Who are your favorite characters and why?

Back in Black-Snow

8 minutes ago, Odej said:

Jaime Lannister: I love the turn of tables that overtakes him after he lost the two things that had defined him his entire life: his skill with a sword and his incestous relationship with Cersei.

Sansa Stark: The naive little girl who had all of dreams shattered having to learn to play the grown-up game and potentially outwitting her tutor, that's my thing.

Brynden Rivers: What can I say? He makes horny.

Jaime believed to be the Dragonknight, that's why he did those things, the Dragonknight was considered the most honorable man ever existed in Westeros, there were some rumors about Aemon and Naerys. Robert was similar to the Unworthy

14 minutes ago, Back in Black-Snow said:

Okay? Go on... This is interesting. Go ahead and include it here if you wish. Perhaps worthy of its own OP, though?

Nah, all the Sansa fans get super upset and accuse me of not being a Sansa fan, and im all like, wth? If a new OP should be had I think it should be on Stannis and his sense of humor. But idk if thats got legs, although I was also thinking of making like a analyze the hell outta my favorite passages scenes cuz we dont really do that here, we usually go very general. Like an OP can be when Arya says "you shouldnt have hit me with the axe (you shoulda let me die, im nothing now?), "you shoulda saved my mother (you should have died with me, how can i give you mercy now?) Thats my take, like why was Sandor asking for death? Why didnt Arya give it, is mercy and murder different?... But idk if thats got legs either.

But yea, ok. Sansa moves mountains, from the first few pages Ned acts like hes totally turning down this job and has no idea why Roberts trying, then he mentions Sansa and Ned falls in line (Cat really). Lots of the antagonism, or at least Ladys death really shapes Neds and Aryas narrative as well as Cerseis and Joffs and then of course Sansa is the one who tells her father that Joff isnt Roberts and blows the casket. Sansa writes Robb a letter and he goes to war, pretty much over her.
*insert theory* Tyrion sent Petyr to treat with Tyrell after Renlys assassination and the price that Olenna and Petyr agreed to was the murder of Tyrion and the kidnapping of Sansa to Highgarden, however Petyr double-crossed her and took her to the Vale. For this theory to work the pigeon pie was poisoned not the wine (which like I really think it was, only when I came here did I see people thought it was the wine)*
Regardless you got Joff then Lysa all falling over each other. Its her. She obviously doesnt mean to, I mean Lysa was straight up trying to kill her and all Sansa did was hug the pillar. But like if she hear Lysas ramblings Lysa wouldnt have died. Sansa may have told Ned that Joff isnt Roberts, but she didnt know what the fuck she was talking about either. Nevertheless, the world spins. 
Tyrion walks right up to Cat with a big ass smile and just like begs to get arrested and start the war, again like Sansa he has know idea what the hell hes saying but so be it. He has a bit more free will, (maybe?) then Sansa and like saves KL instead of singing with Cersei. If you wanna chalk it up to his alliance with Tyrell or the fact that he scraped the fuck out of Stannis who lost his entire army without a foothold. Although freewill? Hes fighting for Joff, or maybe Cersei, or Tywin. All want him dead, he knows that and in the next book they all try their hardest to kill him (except maybe not Tywin who refuses to acknowledge his shit doesnt stink?) So why does he do it? It just nature to him, like singing with Cersei is to Sansa. And now hes just on the vengeance, taking Tywin out and rearranging the board because as Tyrion says "otherwise he woulda taken the crossbow away from me". When he tells Aegon to war without dragons because reasons and thinks got em, Idk if thats vengeance based or freewill based but its a wildcard. Now hes hooking up with Dany? Probably not gonna be the most honest hand?

3 minutes ago, Hugorfonics said:

Nah, all the Sansa fans get super upset and accuse me of not being a Sansa fan, and im all like, wth? If a new OP should be had I think it should be on Stannis and his sense of humor. But idk if thats got legs, although I was also thinking of making like a analyze the hell outta my favorite passages scenes cuz we dont really do that here, we usually go very general. Like an OP can be when Arya says "you shouldnt have hit me with the axe (you shoulda let me die, im nothing now?), "you shoulda saved my mother (you should have died with me, how can i give you mercy now?) Thats my take, like why was Sandor asking for death? Why didnt Arya give it, is mercy and murder different?... But idk if thats got legs either.

