Resistance is Futile - H&M Part 5

Fragile Bird

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

‘Watching Heart of Invictus. Amazing.  

The tabloid media commentary is cheap bullshit by a bunch of fucking idiots. 

I binged four episodes, which I hardly ever do, still got the last to watch. It was gripping; all of the stories were moving and very involving. The Ukrainian footage was extraordinary.

I have a personal interest - daughter of a war-veteran, worked for the Australian Defence force for 34 years and have two serving nephews, one of whom served in the ME and has had to deal with some mental health issues. It absolutely enrages me that some in the media and online are losing sight of the veterans' stories in pursuit of their hatred for Harry. Even the Guardian's 4 star review was mean-spirited - 6 paragraphs of snarking at Harry (including about his daughter's name for ffs), 4 paragraphs of the actual review.

1 hour ago, Wall Flower said:

I binged four episodes, which I hardly ever do, still got the last to watch. It was gripping; all of the stories were moving and very involving. The Ukrainian footage was extraordinary.

I have a personal interest - daughter of a war-veteran, worked for the Australian Defence force for 34 years and have two serving nephews, one of whom served in the ME and has had to deal with some mental health issues. It absolutely enrages me that some in the media and online are losing sight of the veterans' stories in pursuit of their hatred for Harry. Even the Guardian's 4 star review was mean-spirited - 6 paragraphs of snarking at Harry (including about his daughter's name for ffs), 4 paragraphs of the actual review.

In The Guardian

8 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

@Wall Flower to be fair, it is the shittest name I've ever heard in my life. 

I mean, in a world where a South African billionaire named his child something unpronounceable I guess that’s right because you never HEARD that name :P?  But still, Apple Martin, Moon Unit Zappa and all of Jamie Oliver’s children would like to have a word….

5 minutes ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

I mean, in a world where a South African billionaire named his child something unpronounceable I guess that’s right because you never HEARD that name :P?  But still, Apple Martin, Moon Unit Zappa and all of Jamie Oliver’s children would like to have a word….

They are stupid rather than shit. H&M chose a shit name. 

10 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

@Wall Flower to be fair, it is the shittest name I've ever heard in my life. 

That's dumb.

Also, it's what they called The Queen, second revered of her name, etc. So the daughter's named for her great-grandmother and grandmother.  There's nothing turdish in it.

15 minutes ago, Zorral said:

That's dumb.

Also, it's what they called The Queen, second revered of her name, etc. So the daughter's named for her great-grandmother and grandmother.  There's nothing turdish in it.

It's not even a name. It sounds fucking simple.

My son can't pronounce our daughters name so he calls her yehyeh. That's not a name either, so we aren't going to carry it on. 

You’re all missing the point. 

The point is a seeming intelligent meat sack thought it was appropriate to stunt on a two year old girl, in print, over her fucking name. Time was a so-and-so would get slapped around for that kind of thing.

But hey Guardian, way to speak truth to power you old stalwart lefty rag. 

p.s. They don’t like the name? Add this to the list of the petty grievances, crush them all into a ball, and jam the ball up your ass.

Again, they are well rid of that place.

Edited by Deadlines? What Deadlines?

4 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

You’re all missing the point. 

The point is a seeming intelligent meat sack thought it was appropriate to stunt on a two year old girl, in print, over her fucking name. Time was a so-and-so would get slapped around for that kind of thing.

But hey Guardian, way to speak truth to power you old stalwart lefty rag. 

p.s. They don’t like the name? Add this to the ready of the petty grievances, crush them all into a ball, and jam the ball up your ass.

Again, they are well rid of that place.

I subscribe to the Guardian Australia, so while it does give access to some elements of the UK paper, I'm not all that familiar with the UK columnists. It was a review by Lucy Mangan  and the dig at Lilibet was one of a number of cheap shots that had nothing to do with a what was supposed to be review of a program about wounded veterans competing in the Invictus Games.

There's a certain irony in the way the British press complains about the Sussexes making things all about themselves by making things all about the Sussexes; whinges incessantly about Harry's whinging and writes endless articles about how sick they are of Sussexes. Even some of the so-called respectable journalists seem happy to jump on the lazy bandwagon and are reluctant to examine, let alone criticise, the behaviour of their own industry. 

Luckily, someone has kept a firm grip on Harry, heading off any sliding into personal vendettas before it can pollute the atmosphere. He is clearly still furious about the leak regarding his presence in Afghanistan that meant he had to leave 10 weeks into his tour but – he mentions the lack of support around him when he faced his “unravelling” thereafter – you can practically hear the groan of effort as he pulls himself out of the potential dive into score settling.

This reminds me of the chapter in Spare that had me clenching my fists and tightening my jaw like a man about to choose violence.

For context, he was originally supposed to be deployed to Iraq, but that got leaked by the press. Afghanistan was chosen for his deployment. The English media agreed to leave him alone as long as  they got access; which itself is a pretty slimy business. Imagine, the one member of the British Armed Forces that the Taliban would most love to assassinate happens to be the only member of said armed forces that has to “perform” for the media.

In the end, an Australian web site was the first to leak it. Within a few days it was worldwide. He had to leave because the fucking Taliban were looking for him. 

He has every right to hold that grudge. 

Edited by Deadlines? What Deadlines?

9 hours ago, polishgenius said:

I'm confused, the Guardian is free. Unless there's some incredibly neeky region-specific paywall, what are you paying for?

I'm a voluntary subscriber the Guardian Australia (and a couple of other news services) to allow them to operate as a counter to the influence of the Evil Empire (otherwise known as News Limited).

If they start making more appearances they'll be needy, grasping attention seekers who are leveraging their kids for publicity.

If they don't make more appearances they'll be shiftless and ungrateful deadbeats who suck on the royal teat without earning their keep.

On 9/3/2023 at 5:29 PM, DanteGabriel said:

If they start making more appearances they'll be needy, grasping attention seekers who are leveraging their kids for publicity.

If they don't make more appearances they'll be shiftless and ungrateful deadbeats who suck on the royal teat without earning their keep.

On the infatuation with the kids: I will just say it is really creepy for adult strangers to demand visual access to kids they’ve never met for their own enjoyment.

Not Prince Andrew Creepy. But still creepy. .

Edited by Varysblackfyre321

31 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

On the infatuation with the kids: I will just say it is really creepy for adult strangers to demand visual access to kids they’ve never met for their own enjoyment.

Not Prince Andrew Creepy. But still creepy. .

Certainly, I'm sure there is some sort of conspiracy between the press and Prince Andrew to get pictures of the royal children. 

#PizzaExpressGate.