Israel - Hamas War IX

kissdbyfire

9 hours ago, Fez said:

What's the point of posting anything? Just fodder for thought/discussion.

Weird logic. I'd rather discuss things that are rooted in reality instead of random conspiracy theory xyz, especially when it applies to the deeply sensitive topic being discussed. 

By the way, did you know that some people claim humanity has never left Earths gravity well, and that all of space exploration is fiction? Isn't that interesting? 

Reportedly 80k Gazans self-evacuated from North Gaza today per reporting of Israel COGAT source. Not sure on the veracity but it is being reported by CNN. In addition, 125 trucks of aid went through today, with the aim (per Biden) of going to 150. 

Death toll is close to 11,000 though. 

The UN Secretary General said something was wrong with the number of civilian casualties in the military operation (too high).

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/reuters-next-un-chief-says-gaza-deaths-show-something-wrong-with-israel-2023-11-08/

In a similar manner, I think something is wrong with the number of journalists dead. I do not think this can just be explained by the population density in Gaza or whatever. Especially with reports of journalists seemingly being targeted. RSF says ten journalists were killed while 'clearly covering the news'.

https://rsf.org/en/israelpalestine-war-41-journalists-more-one-day-killed-first-month-israel-palestine-war

Saīd al-Tawil, the editor of local media outlet al-Khamisa, one of its reporters, Hisham al-Nawajha, and Khabar photojournalist Mohammad Sobboh were killed by a strike while covering the war three days later, on 10 October. That same evening, four other journalists were killed by strikes in their homes, along with members of their families

7 journalists or associates killed by strikes in the same day?

Edited by Craving Peaches

4 hours ago, TrueMetis said:

Half of all journalists reporting from Gaza dead. *Half*.

I’ve searched today’s, Friday Nov. 10 NYT, and there is no mention of this special issue on the front page. Nor in the very long list of articles they list. I’ve googled various versions of “NYT says it has blood on it’s hands” and nothing comes up. I’ve Googled “NYT Nov. 11 2023 special edition” and nothing comes up. Do you have a better link than this guy? Is this for real? 

If the NYT has announced it had “blood on its hands”, and this guy has an advanced copy of the front page, why doesn’t every newspaper in the US and Canada have a front page story about it? 

In that list of journalists, why aren’t the papers or news organizations or broadcast networks they are affiliated with listed beside their names?

Don't you think if the NYT announced it was responsible for their deaths they just opened themselves up to hundred million dollar lawsuits from the families?

8 hours ago, Kalbear said:

Reportedly 80k Gazans self-evacuated from North Gaza today per reporting of Israel COGAT source.

That makes ~150k evacuated since they started this process. That's like half of the total people said to be in northern Gaza prior to that, if I remember right.

It will no doubt start tapering off, but it feels like it'll be less than a week before the only people left are Hamas militants and the few who really can't move, or are forced to stay put by Hamas.

The end of Gaza's most beautiful neighbourhood (bbc.co.uk)

But overnight, Israeli bombs had flattened 25 apartment blocks, home to many hundreds of people.

See, this confuses me. Why did 25 apartment blocks (in this instance) need to be levelled (supposedly half of all homes in the strip have been damaged)? I find it hard to believe that Hamas is using them all to store weapons, they cannot all be obscuring tunnel entrances. Do they count as 'Hamas infrastructure' just because Hamas might be able to use them, even if they aren't currently using them? If so, every building in the strip could be a target.

The Israel Defense Forces (IDF) told us it was “unable to answer specific operative questions” when asked about its decision to strike al-Zahra’s residential blocks. Hamas was attacking Israel from across the Gaza Strip and had “embedded itself in civilian infrastructure”, it added. It has not named any Hamas operative killed in the strikes on al-Zahra, and it is believed that nobody died. 

12 hours ago, Relic said:

Weird logic. I'd rather discuss things that are rooted in reality instead of random conspiracy theory xyz, especially when it applies to the deeply sensitive topic being discussed. 

By the way, did you know that some people claim humanity has never left Earths gravity well, and that all of space exploration is fiction? Isn't that interesting? 

If it's false, it's noteworthy that the group felt the need to make the accusation. Just like liberals share the weird, false accusations that Trump, MTG, Boebert, et al make all the time.

And if it's true, it's obviously a big deal in it's own right.

Either way, it garnered enough attention that the media orgs felt the need that they had to respond. https://www.washingtonpost.com/style/media/2023/11/09/cnn-ap-photographer-hamas/

CNN, the Associated Press, Reuters and the New York Times, which all published photographs by the freelancers, denied any advance warning of the attack.

But CNN and the AP chose to cut ties with Hassan Eslaiah, one of the freelancers, though they did not specify why. Eslaiah got extra emphasis in the HonestReporting story, which resurfaced a several-years-old photo of him posing with Hamas leader Yahya Sinwar.

55 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

Al-Shifa hospital has reportedly been struck. There are some graphic images.

If that's the one with the poor guy losing a leg, it was terrible luck -- footage from a second phone showing someone being removed from a car also shows it was an empty 155mm illumination round casing. 

Unfortunately, what goes up must come down, and now that they're operating closer to the hospital it's likelier that unintended casings from illumination rounds are going to fall in the area.