Baldur's Gate 3: Quicksave is my favourite spell

Luzifer's right hand

Just now, grozeng said:

My Paladin kept missing when I tried attacking him and Lazeal was doing 9-10 points of damage, so it would take 10+ turns to kill him.

Hmm. How is your paladin built and what are they using for attacks? And are you level 2 yet? (I thought you got to level 2 by that time). 

You can also cast bless on both you and the mind flayer and lae'zel to make your attacks more likely.

1 hour ago, grozeng said:

So basically you are saying keep reloading until Command works :)

That's up to you, depends on how you want to play the game.  Some people have their own rules against it.  But best to just do whatever you think is most fun.

5 minutes ago, grozeng said:

I didn't switch anything from what they started with and I was still Level 1, so maybe I missed something.  I maxed out Charisma and put 1 point in Strength (I think). 

I think I may start over.

I think you're going to want Strength as your primary stat, since that's what impacts your ability to hit and your damage.  And then Charisma and Constitution as second/third most important in some order.  Keep your Dexterity at something respectable for your initiative, but not worth making it great (assuming you're using a Strength build).  Probably set Intelligence and Wisdom to the minimum.  They're useful for checks and saves, but ultimately the other stats are going to be more important for your class.

To offer a bit of a counterpoint and perhaps spare you the effort while the sword is ok and as an experienced player I do generally kill th guy and use it for a bit I think it's being oversold somewhat. I feel that the added damage on it is overvalued by new players Vs a flat +1 enchantment which I would argue is superior as it also raises your chance to hit. There are many interesting weapons that lack added damage dice but have other effects or the flat +1 that you may pass over if you look only for damage dice. Also you can achieve the extra fire damage by using dip on any not on fire sword on a source of fire (like a candle you can carry with you) if you wish. 

The canisters filled with purple liquid found throughout the ship are highly explosive, collected them as you make your way to the bridge and drop them next to the two combatants and let the Ithillid take the commanders health down as much as he can before he dies, then ignite the canisters immediately.  May be enough to take him down.  Could also send Us in to add damage on the commander, if you freed him. 

On 1/26/2024 at 6:19 PM, Leofric said:

The canisters filled with purple liquid found throughout the ship are highly explosive, collected them as you make your way to the bridge and drop them next to the two combatants and let the Ithillid take the commanders health down as much as he can before he dies, then ignite the canisters immediately.  May be enough to take him down.  Could also send Us in to add damage on the commander, if you freed him. 

I think I killed Us.  I figured a Paladin wouldn't align with anything on the ship that wasn't trying to escape.

I am very aggravated right now. I decided to download some mods, specifically the increase party number one and now on new games there is no dice roll and it causes the game to get stuck. I deleted the mods but it is still doing it. I googled around to see possible fxes and one of them is to go to gameplay options and to make sure Enable Dice Roll is clicked. Problem I have is that isn't showing up. All there is enable karmic dice which does nothing. Anybody able to give advice on this?

ETA: Ok, fixed it. There was a couple of mod files left and iwas able to remove them. Dice are back.

Edited by Trebla

Continuing from the VG thread, yes, there's 123 years between Baldur's Gate 1 and Baldur's Gate 3, during which time the population of Baldur's Gate doubled, the world of Toril merged with its shadow-twin world of Abeir for a century, the Goddess of Magic was apparently murdered (in reality she went undercover as a bear before staging a comeback, as you do), the gods all fell into infighting before the entire pantheon was rebooted, the continent exploded, the continent then un-exploded and some serious time travel bullshit went down.

It's rather unsurprising that Baldur's Gate is so much bigger and different to what it was in the first game after all that (note: the game does a piss-poor job of explaining any of this, I think WotC are trying to forget half these things ever happened).

Larian seriously need to fix their inventory management system. 

I just spent an hour in Act 3 re-equipping everyone after breaking out of prison. The lack of a unified screen which shows me everyone's inventory and the main inventory in this day and age is bewildering. It's like they learned nothing from Pillars of Eternity. 

And why do obvious stackable items like arrows and bolts not stack? It boggles the mind.

1 hour ago, IlyaP said:

Larian seriously need to fix their inventory management system. 

I just spent an hour in Act 3 re-equipping everyone after breaking out of prison. The lack of a unified screen which shows me everyone's inventory and the main inventory in this day and age is bewildering. It's like they learned nothing from Pillars of Eternity. 

And why do obvious stackable items like arrows and bolts not stack? It boggles the mind.

Well there is the inventory screen (tab key) for all 4 of your party. Plus they have now made it possible to see what people at camp have in their inventory. So they have clearly understood there is an issue. It's not a good inventory system though. I feel like there needs to be a less manual way of assigning things to 'wares', because it all feels rather tedious. 

As well as that, the sorting system is just bad, it's like they looked about to sort things in Windows 11 and just copied that. Technically searching for items is kind of powerful, but the interface is clunky and not usable. 

44 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Is there a pause button in the game? Faced those situations where I gotta use the bathroom during lengthy cutscenes lol 

Unlike BG1/2, there is no proper "pause" in this game. Which, honestly, after 40 hours, is...not something I could say strikes me as a legit grievance, but I can see or can at least imagine how it could annoy or irk someone, especially if player characters happen to be within striking distance of enemies or cut-scene-triggering characters.

I honestly don't understand how Larian didn't do some basic market/design research and not implement two different game modes and not have a UI that doesn't *blow literal chunks*. Love me BG3 for the most part (turn-based garbage aside*), but the interface is just awful

*No, I will not be taking any questions at this time. Personal preference and taste is personal preference and taste.

3 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Well there is the inventory screen (tab key) for all 4 of your party. Plus they have now made it possible to see what people at camp have in their inventory. So they have clearly understood there is an issue. It's not a good inventory system though. I feel like there needs to be a less manual way of assigning things to 'wares', because it all feels rather tedious. 

You know how you have to equip everyone after the prison scene? 

I did that, which took me AN HOUR, because I had to move stuff between my play_char and everyone else, and then move all that into the party chest, to make it easier for everyone to re-equip their stuff...

AND THEN THE GAME CRASHED. 

And I lost an hour of time. 

At which point I hoped out of BG3 for the foreseeable future. Because fark this nonsense and bad interior camera nonsense in Baldur's Gate.

6 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

I managed to skip the prison scene. Didn't want to go through that!

I...what? You can't! The game, as far as I know, doesn't let you!

You end up in Wyrm's Whatever, and somehow (SOMEHOW) in your *armor* but sans weapons. 

AND WITH ALL YOUR SPELLS.

Because who cares about logic or reason, right?! 

Genuinely what prison scene? My party was never jailed.

Also I say this with understanding that it is not at all the best or most intuitive system but I still feel like you must have made it excessively hard to equip your gear if it took that long and are thus getting an even worse impression of it than is maybe justified. Are you on console? I imagine it may be harder there. On PC I would just click on the gear slot and then it shows me all the items I could equip from anyone's inventory in my party, or hit tab and then drag the items from my character to their equipment slots, and for quickly moving large numbers of items.you can shift click to select a range or ctrl click to individually select multiple items, as in Windows.