escalating campaign of extreme violence aimed at people trying to cross the border.

Witness testimony describes mass killings, with women and children dying in shelling, and dead people and body parts spread along trails.

“I saw people killed in a way I have never imagined,” Hamdiya, a 14-year-old girl who crossed the border in a group of 60 in February, told researchers. “I saw 30 killed people on the spot.”

HRW’s lead researcher on the report, Nadia Hardman, described the findings as “obscene”.

“I cover violence at borders, but I have never come across something of this nature, the use of explosive weapons including against women and children,” Hardman said.

Edited by Spockydog

2 hours ago, Spockydog said:

So, during 'Saudi Week', when Sunak welcomes MBS with open arms, I wonder who will be the first Tory to suggest we follow the Saudi example and start dropping artillery on refugees travelling in small boats.

This is beyond horrific.

‘Fired on like rain’: Saudi border guards accused of mass killings of Ethiopians

I’m pretty sure there are some Tories who have already suggested sending in the Royal Navy

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

Yeah okay I didn't expect the defence against the distasteful clamour for the reinstatement of the death sentence on the back of Letby to come from Laurence Fox. 

A posh cock is right twice a day. 

2 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Yeah okay I didn't expect the defence against the distasteful clamour for the reinstatement of the death sentence on the back of Letby to come from Laurence Fox. 

Don’t give him too much credit; he and other far right commentators are also making comparisons to what Letby did and women who have abortions.

47 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Don’t give him too much credit; he and other far right commentators are also making comparisons to what Letby did and women who have abortions.

Agree, it's pretty awful when people use tragedy to push their own agendas and grift their way to more clicks and views.

1 hour ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

He's not worth paying attention to, really. Him & everyone on that channel are ridiculous people.

3 hours ago, Gaston de Foix said:

I'm a little late to this party, but does anyone know what the actual/official explanation for Sunak and Prince Willie not going to the WC Final was?

I think William made some comments about being green and not wanting to do a long haul flight for a short trip. AFAIK Sunak didn’t even bother with an excuse.

The replies are turned off which I find suspicious.

Damnit I can’t leave this up to insinuation I should bluntly state my accusation: I think the sun turned off the replies out of favor to Starmer because it’s an actual major accusation instead of the usual indiscretions that  bores people to tears.

Edited by Varysblackfyre321

Okay, where? The organization he was in charge of deliberately left an innocent man to rot.

I mean, you're either in favour of top-down accountability, or you're not.

And I do not believe for one second that the Jimmy Savile file did not pass his desk. The police have said that they asked the CPS for guidance on the issue while Starmer was DPP, and nothing was done.

Just another shit-head.

Edited by Spockydog