International events

3CityApache

11 hours ago, Conflicting Thought said:

get the fuck out of here with your good intentions, i at least, dont belive them

The US's intentions are rarely surprising.  I doubt you were seriously surprised when they responded to ships being targeted.  Or their support of Israel.

Some decisions are simply better than others.

If they stop ships being targeted, that will be a success.  But, it is rather unclear if stopping such attacks is possible.  Especially since responding to terrorism is generally a very difficult proposition.  We can see countless examples of that (including right now).  Everyone agrees that terrorism is bad but how do you stop it?  But ignoring it doesn't make it go away either.

5 hours ago, Ran said:

Sounds like you actually want the "world police" to do more, not less.

One issue is that if the US isn’t the world police then who is? China? This trade route affects them pretty heavily, yet not much from them. On the other hand it might not be a good idea to allow China to start being viewed as a regional police force.

9 hours ago, Conflicting Thought said:

they are not stoping slavers, they dont care about that. but dont let me stop you from feeling yourself

Look if you have sympath for a group that is reinstating slavery in territory that they control while they are also lobbing missiles at merchant ships in the Red Sea… that’s your business.  I, for one, do not.

I hadn’t forgotten you but I had forgotten your handle.  Still a big fan of the Russian dictator and the Russian neo-imperial invasion of Ukraine?

Edited by Ser Scot A Ellison

12 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

What does that mean… “autonomy” as opposed to “independence”?

Essentially it means that the current vice-president won the election to be the new president so they'll continue with the current policy rather than the friendlier-to-China stance of the opposition.

14 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

What does that mean… “autonomy” as opposed to “independence”?

It means they can’t officially declare independence because that will cause China to invade 

2 hours ago, Maltaran said:

It means they can’t officially declare independence because that will cause China to invade 

And because of what's going on in Ukraine and Gaza they'll have even less support from the West. 

On 1/12/2024 at 9:31 PM, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

The US has engaged and fought for “freedom of the seas” since its founding.  The War against the Barbary Pirates was about “freedom of Navigation”.  So is the attack on the Houthis who… by attacking merchant ships in the Red Sea show themselves to be… pirates.

Sure.  If they wish to blockade Israel by sea, then they must comply with the laws that relate to blockades (stopping and inspecting ships for contraband).  Lobbing missiles at passing ships makes them, as you say, pirates.

We've been relentlessly bombing Yemen for over a decade. Long before October 7th 2023.

Entire, multi-generation families have been obliterated by British and American bombs. Suffering on a scale just as harrowing as what we are witnessing in Gaza. Where has your hand wringing and condemnation been on behalf of the Yemeni population before today?

And now all of a sudden, we have dozens of experts on Yemen (whose mouths, up until now, have been firmly zipped on all matters Yemen), telling us all about Yemen, and their nasty, Yemeni, anti-Western values. Some even made crap jokes about Friends. Curiously, these people all seem willing to omit the horrors that we, The West, have been inflicting on the Yemeni people for years. 

Perhaps cunts like Zac Goldsmith should think about that for a moment.

Edited by Spockydog

1 minute ago, Spockydog said:

We've been relentlessly bombing Yemen for over a decade. Long before October 7th 2023.

Entire, multi-generation families have been obliterated by British and American bombs. Suffering on a scale just as harrowing as what we are witnessing in Gaza. Where has your hand wringing and condemnation been on behalf of the Yemeni population before today? 

Perhaps think about that for a moment.

:ack:

Heard on a pod today that the last american administration not to bomb the fuck out of yemen was Clinton's, and the uk is probably worse. 

31 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

And now all of a sudden, we have dozens of experts on Yemen (whose mouths, up until now, have been firmly zipped on all matters Yemen), telling us all about Yemen, and their nasty, Yemeni, anti-Western values. Some even made crap jokes about Friends. Curiously, these people all seem willing to omit the horrors that we, The West, have been inflicting on the Yemeni people for years. 

Perhaps cunts like Zac Goldsmith should think about that for a moment.

The Houthi elite owning and trading slaves is fine, because Yemen is poor and actually the USA and the UK supported the Republic of Yemen during the civil war with drone strikes. Does that make sense to you when you say it?

3 minutes ago, Hmmm said:

The Houthi elite owning and trading slaves is fine, because Yemen is poor and actually the USA and the UK supported the Republic of Yemen during the civil war with drone strikes. Does that make sense to you when you say it?

That's not what @Spockydog said though, is it?

1 hour ago, Hmmm said:

I wouldn’t know, because that's not what I said.

BTW - Has anyone got anything to say about the estimated 400,000+ human beings currently enslaved in the good ole US of A, presumably owned by all a whole bunch of upstanding American elites.

Edited by Spockydog

I get why everyone is upset with the slave situation in Yemen. To most decent people, slavery is a no no. 

But maybe look up an article or two on Modern Slavery, to see where it is most prevalent in 2023.

While you're at it, you can turn reading the list of worst offenders into a "Spot the British or American ally" drinking game. 

You are guaranteed to get pissed. 

Edited by Spockydog