US Politics: Hell Yes THEY Were Trying to Overthrow the Government

Zorral

9 minutes ago, Kalnak the Magnificent said:

I do wish someone would beat the drum loudly and respond to the notion that these indictments are attempting to stop Trump from running by saying, point blank, that anyone can run for POTUS, even when behind bars, and these stop absolutely nothing.

To steel man them, at least some of them, I think the argument can be utilized that although it wouldn’t legally stop trump from running but it’d make it exponentially harder for him to campaign from a cell and demonize him to the average person. Hence seeing a lot of people say they’d vote for him despite any conviction.

Wait I shouldn’t say steel man, I agree with the sentiment.

Edited by Varysblackfyre321

7 minutes ago, Kalnak the Magnificent said:

I do wish someone would beat the drum loudly and respond to the notion that these indictments are attempting to stop Trump from running by saying, point blank, that anyone can run for POTUS, even when behind bars, and these stop absolutely nothing.

There’s a paper being published next week by two Federalist lawyers, or judges [can’t recall which] that cites a provision of the 14th Amendment [iirc] that would bar Trump from holding office or ever running again— if he’s convicted of any of these Federal or State charges surrounding the 2020 election.

There are crimes, then there are crimes.

16 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Although, our bet was about the boxes, not what came after. I still don’t think he’ll get any jail time for that. 

Fine print, Mellon Farmer. 

Jail time is jail time. And all of this will make it more likely he won't receive any mercy.

So what’s with Chris Christie griping about the Georgia charges? Saying that Smith’s indictment cover the same ground, and the indictments are just an ego trip for Willis. I understand De Santis, the great law and order governor/hypocrite, saying he’d pardon Trump if he was elected president, but I’m a bit surprised by Christie.

Imagine the Trump fan reaction should Trump's threats land him in pretrial detention for any length of time. Howls of 'freedom of speech.' Threats and possibly more than threats against judges and prosecutors. And Trump egging all this insanity from inside prison. 

11 minutes ago, ThinkerX said:

Imagine the Trump fan reaction should Trump's threats land him in pretrial detention for any length of time. Howls of 'freedom of speech.' Threats and possibly more than threats against judges and prosecutors. And Trump egging all this insanity from inside prison. 

In my head, I often go back to a conversation I had with a friend back in 2017. We were talking about what a clown Trump was and my friend was somewhat more mocking in his tone. I expressed to him my real worry:

As extreme as Trump supporters were behaving (in 2017); as insane as it is; how are these people going to react to a failed Trump presidency? 

We’ve been seeing that play out since Jan 6. It’s far from over. 

1 hour ago, JGP said:

There’s a paper being published next week by two Federalist lawyers, or judges [can’t recall which] that cites a provision of the 14th Amendment [iirc] that would bar Trump from holding office or ever running again— if he’s convicted of any of these Federal or State charges surrounding the 2020 election.

There are crimes, then there are crimes.

This is the paper: https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=4532751

It doesn't actually require a criminal conviction - instead it is self-executing with state and federal officials being lawfully required to kick Trump off the ballot for his actions in 2020.  It's been downloaded 36,000 times in a couple of weeks (which is a lot for an academic paper!), and is damn compelling.  Sad to say, none of this is reflected in Jack Smith's indictment.  

27 minutes ago, ThinkerX said:

I agree.  Trump would have been jailed if he were anyone else by now.  De-platforming works.  Pass it on.  Throw him in jail and ignore his words.  

More seriously, while we should take his threats incredibly seriously, any harm to a judge or prosecutor will just lead to their replacement by an equally implacably determined decision-maker.  

5 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Am I the only one amazed that Trump's kids remain unindicted?

I do find myself wondering at the quality of evidence for the Trump kid's criminal activities. Perhaps it is not as good as those on the left believe?

15 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Meanwhile in Georgia...

What is not mentioned, who appints the members of that commission

Been seeing that brought up a lot recently (obviously). In regards to Trump, the law would not go into effect until July 2024 I believe. I mean, obviously it's a shitty law, but this case will hopefully be unaffected.

Edited by Gertrude

25 minutes ago, Gertrude said:

Been seeing that brought up a lot recently (obviously). In regards to Trump, the law would not go into effect until July 2024 I believe. I mean, obviously it's a shitty law, but this case will hopefully be unaffected.

Maddow was talking about this yesterday-- it actually comes into effect in 8 weeks [low whistle]

edited for the s

Edited by JGP

6 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

It won’t stop there. There will be calls to criminalize fornication and a removal of women from employeement.

Surely you mean contraception. Even conservatives aren't giving up fucking.

5 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Fans of Donald Trump are painfully gullible.  That or they are painfully malicious.

It's not always an either/ or situation.

2 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

So what’s with Chris Christie griping about the Georgia charges? Saying that Smith’s indictment cover the same ground, and the indictments are just an ego trip for Willis. I understand De Santis, the great law and order governor/hypocrite, saying he’d pardon Trump if he was elected president, but I’m a bit surprised by Christie.

Idk, but I can't take someone who claims TFG is unfit for office and horrible etc, but also that he would vote for him, should he be the candidate.

1 hour ago, Gaston de Foix said:

This is the paper: https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=4532751

It doesn't actually require a criminal conviction - instead it is self-executing with state and federal officials being lawfully required to kick Trump off the ballot for his actions in 2020.  It's been downloaded 36,000 times in a couple of weeks (which is a lot for an academic paper!), and is damn compelling.  Sad to say, none of this is reflected in Jack Smith's indictment.  

The beauty is that these 2 are highly regarded in right-wing circles and originalists.

52 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Am I the only one amazed that Trump's kids remain unindicted?

No. Particularly Ivanka (& Jared). Then again, I also deeply miss Lindsey Graham's name in that otherwise sweet indictment.

Btw, I tried to access the new Giuliani grifter page but couldn't.

10 minutes ago, JGP said:

Maddow was talking about this yesterday-- it actually come into effect in 8 weeks [low whistle]

I heard about this a couple of months ago...

I was actually going to ask our resident lawyer if the Gergia GOP could sack Fani W... I guess that's answered now.

3 minutes ago, JGP said:

What they forbid (for the common folk) and what they do are very different things. I bet a ton of them have paid for abortions...

Edited by Mindwalker

5 minutes ago, JGP said:

I’m not talking about your Reagan era conservative(Reagan who sighted no fault divorce into law), but fascists who conservatives who’ve become too weak to oppose or don’t want to oppose.