International events

3CityApache

They probably target what they suspect are Israeli owned ships. Though that might encompass ships from most Western countries and more besides. If I recall correctly the Houthis used "death to Israel" as a warcry when facing Saudi Arabian troops a few years back. Because they believe the Saudi royal family is secretly Jewish.

Edited by Hmmm

7 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

So what you're saying is that you're saying there's a conspiracy afoot? :o

The US has engaged and fought for “freedom of the seas” since its founding.  The War against the Barbary Pirates was about “freedom of Navigation”.  So is the attack on the Houthis who… by attacking merchant ships in the Red Sea show themselves to be… pirates.

20 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

So what you're saying is that you're saying there's a conspiracy afoot? :o

Baaaaah! You got me! 

Although mine is really just technical in nature. Unless you're saying that there's something... special... and conspiratorial about the U.S.'s actions?

Some... factor... that wasn't at play with the Somali pirates?? :leer: 

U.S. Strikes On Yemen Draw Bipartisan Pushback In Congress
“The Constitution requires that if there is not an imminent threat of self-defense, that he has to come to Congress,” Rep. Ro Khanna (D-Calif.) said.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/yemen-strikes-joe-biden_n_65a14d87e4b06444b2229a0a

President Joe Biden’s decision to launch airstrikes against Iran-backed Houthi militias in Yemen in response to their attacks on international shipping drew bipartisan pushback in Congress, with lawmakers on both sides of the aisle demanding he first seek approval amid fears of a broader war escalating in the Middle East.

“This has been going on since December. He has assembled an entire international coalition. He certainly should have come to Congress so we can discuss whether this could put American troops at risk,” he added. ....

59 minutes ago, Zorral said:

The Constitution requires that if there is not an imminent threat of self-defense, that he has to come to Congress,”

The War Powers Resolution gives 60 (or even 90) days where the President doesn't have to "come to Congress" for anything in regards to hostilities.

The Resolution was passed by Congress and the Senate in 1973. If they don't like it, they should amend or repeal it.

It has been dramatically shown how vague and imprecise are the definitions of what are or are not the boundaries to the powers and capacities of a sitting POTUS.  Somehow, nobody noticed this in these long decades of the federal government being governed by 'norms.'  Now that all the norms have been progressively kicked to the curb since the tea party and Gingrich, well, here we are.

14 minutes ago, Ran said:

The War Powers Resolution gives 60 (or even 90) days where the President doesn't have to "come to Congress" for anything in regards to hostilities.

The Resolution was passed by Congress and the Senate in 1973. If they don't like it, they should amend or repeal it.

They should, but they never will. 

2 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

The US has engaged and fought for “freedom of the seas” since its founding.  The War against the Barbary Pirates was about “freedom of Navigation”.  So is the attack on the Houthis who… by attacking merchant ships in the Red Sea show themselves to be… pirates.

The Houthis have effectively legalised slavery in the areas they control, so they get to tick both the "slave owners" and "pirates" boxes.

That said, I'm not sure what firing off a few missiles is going to accomplish ("Tell us about it" - the Saudis), unless it was calculated as a symbolic act. A few shots are fired, the Houthis stop attacking shipping, and that simmers down. I calculate the chances of this happening at "not bloody likely."

19 minutes ago, Werthead said:

The Houthis have effectively legalised slavery in the areas they control, so they get to tick both the "slave owners" and "pirates" boxes.

That said, I'm not sure what firing off a few missiles is going to accomplish ("Tell us about it" - the Saudis), unless it was calculated as a symbolic act. A few shots are fired, the Houthis stop attacking shipping, and that simmers down. I calculate the chances of this happening at "not bloody likely."

People are offering apologia for a group that has legalized… slavery… in territory it controls???

Really?

:shocked:

8 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

People are offering apologia for a group that has legalized… slavery… in territory it controls???

Really?

:shocked:

Yeah, really problematic, to say the very least. And they're quite brutal and also want to expand the practice. :ack:

https://english.aawsat.com/home/article/1810456/exclusive-houthis-restore-slavery-yemen

3 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Slavery.  Not okay.

I agree, and therefore offering apologia for the United States who at the time of the Barbary Wars were engaged in one of the most horrendous slavery regimes in human history is bad and you shouldn't have done it.

Or maybe pointing out or arguing one thing about a group or faction and their aims isn't the same as offering apologia for everything they do, and implying that it is is a bad faith argument?

Just now, polishgenius said:

I agree, and therefore offering apologia for the United States who at the time of the Barbary Wars were engaged in one of the most horrendous slavery regimes in human history is bad and you shouldn't have done it.

Or maybe pointing out or arguing one thing about a group or faction and their aims isn't the same as offering apologia for everything they do, and implying that it is is a bad faith argument?

People who have legalized slavery lobbing missiles at merchant ships is also rather beyond the pale in my earnest opinion.

But I’m just an ignorant American.

2 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

People who have legalized slavery lobbing missiles at merchant ships is also rather beyond the pale in my earnest opinion.

4 hours ago, polishgenius said:

*I know, all of their targets are wrong, since none of them sailed under Israeli colours anyway and all of them were civilian. But in this sense I mean 'not connected to their stated aim in any way'. 

Weird, it seems like I agree with you. 

11 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Weird, it seems like I agree with you. 

So… stopping them from lobbing said missiles seems like a good idea… yes?

(I’m in a really foul mood… sorry I’m snappy).

Edited by Ser Scot A Ellison

7 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I'm not against stopping them throwing missiles around, I just don't think pretending like the situation here has nothing to do with the situation over the canal in Israel and Gaza is helpful. 

8 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

:cheers: to being snappy coz so was I 

28 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

oh does it feels good?the world police are here! i bet missile attacks will have a huge impact on the slave trade in yemen. mean while you conduct relations with saudi arabia like the good ol pals you guys are.

the usa has a responsability in yemens conditions right now, havent you proxy bombed them into one of the worst famines of modern times?

get the fuck out of here with your good intentions, i at least, dont belive them

1 hour ago, Conflicting Thought said:

oh does it feels good?the world police are here! i bet missile attacks will have a huge impact on the slave trade in yemen. mean while you conduct relations with saudi arabia like the good ol pals you guys are.

the usa has a responsability in yemens conditions right now, havent you proxy bombed them into one of the worst famines of modern times?

get the fuck out of here with your good intentions, i at least, dont belive them

Stopping slavers who are firing missiles at merchant shipping feels pretty damn good.

Edited by Ser Scot A Ellison