But yea, ok. Sansa moves mountains, from the first few pages Ned acts like hes totally turning down this job and has no idea why Roberts trying, then he mentions Sansa and Ned falls in line (Cat really). Lots of the antagonism, or at least Ladys death really shapes Neds and Aryas narrative as well as Cerseis and Joffs and then of course Sansa is the one who tells her father that Joff isnt Roberts and blows the casket. Sansa writes Robb a letter and he goes to war, pretty much over her.
*insert theory* Tyrion sent Petyr to treat with Tyrell after Renlys assassination and the price that Olenna and Petyr agreed to was the murder of Tyrion and the kidnapping of Sansa to Highgarden, however Petyr double-crossed her and took her to the Vale. For this theory to work the pigeon pie was poisoned not the wine (which like I really think it was, only when I came here did I see people thought it was the wine)*
Regardless you got Joff then Lysa all falling over each other. Its her. She obviously doesnt mean to, I mean Lysa was straight up trying to kill her and all Sansa did was hug the pillar. But like if she hear Lysas ramblings Lysa wouldnt have died. Sansa may have told Ned that Joff isnt Roberts, but she didnt know what the fuck she was talking about either. Nevertheless, the world spins. 
Tyrion walks right up to Cat with a big ass smile and just like begs to get arrested and start the war, again like Sansa he has know idea what the hell hes saying but so be it. He has a bit more free will, (maybe?) then Sansa and like saves KL instead of singing with Cersei. If you wanna chalk it up to his alliance with Tyrell or the fact that he scraped the fuck out of Stannis who lost his entire army without a foothold. Although freewill? Hes fighting for Joff, or maybe Cersei, or Tywin. All want him dead, he knows that and in the next book they all try their hardest to kill him (except maybe not Tywin who refuses to acknowledge his shit doesnt stink?) So why does he do it? It just nature to him, like singing with Cersei is to Sansa. And now hes just on the vengeance, taking Tywin out and rearranging the board because as Tyrion says "otherwise he woulda taken the crossbow away from me". When he tells Aegon to war without dragons because reasons and thinks got em, Idk if thats vengeance based or freewill based but its a wildcard. Now hes hooking up with Dany? Probably not gonna be the most honest hand?

Okay. Let me try and separate this into some paragraphs. Then I try to respond to it.

Cersei is immense fun, even though completely despicable.

Roose Bolton is the cool villain one can’t help but admire.

Dany is the Turin Turambar of the story, noble, heroic, but ultimately doomed.

Arya’s journey is so heartbreaking.  She has such good instincts and has had to face utter horror.

Jon really grows into the role of Lord Commander, but his devotion to family could be the fatal flaw that destroys him …

The fatal flaw exploited by Tyrion, the Walter White/Iago of this story.  The man who will never forgive the woman he loves, Dany, for loving Jon.

Edited by SeanF

And also, I just want to remind. I do want everyone to have freedom in how they answer, but I do not want to abandon the OP and its premise. So let's not stray too far from that, please.

(I am sorry. I don't mean to be a dick.)

Edited by Back in Black-Snow
to add

This is going to be boring, but it’s true. I love reading all PoV characters except Tyrion, Dumb & Dumber aka Damphair & Victarion, Hotah, BBQ Boy Quentyn. 

My favourite characters are Jaime, Jon, Dany, Arya, Bran, Sansa, Brienne, Davos, Stannis, Bloodraven Tormund.

3 minutes ago, KingAerys_II said:

What Wyman did in his handful pages: murdered some Freys and turned them into pig pies, the North Remembers speech, he delivered to Roose Bolton the head of a man similar to Davos, he ordered Davos to send him Rickon

Pretty jam-packed, right? My 1-5 was kinda random, off the top of my head. There are SO MANY!

That's why I started this post. Should be interesting.

Samwell - Reminds me of me: a total misfit.  Insecure; bookish; poor physical attributes (though I was a skinny weakling, not fat); uncomfortable around women (but definitely not gay); and generally shy.  Spent time in a military outfit and better for it.  An absolute misfit but still has a sunny disposition.

Brienne- Another misfit.  Shrugs off slights and insults but you know they sting.  I love her decency and single minded focus on her goal and doing the right thing.  Has some sort of connection to most of the main characters.

The sisters: Sansa and Arya - The future of House Stark.  Sansa is comfortable at court and in high places.  She's learning to deal with and use power.  Arya is comfortable out in the world and in low places.  She's learning how to be sneaky and find stuff out.  I love seeing them grow and seeing their innate decency not destroyed by their experiences.  And I look forward to them working together.

Sandor Clegane - Is rough, gruff, and sometimes mean to Sansa, but you can tell he really cares about her and means well.  Has some complicated thoughts, especially about the Stark girls.

Jeyne Poole - I'm amazed at her resilience and ability to keep going despite enduring experiences that are truly horrific, especially at 13.  Connected to numerous characters, so I expect her to make some noise in the near future.

Podrick - Steadfastly loyal and persistent.  Can complete any task he sets his mind to and sticks by those he gets attached to.

Meera Reed - Competent and loyal.  She's keeping their little band together and moving in the right direction. 

Edited by Nevets

Ser. Barristan, he just seems like a really nice guy, who tries to do the right thing. He's also an amazing fighter and sort or reminds me of myself, given my tendency to over workout. My friends often joke that I'll still be running marathons when I'm 70, lol

I also love Sansa, because she feels like the type of character who normally would never be a main character in a fantasy story. You hardly ever get a fantasy character who is vulnerable, the way Sansa is, for much of the story.

Victarion is a comedy factory and his chapters are very funny. I can't believe George originally planned to kill him off, in AFFC. Part of me wonders if George wrote Moqorro as a stand in for himself, when choosing to have him be the character who saved Victarion's life. I know the guy is a villain and really evil, but he's such a fun character, I just don't care, lol

Edited by sifth

20 minutes ago, Back in Black-Snow said:

What do you mean here? And who do you think is her "modern equivalent"?

