US Politics: He's so indicted, he just can't abide by it...

Mindwalker

7 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

I disagree—his ego I think would eclipse his greed

He would magically shrink when tax season came around.  

So today's the Republican debate.  Are you as stoked as I am? Asa Hutchinson for the win! (as the non-Trump serving, normie Republican who spoke out at least once during Trump's presidency when Trump did and said abhorrent things he's the least morally compromised and the obvious choice.  Pence is much more compromised but also the only one who has walked the walk when it counted).  

Some predictions so y'all can mock me later.  

1. Ramaswamy is going to take a lot of fire for his 9/11 truther comments.  At this point, I'm halfway convinced that'll just make the Republlican base love him more.  He's going to be the first person to defend Trump.   Ain't no opportunist like a wildly over-achieving Desi opportunist.  It's going to be an interesting tension for the debaters between the desire to suck up to the elite interlocutors and repudiate Jan.6 and the incoherent and coarse instincts of the base.  I could easily see it going either way; descending into a fractious argument over the meaning of Jan.6 or a round of applause from all the debaters for Pence's actions that day.  Maybe even both).  

2.  Chris Christie is the best debater up there, but the mainstream media has been taking it easy on him and not pointing his four years of slavishly supporting Trump before Nov. 2020 (not to mention role in endorsing Trump in 2016).  We'll see if any of his rivals call him out.  It may not even be worth their while to fight for the 4-6% anti-Trump Republican vote.  

3.  Pence is a good debater in a 1-on-1 format.  Not sure he has the fire in his belly for grabbing the mic in this format.   

4.  RDS will continue to speak in All-American Platitude (TM) about the Florida Model (TM) and stay conspicuously silent about Jan.6.  Now that the memo has been made public expect him to nonetheless do exactly what the memo said because he really is that bad a politician.  

5.  Tim Scott will continue to be Republican while Black and therefore get an easy pass from everyone involved.  It's OK, Tim.  Real courage is staying silent and never doing anything important or noteworthy.   As long as you and Cory Booker keep saying sweet nothings publicly about each other, the world will just pretend the two of you didn't fuck up police reform.  

6.   Nikki Haley will attack Ramaswamy on foreign policy which tells you all you need to know how about the poetic justice of a former governor and UN ambassador being outmanuevered by someone whose only real talent is a gift for self-publicity. Oh wait.  That's both of them.  The OG desi sellout facing off against 2.0.  

7.  Doug Burgum is also here.  Hi Doug! Thanks for the $100.  Don't give up, your mom believes in you. 

7 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Don't they measure height and weight as part of the booking process? When does that happen?

I'm guessing a hair over 300 lbs. A 20 lbs. hair. 

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if he was allowed to mail these measurements in, just like his mugshot.

8 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Don't they measure height and weight as part of the booking process? When does that happen?

I'm guessing a hair over 300 lbs. A 20 lbs. hair. 

Depends. Full diaper or fresh one?

3 hours ago, Gaston de Foix said:

RDS will continue to speak in All-American Platitude (TM) about the Florida Model (TM) and stay conspicuously silent about Jan.6.  Now that the memo has been made public expect him to nonetheless do exactly what the memo said because he really is that bad a politician.  

You forgot to mention woke.

4 hours ago, Gaston de Foix said:

So today's the Republican debate.  Are you as stoked as I am?

I'm less than ten miles from the Fiserv Forum and I can decide if it is the debate or the 100 degree heat that's keeping me from wanting to do anything outdoors today...

Next summer is going to suck soooooo much...

Edited by Jaxom 1974

7 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Ramaswamy is either going to come out of the debate as a star or he's going to get destroyed. That's probably going to be the most interesting thing to watch for.  

You assume those things are mutually exclusive?

He can make a total ass of himself, and still be liked by the GOP electorate.

13 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

You assume those things are mutually exclusive?

He can make a total ass of himself, and still be liked by the GOP electorate.

I can see a repeat of 2016 when Christie absolutely wrecked Rubio. It won't help his chances just like it didn't back then, but he can do a lot of damage Ramaswamy and I suspect like has been mentioned DeSantis and Haley are going to go after him as well. Scott probably has the most to gain tonight. Smart money is that he stays "mostly positive" at least by conservative standards and won't get attacked too much. Everyone else not mentioned above does not matter. 

Doug Burgum may not be able to make tonight's event as he injured himself playing basketball and thus may not be able to stand for the two hours marked out.  

I, for one, remain firmly convinced the reason the treasonous racketeer refuses to debate is that he can't stay on stage for a full two hours either, as he's dependent on Depends, as has been reported by those who are in a position to know of his incontinency.

Burgum’s injury, first reported by CNN, occurred while he was playing a game of pickup basketball with his staff Tuesday night, the person said. Burgum was taken to a hospital in Milwaukee, the city where the first GOP debate is being held. The extent of his injury remains unclear. The person familiar with the situation said Burgum was out of the hospital as of Wednesday morning but that it was not known whether he would be able to stand during the debate, which is expected to last two hours.

The way the right hyperfixates on detransitioners is just a reiteration of how they fixated on ex-gays.

I expect as homophobia ramps up there will be more and more coverage of people who regretted being apart of a same sex couple, and people raised by same-sex couples coming out to condemn it(sex matters, give children a diverse upbringing, mothers are important).

38 minutes ago, mormont said:

As well as everyone else actually mentioned above.

We'll see. Eventually his legal troubles are probably going to catch up to him. Another candidate could emerge. Problem is there's no other clear strong option right now. 

11 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

We'll see. Eventually his legal troubles are probably going to catch up to him. Another candidate could emerge. Problem is there's no other clear strong option right now. 

A recent NH poll showed there is a clear majority of Republican voters that prefers an alternative to Trump.   

The problem is not just that they are not unified behind one candidate but that possibly no candidate exists that could unify them.  It's not as if they don't have choices.  RDS could have done it if he was halfway competent at politics.  

30 minutes ago, Gaston de Foix said:

A recent NH poll showed there is a clear majority of Republican voters that prefers an alternative to Trump.   

The problem is not just that they are not unified behind one candidate but that possibly no candidate exists that could unify them.  It's not as if they don't have choices.  RDS could have done it if he was halfway competent at politics.  

The GOP establishment needed to keep the race limited with 2 at most three alternatives to Trump.