Football: So it begins

Raja

In what world is that not a penalty

Typical old trafford nonsense lol

they're gonna come out with an apology in 6 months like they did with the ridiculous decision to not allow Martinelli's goal

Edited by Raja

How is that not a foul? Come on.

Not a particularly encouraging start for United despite looking like getting a win. Surprisingly good from Wolves though. I thought they were in trouble with Lopetegui jumping ship just before the start of the season but maybe not.

We were lucky to win that game. Wolves were the better side. Our preseason performances were not encouraging and we just got outplayed at home by a midtable side. Just like in preseason, our midfield has absolutely no control of the game and our pressing isn't good enough which means the opposition can counter at will. A better transition team would have torn us to shreds. This chaos-ball will get us nowhere and I can see us being on the end of some embarrassing scorelines again this season.

54 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

I must admit I’m not sure what the appeal of the extra long contracts is for the players. I assume they include high wages but if you’re Caicedo, a player who’s just had two big clubs fighting over him at 21, if you sign a standard five year contract you’re theoretically available again at 26 and you could leverage that into another big payday. An 8 year contract with the option of another year gives Chelsea all the leverage.

I wondered about that angle myself and was debating it back and forth with some friends as the Caicedo saga unfolded.  The group eventually decided that the long initial contract is just a floor because top performers can still agitate for higher wages mid-contract or else start a disaffected flirtation with another club.  Only Spurs was successful at keeping high performing players at below-market wages, and even then the disaffection eventually became a problem.

So the young player will still value the long contract that insures them against future injury or loss of form, and assume they can renegotiate wages in the future if their value rises.   It’ll be interesting to see how this plays out because Chelsea are the first club to embrace these 7-8 year contracts.  There’s a lot of unknown ahead for them and these players.

Even just wage inflation in football over the past 30 years would say that a player shouldn’t lock up fixed wages for 8 years.  They can always by injury insurance for themselves if they want.  We’ll see how long it is before Caicedo or Lavia want higher wages.

It's all very well punishing players and managers for becoming frustrated with match officials. But when you see shit like that, getting all up in their corrupt and/or incompetent faces seems perfectly reasonable.

Generally the standard in the women's world cup is high, but the goalkeepers are absolute dogshit, always have been in women's football.  I can't understand why there is such a much bigger gulf between the men and women at this one particular position.   Last 10 mins of the Spain v Sweden semi was entertaining at least. 

9 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Generally the standard in the women's world cup is high, but the goalkeepers are absolute dogshit, always have been in women's football.  I can't understand why there is such a much bigger gulf between the men and women at this one particular position.   Last 10 mins of the Spain v Sweden semi was entertaining at least. 

Goal size?

9 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Generally the standard in the women's world cup is high, but the goalkeepers are absolute dogshit, always have been in women's football.  I can't understand why there is such a much bigger gulf between the men and women at this one particular position.  

The standard of keeper coaching in women's football has been pretty poor for a long time. Many keepers aren't coached on the fundamentals early in their careers and only receive halfway decent coaching years into their professional careers.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/55710236

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/jun/01/goalkeepers-in-womens-football-and-what-is-fair-criticism?CMP=share_btn_tw