Upcoming TV shows/Movies: A Post-Strike World

Corvinus85

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/2023/wolf-hall-further-casting-the-mirror-and-the-light

BBC announces stellar cast for the return of Wolf Hall

Mark Gatiss’ adaptation of the Arthur Conan Doyle short story comes to BBC Two this Christmas, starring Kit Harington and Freddie Fox.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/mediapacks/a-ghost-story-for-christmas-lot-no-249

Edited by AncalagonTheBlack

On 12/7/2023 at 6:31 PM, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

The article says it’s “live action”. 

That's weird.

I assume it's going to be black-and-white? It has to be, surely. Sounds like a recipe for a limited series to me...

6 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

I haven't read the latest entry in the series because I decided to start a re-read. Currently on the 4th one. I've been thinking this could make a good TV series, though the inner monologue will be challenging. Can't say I imagined Alexander Skarsgård, but a tall actor would be required just because SecUnits are described as being bigger than average humans. AppleTV has been making some strong SF shows, so I'm cautiously optimistic about this one.

On 12/14/2023 at 9:03 PM, SpaceChampion said:

If wonder if we're going to get to see a Sanctuary Moon show-with-the-show?

On 12/15/2023 at 3:31 AM, Corvinus85 said:

I haven't read the latest entry in the series because I decided to start a re-read. Currently on the 4th one. I've been thinking this could make a good TV series, though the inner monologue will be challenging.

I guess we'll be getting a lot of narration to give us Murderbot's monologue.

A24 Is Bringing Death Stranding to the Big Screen

A24—known for clever and arty fare—recently announced that it plans to expand into more commercial and action films, and now they’re taking the next step in that direction. With Kojima Productions, A24 is developing a feature film adaptation of the popular video game Death Stranding.

In a statement, game creator Hideo Kojima said, “There are a lot of ‘game adaptation films’ out there but what we are creating is not just a direct translation of the game. The intention is that our audience will not only be fans of the games, but our film will be for anyone who loves cinema. We are creating a Death Stranding universe that has never been seen before, achievable only through the medium of film, it will be born.”

Disney+ Sets Series Adaptation of C.J. Sansom’s ‘Shardlake’ Murder Mystery Novels

https://variety.com/2023/global/news/cj-sansom-shardlake-disney-1235570006/

Cast

Disney+ is set to take viewers on a journey through Tudor England with its latest series, “Shardlake.”

Based on the internationally acclaimed Tudor murder mystery novels by C.J. Sansom, the four-part drama is set in 16th century England during the dissolution of the monasteries.

The series will follow the story of Matthew Shardlake, played by Arthur Hughes (“The Innocents,” “Then Barbara Met Alan”), a lawyer with an acute sense of justice and one of the few honest men in a world beset with scheming and plots. Shardlake works for Thomas Cromwell, played by Sean Bean (“Time,” “Game of Thrones”), the dangerous and all-powerful right-hand man to Henry VIII.

Edited by AncalagonTheBlack

On 12/17/2023 at 9:07 AM, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Disney+ is set to take viewers on a journey through Tudor England with its latest series, “Shardlake.”

OMFG! I had no idea! I'm now super excited and anxious b/c sometimes the book to screen doesn't quite work... but love the cast and am hopeful. I loved the books! Yay yay yay! :D

ETA: for now it's just the first book, right? it has to be a huge hit so they do the others too.

Edited by kissdbyfire

On 12/17/2023 at 7:07 AM, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Tudor murder mystery novels by C.J. Sansom

Some of my favorite period mysteries, most certainly.  Shardlake is a wonderfully imagined, plausible, believable -- and likeable! -- character, one that could emerge truly out of the period in which he is located, not a paint by numbers Tudor guy.

6 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Some of my favorite period mysteries, most certainly.  Shardlake is a wonderfully imagined, plausible, believable -- and likeable! -- character, one that could emerge truly out of the period in which he is located, not a paint by numbers Tudor guy.

Shardlake really is a wonderful character, fully fleshed and, as you said, believable and likeable! I can't comment on the books historical accuracy, but it feels very believable to me. The secondary characters are great, too, as are the mysteries. I might reread the books in preparation for the tv show! 

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Nictarion said:

I’m cautiously optimistic. 

Have you seen any early reviews of Monsieur Spade or Alexander the Great / Alexander: The Making of a God (Season 1) Netflix?

Was looking up Wong Kar Wai and it turns out his new show Blossoms Shanghai just premiered a week or so ago, 30 episodes of 50 mins each tying into his universe films. The trailer was gorgeous but no distribution outside domestic sadly. Yet. Fingers crossed. 

Clive Owen Is Ready to Take on His Enemies in 'Monsieur Spade' Sneak Peek [Exclusive]
The series also stars Alfre Woodard, Rebecca Root, and Cara Bossom.

https://collider.com/monsieur-spade-episode-1-sneak-peek/

If there’s one word of advice we’re begging you to take from our exclusive clip of Monsieur Spade, it’s to stay off of Clive Owen’s property! From what we can gather, his character, the detective Sam Spade, runs a tight ship and notices anyone lurking on his long, dirt driveway in the French countryside. The clip reveals a volatile relationship between Owen’s titular protagonist and Stanley Weber’s (Drops of God) Jean-Pierre Devereaux, as Jean-Pierre has been posted up on his motorcycle waiting to run into Sam. Equipped with a message from his friend Philippe (Jonathan Zaccaï), Jean-Pierre seems to want nothing more than to stir the pot. But, to be fair, the clip also reveals that the dashing Monsieur Spade may be trying to seduce Jean-Pierre’s wife, so it’s a little tough to distinguish who the real bad guy is here.

Danny Boyle and Alex Garland Hope to Launch a New Trilogy with 28 Years Later

Very little is known about this potential film or trilogy, though The Hollywood Reporter notes that the creators are “expected to hit studios, streamers and other potential buyers later this week.” Boyle (Trainspotting) will direct at least the first film, and Garland—now also a well-regarded director (Annihilation)—is set to write all three films.

Murphy is not officially part of the new project, at least not yet, though he has spoken about the possibility of reteaming with Boyle and Garland. When NME asked in 2022 if the gang might get back together, Murphy said, “[E]very time I do bump into Danny or Alex I always mention it. Because I showed it to my kids recently, some Halloween about four or five years ago, and they loved it. It really stands up, which is amazing for a film that’s 20 years old. So yeah, I love the idea and it’s very appealing to me.”

The Hollywood Reporter writes of this new trilogy, “The precedent and touchstone execs are hoping for is 2015’s Fury Road, which served as George Miller’s return to the violent and action-packed world of Mad Max after a two decade absence.”

Skydance Picks Up John Flanagan’s Ranger’s Apprentice Series for Film Adaptation

Skydance is moving fast and has big plans for adapting John Flanagan’s Ranger’s Apprentice books, a popular young adult fantasy series. Not only does the studio hope the initial live-action film will be the first of a franchise, but they’ve also got Ted Melfi on board to adapt, direct, and produce the movie.

According to Deadline, Melfi—whose deal with the studio is in the “high seven-figures” if the movie makes it to the big screen—will take on the first two novels in the nineteen-book series, The Ruins of Gorlan and The Burning Bridge. Skydance has big hopes the franchise will take off from there and become akin to other successful series that feature a boy finding his own in a world where he must grapple with learning how to wield magic.

2024 Premiere Dates For New & Returning Series On Broadcast, Cable & Streaming
https://deadline.com/feature/2024-tv-premiere-dates-1235365501/