Football: Guirassy-ing to victory

polishgenius

Good result today for Liverpool and very good for the wider title race (Spurs and Arsenal will be happiest of all) but not a great performance.  It definitely matters that Liverpool’s squad played a lot of international minutes (and some long travel), while City kept a lot of their players at home to rest and prepare.

Liverpool look a bit leggy already this early in the season, especially Szoboszlai.  Szoboszlai and MacAllister in particular are playing a lot of minutes for club and country and are not getting as much rotation as the others.  Thiago and Bajcetic are both still out with long term injuries but their presence seems to mean we don’t want to sign another midfielder that could result in longer term over-supply (even though Thiago is out of contract next summer IIRC).  I think we desperately need a true #6 with recovery pace. 

Matip did very well today and Tsimikas showed a good improvement over recent form.  Nunez is growing in confidence this season for club and country but still not someone to rely on clinically taking chances to decide matches.

Liverpool have been much better at home than away this season, have been in weaker form of late, and early kick-offs after international breaks are especially tough for us — there were a lot of headwinds today for such a crucial clash so very glad it didn’t produce a points swing to City.

Okay. Today Bryne FK had their first playoff match for qualification to Tippeligaen. We were facing IK Start away, from Kristiansand, a team we lost to three weeks ago on the same ground. So a hard match. 

Still, a big mobilization from the supporters. 500 went to see the game (which is *a lot* for us - away stand in normal games show between 5 and 30 supporters). Some anonymous benefactor had bought train tickets for the supporters (not sure how many, but a lot there too), rumour has it said supporter also scored a goal today. 

Anyway, a big deal, a lot of people had looked forward to the game. I was doing a mental countdown before watching on my PC at home. 

And then - the game is cancelled. Turns out IK Start are having some economic challenges, and decided earlier this week not to turn on the heating under the field. Given that the temperature was supposed to drop below zero celsius, this might seem a gamble, and - indeed - the ground was frozen. Not medically advisable to play there. 

Have to say, that's one of the more brain dead desicions I've seen. Now, Start is a bigger club than us, but this *should* see us advance to the next playoff stage by default. 

And, for the record, we have no business in Tippeligaen whatsoever. So promotion would mean a year of losing before getting relegated.

11 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

How are man utd above us and our goal difference is 18 goals better after this few games? 

Even Homer was able to sell his soul and outsmart the Devil. What you lot did must have been far worse. 

How we didn't score I'll never know - we had probably as many good chances than United had, but we finished terribly.

Can't win games when you do that.

On the plus side, Bryne FK was awarded a win after yesterday's cancellation, and are through to the next playoff round.

yooooo

1 hour ago, Rorshach said:

How we didn't score I'll never know - we had probably as many good chances than United had, but we finished terribly.

Can't win games when you do that.

I think you'd quite likely have won if Onana had played. One of the things he's great at is progressing the ball calmly. In his absence Gueye (and others, but most egregiously him) kept just asking DLC to play hold-up player by punting the ball towards him from 40 yards. As a result even when he did manage it the buildup was more rushed and the chances weren't as clean as they could have been.