Mainly that she and other teenagers in the story appear more mature and capable than teens in the modern world, such as in America, where I'm from.  I think it's historically accurate, but can be disconcerting for modern readers.  I like it though.

But I don't want to distract from the OP.

38 minutes ago, Nevets said:

Mainly that she and other teenagers in the story appear more mature and capable than teens in the modern world, such as in America, where I'm from.  I think it's historically accurate, but can be disconcerting for modern readers.  I like it though.

But I don't want to distract from the OP.

I was 12 when the world around me fell apart and I got thrown into the strong winds. I HAD to be "more mature and capable". I didn't have any other choice. I live right here in Indiana.

7 hours ago, Back in Black-Snow said:

I was 12 when the world around me fell apart and I got thrown into the strong winds. I HAD to be "more mature and capable". I didn't have any other choice. I live right here in Indiana.

Sorry about that.  Just going off what I've seen, heard, and read.  I'll take it out; it's not that important.

ETA: For what it's worth, most posters here think the younger characters are unrealistically young for their thoughts and actions.  I'm guessing that's because it doesn't match their own perceptions of people that age.  Hence my comment.

Edited by Nevets

1. Bran. He is such a strong and resilient young boy. I admire his unfailing kindness and generosity, despite the grief he has suffered, and is suffering. He has some of the most touching moments; forgiving Theon, doing his best to protect the people of Winterfell, his willingness to sacrifice Summer to save Jon, etc. And not allowing his disability to define him or hold him back. He's my brave little boy. 

2. Sansa, for similar reasons. She's beaten, shunned, and isolated, surrounded by enemies, and each time she begins to confide or place trust in someone they let her down. She's given terrible advice from terrible people, and she chooses to ignore it. She is kind, compassionate, and empathetic, even to her enemies. I think the poetic language of her chapters are beautiful.

3. Aeron. Look, hear me out.. I just love his POVs as I find them interesting. But also, he's the type of person I would enjoy teasing. The Greyjoys as a whole are an entertaining mess, and I love it.

4. Catelyn. My goodness. She is so compelling. Someone once pointed out the contrast between the conversations of Ned/Cersei and Cat/Jaime. Cersei and Jaime admit the truth of their children to Ned and Cat. Ned responds with compassion and mercy. Cat tells Jaime to go fuck himself. :rofl: And then she gives us this line..

"Ned always said that the man who passes the sentence should swing the blade, though he never took any joy in the duty. But I would, oh, yes.”

:bowdown: I literally worship her.

Tyrion: by far the most entertaining character, deeply flawed in a human way while capable of great kindness

Catelyn: perhaps the most "realistic" POV character. It's amazing how she tries to conform to the standards of the world as a woman when her personality is closer to Arya's.

Dany: didn't like her in my first read, but grow closer to her after I saw how much hate she gets. She is a very unique female character (allowed to be feminine and a leader at the same time, fierce longing for home), but her supporting cast is very weak.

Stannis: a very well written Shakespearean tragic hero, the most layered non-POV character.  He is also unintentionally hilarious, but in a cool (and not embarrassing like Victarion) sort of way.

Theon: his identity arc (and the general atmosphere of her chapters in ADWD) is the best in the series.

He is pretty much the only important character the show haven't completely butchered, so I feel he will get the same end in the books (dying defending the Starks, accepting that he is "a Greyjoy and a Stark" at the same time)

Edited by csuszka1948

1. Daenerys Targaryen.  My favorite character of all.  Beautiful, charming, incredibly intelligent, and the protagonists.
  2. Barristan Selmy.  He has the best background story and it is not over yet.  I feel there are more adventures for the old boy.
  3. Drogon, Rhaegal, and Viserion.  Dany's dragons give a boost of an interest to an otherwise overly long novels.
  4. Tyrion Lannister 
  5. Jorah
  6. Cersei
  7. Viserys

I don't think I'd want to spend too much time with the guy, but I enjoy the hell out of Victarion Greyjoy's chapters. I giggle like a kid who just heard a new curse word.

It's not so much her character as her perspective, but I also really enjoy Brienne's chapters. When I read negative comments about Feast I just don't get it.

Of the main three I think I would rate them Jon, Tyrion, Danny. Would have been Tyrion, Jon, Dany pre dance, but Tyrion gets a little hard to take at times during dance. Dany's 'I'm just an innocent girl and know little of these things' or whatever she actually says kind of hurts her in my eyes in ways that things like crucified masters and sleeping with douchebags like Daario don't. The author lets her get away with it too much and it just feels like we're all in on a cheap joke that these idiot locals in slaver's bay don't get. Reduces everyone involved.

I enjoy all of the doomed pretenders except for Euron.  I enjoy the Iron Born's struggle with Euron, but my skin crawls when he's on page.

The only POV character I don't really care for is Cat. Honestly I think she's a casualty of rereads, I didn't have troubles with her the first time through.  She's so negative though, and so smug. It's not that it doesn't fit, given what she's been through by Storm, it's just hard to read (the fourth or so time).

Favorite minor character is Nimble Dick.