US Politics: Shutdown Showdown

Mr. Chatywin et al.

In my not so humble opinion, no judge actually starts with a set of principles (the way a scientist might) and then through a series of rigorous logical steps arrives at a conclusion. Nearly all of them begin with a conclusion and then use whatever post-hoc reasoning they can to justify what they had already decided in their heads. 

4 hours ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

In my not so humble opinion, no judge actually starts with a set of principles (the way a scientist might) and then through a series of rigorous logical steps arrives at a conclusion. Nearly all of them begin with a conclusion and then use whatever post-hoc reasoning they can to justify what they had already decided in their heads. 

I think that's often the case, and I wish we could all just acknowledge that, so often, these decisions are just a way of getting Mr. Mxyzptlk to say his name backwards. They don't make much sense except in the most hyper-technical way, and produce strange real-world results. I mean, does anyone really think the guys who wrote the Fourteenth were like, "Sure, we'd be totally okay with Jefferson Davis becoming president"?

I think it's time we recognized that, as our politics are currently configured, one part of the Fourteenth Amendment is now a historical artifact with no practical legal meaning. 

Edited by TrackerNeil

18 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Duh. The legal field is mostly knowing where you start and where you want to finish. What separates the cream from the crop is the ability to fill in the middle well enough to justify your ends convincingly.

13 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

George Santos will never get close enough to real power to do any damage.

Dems and Libs continually make this sort of error.

And so many others.  Hillary still hasn't understood why she lost Michigan in That Election; in that swing state which is a bastion of Arab Americans, they didn't come out to vote because they wouldn't vote for her, just as Haitian Americans wouldn't vote for her either, and also stayed home.

Once again the times are changin' and once again the old guard has been blind to the changes going on. Just like here in our state the national Dem party whose 'leadership' locally throughout the state have been living such comfy lives, keeping their smugness over how they were the change back in ye olden days of their yoot, they never have looked around.  It's disheartening how so many of them are still, post 2016, still not doing that and figuring out what was then is not now and is not working.

23 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Look, it's easy to forget these things when we're talking about the man who first stepped foot on Mars. 

No your confusing fact and fiction.

He just played a man on Mars in a movie, and earnt an academy nomination in 2016. He won the award for his role as Hugh Glass in the Revenant.

It was a good year for him, two Academy Award nomination for th eleading role in arguably the two biggest pictures of that year.

20 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

No your confusing fact and fiction.

He just played a man on Mars in a movie, and earnt an academy nomination in 2016. He won the award for his role as Hugh Glass in the Revenant.

It was a good year for him, two Academy Award nomination for th eleading role in arguably the two biggest pictures of that year.

Hmm, I thought 2016 was the year he won his Tony and joined the rare EGOT club. Could have sworn he won The Masters and Wimbledon that year as well while earning his PhD in business ethics in between. It's all really hard to keep track of.

Wasn't that also the year he knocked up Jennifer Lawrence and had a brief affair with Chris Hemsworth? Or was that with Chris Pine? Either way, nice. 

I myself don't think it's necessarily a good idea to bar Trump from the ballot before he is officially convicted of insurrectionist activity in a court of law. If he gets barred just on the basis that "everyone knows he did it", his minions will immediately file suit in every state to have Biden excluded from the ballot as an insurrectionist, and find some convoluted stupid reasoning to do so.  And that will just reinforce the "all politicians are the same and equally bad" notions in the minds of the general public who pay little attention to the news, and perhaps even play into Trump's hands as a campaign tool. 

5 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Thought it was Chris Evans? No? On of the many Chrisses in the movies these days.

No, but he did help launch his career after writing and directing Not Another Teen Movie. 

2001 was a big year for him. He helped the Diamondbacks beat the Yankees in the World Series and tried to notify Dubya about the likely attacks on 9/11. Who could have guessed that just one year later he'd win Man of the Match for Brazil in the World Cup final. Rumor has it he saved Pele from a gang of knife wielding thugs after the match. 

I see it's being reported that former First Lady Rosalyn Carter died this Sunday at the age of 96.  She died at home in Plains, Georgia.  I expect former Pres. Jimmy Carter won't be long for this world without his long-term partner, as they were married for 77 years.(!)  Rest in Peace Miss Rosalyn, Rest in Peace.   

Pfft lololol'z..... I was reading the thread posts and pages backwards trying to discover the mysterious reason why "George Soros will NEVER get close enough to real power to make a difference."

Nevermind ......

I'll just show my self out.:rofl:

Edited by DireWolfSpirit

1 hour ago, LongRider said:

I see it's being reported that former First Lady Rosalyn Carter died this Sunday at the age of 96.  She died at home in Plains, Georgia.  I expect former Pres. Jimmy Carter won't be long for this world without his long-term partner, as they were married for 77 years.(!)  Rest in Peace Miss Rosalyn, Rest in Peace.   

She died while he was holding her hand.  This is how the wife of  Our Beloved Friend passed three weeks ago -- he was holding her hand.  So, of course, again, I cried.

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

She died while he was holding her hand.  This is how the wife of  Our Beloved Friend passed three weeks ago -- he was holding her hand.  So, of course, again, I cried.

Lovely to hear that, comforting the dying is so important.  :grouphug:

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Do these douchecanoes really think they are going to successfully tap into Geek culture?

No. I think the clip just highlights how distorted their world views are. Shocking coming the party of Christ that also hates the teachings of Jesus. Unlike Rosalyn Carter who'd be welcomed with open arms into heaven if you believe in that. 

2 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Do these douchecanoes really think they are going to successfully tap into Geek culture?

Where have you been? They already have, a long time ago.  They were always IN geek culture.  Have you also not noticed the extremist prime minister of Italy and Tolkien?  They didn't just get into it yesterday.  They GREW UP with it like everybody else did.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Preparation for secession ... a new report warns that DeSantis’ private army is a potential hotbed of extremism

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2023/11/20/2206552/-A-new-report-warns-that-DeSantis-private-army-is-a-potential-hotbed-of-extremism?

.... DeSantis now has a small private army that's not answerable to National Guard or military leaders if wrongdoing occurs, one that seems intentionally crafted in premise and training to mirror anti-government militia groups throughout the country. The SPLC is right to be worried; there is nothing in DeSantis' past that suggests he would be able to resist using his barely trained new security force for political posturing, in Florida or outside of it. And his targets are likely to be the same groups of Americans he and the SPLC's extensive list of far-right hate groups have already declared to be enemies.

2 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I really read Greek culture and was wondering how could I get a snide remark about Mike Pence in. I failed to come up with something good, and thankfully I no longer have to.