US Politics: Dominoes falling, GOP failing, what a time to be alive!

LongRider

In the past few years, I've often felt despair at the rise of this version of the far Right, both in the US and elsewhere, but one aspect of it in the US is how much more incompetent and fractious it is. Of course, if you're going to have Donald Trump as your leader, you will attract dipshits of equal quality. 

It seems the basic organizational cost of having a large group of tantrum throwing, self-obsessed, immoral fucktards in one power bloc is coming due. I have never felt schadenfreude at this scale before. Probably has to do with all the other crap in the world.

55 minutes ago, LongRider said:

Who will be the next to flip?  

When I flip, you flip, we flip needs to be the remix.

53 minutes ago, Zorral said:

The Gop Death Musical Chairs Games continue:

House speaker vote live updates: Emmer drops out, 2 candidates back in
"We're in a very bad place," former Speaker Kevin McCarthy told ABC News

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/live-updates/House-speaker-vote-live-updates/?id=104039543

Comedy. Couldn't happen to a nicer bag of shit. 

I do have multiple vision problems, but this occasion, when reading a story in The Hill on Cohen's testimony, I'm not so sure. When I read "Michael Cohen’s long-awaited testimony in the New York attorney general’s sprawling civil fraud case against former President Trump began Tuesday afternoon, when he described ballooning Trump’s assets at the request of his former employer," my eyes saw "his former master"!

It isn't difficult to see his minions as in a slave-master relationship, as scared of him as so many seem to be.  And that he and his minions relentlessly threaten violence unto death on those who don't fall in line.

Yikes!  It has entered my mind, that if the fascists can't even select a Speaker, They are going to eventually force Biden into using the Emergency Powers Act, that thing the turd desperately wanted for himself.

:bang: :o 

JFC, they won't ever stop, will they? And if rumours that Lachlan is worse than his daddy uncle Satan, as Kara Swisher calls him...

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/cbp-memo-sounds-alarm-hamas-hezbollah-fighters-potentially-using-southern-border-enter-us

15 minutes ago, Ormond said:

ABC News is reporting that Mark Meadows has been granted immunity by the Special Counsel, though so far this has not been confirmed by any other source:

https://abcnews.go.com/US/chief-staff-mark-meadows-granted-immunity-tells-special/story?id=104231281

I just saw the last two posts in the last thread also reported this. But, this is the new thread!

I see that "rumors of reporter Stephen Neukam confirmed that a "joint" speakership between Kevin McCarthy and Jim Jordan is currently being floated."   :lmao:   Gym should just wrestle Kevin for it.  What a fuckin' side show.  

4 minutes ago, LongRider said:

I see that "rumors of reporter Stephen Neukam confirmed that a "joint" speakership between Kevin McCarthy and Jim Jordan is currently being floated."   :lmao:   Gym should just wrestle Kevin for it.  What a fuckin' side show.  

How would that actually work? One of my areas of emphasis was the legislative process, but it was almost all on the Senate side. Can they actually do this? To the Googles! 

Though it still looks like the only way Trump loses the Republican primary is if one of these prosecutions renders him legally ineligible to run. And the fact that simple head to head polls puts him neck and neck with Biden (with a bunch of undecideds) either says a lot for how badly Biden's performance is seen or how completely nuts half of all US voters are.

So unless Trump is legally blocked from running, there is a way higher chance than there should be of Trump getting his second term.

12 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Though it still looks like the only way Trump loses the Republican primary is if one of these prosecutions renders him legally ineligible to run. And the fact that simple head to head polls puts him neck and neck with Biden (with a bunch of undecideds) either says a lot for how badly Biden's performance is seen or how completely nuts half of all US voters are.

Or it says that polls this early are essentially worthless. Which is the truth. 

17 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

How would that actually work?

It wouldn't.  I did find a small press report though, careful, don't slip on the flop sweat.  

"Amid the impasse, McCarthy is floating a plan that would reinstall him as speaker and make Jordan, a conservative Trump ally, the assistant speaker, according to three sources familiar with McCarthy’s pitch.

Asked why the idea — which lacks key details, like how it would be enacted and whether it could even gain enough traction to happen — was being floated now, a GOP lawmaker replied: “We’re desperate.”

Tom Emmer withdraws from House speaker race hours after GOP nomination: Live updates (nbcnews.com)

24 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

So unless Trump is legally blocked from running, there is a way higher chance than there should be of Trump getting his second term.

This far out the polls are pretty much worthless. And the polling predictions the last couple of elections  were not that great.

Trump tweeted he was not in support of Emmer (who voted to certify the 2020 election, and urged his colleagues to mostly disavow Trump on the campaign trail), which I imagine played a fairly large role in sinking his bid. 26 members said they would vote against him in a floor vote, making Trump (again) the biggest gift to Democrats in non-Presidential election years.

37 minutes ago, fionwe1987 said:

Or it says that polls this early are essentially worthless. Which is the truth. 

36 minutes ago, LongRider said:

Plus, Trump always exaggerates poll numbers to be in his favor. 

It's the actual poll tracking saying Trump has a massive lead in the primaries and neck and neck with Biden. Nothing to do with what Trump is claimimg.

27 minutes ago, ThinkerX said:

This far out the polls are pretty much worthless. And the polling predictions the last couple of elections  were not that great.

POTUS polls this far out are pretty worthless, but it is still surprising that right now more than half of the general electorate is still well disposed enough towards Trump to say they would vote for him or are not yet sure how they would vote in Trump v Biden. In 2016 people predicted there were quiet Trumpists unwilling to say they are going to vote for him. They don';t seem to be quiet any more. They've also run this exact race for reals already so both candidates are known quantities. In a sane world at this exact moment in the electoral cycle and with the crime and fraud swirling around Trump his numbers should be in the single digits, they are not anywhere close to that and I say dismiss them at your peril.

Since there have already been 2 debates where Trump was a no-show and none of the primary contenders have moved the needle on the primary poll tracker that's not a good sign that anyone who has declared for the primary race has a shot.