US Politics: Happy Anniversary.

6 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

But he wasn't convicted for insurrection (he isn't even charged with that count, because Smith has built his trial for speed, and the insurrection count wouldn't have added that much on top of the disruption of an official proceeding charge).

I think that's what they will argue in some shape or form. Not a lawyer, so I might be wrong.

There was a bench trial in the Colorado case that looked at his actions, and the determination was made they amounted to insurrection. He was allowed his defense there. None of the 3 judges who dissented with the ruling had anything to say against the determination that he was an insurrectionist. 

If the Supreme Court wants to challenge that, they'll have to do so on the facts, and I don't think they'll want to go there. 

ETA: I have no fucking idea how this reply got here. Gonna leave it as is since folks replied anyway. 

Edited by fionwe1987

Posted (edited)

The due process argument, was the thing the dissents in Colorado were mostly about.

Question (at least as far as I can tell) was is a civil finding by a court sufficient for that, or does it fake an actual criminal conviction.

Once again, not a lwayer. But that'd be my guess how they try to spin it.

Edited by A Horse Named Stranger
some mod decided to move the post to the adequate thread, thus my objection about the wrong thread were no longer valid.

7 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

The due process argument, was the thing the dissents in Colorado were mostly about.

You're right. I read an article which implied otherwise, and based my statement on that. 

7 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Question (at least as far as I can tell) was is a civil finding by a court sufficient for that, or does it fake an actual criminal conviction.

Once again, not a lwayer. But that'd be my guess how they try to spin it.

Yeah that can work, though as noted, the amendment doesn't specify.

Yeah, but there's really just two bullets in the SCOTUS gun.

One is the due process argument. (which I already said was weak). The other is this bizarro world the holder of the office of the Presidency of the US not being an officer under this statute. Personally, if I were right wing activist judge on the SCOTUS, I'd rather run with the former.

I know I'm not American but I'm still worried about how badly Biden is doing in polls vs Trump. Is there any chance of Democrats fielding an alternative candidate?

Just now, Darryk said:

I know I'm not American but I'm still worried about how badly Biden is doing in polls vs Trump. Is there any chance of Democrats fielding an alternative candidate?

No. Not unless President Biden dies before the election. 

Since the forces of evil can’t employ the ‘red’ ‘commie’ McCarthy era scares any longer – after all Putin says he’s not a communist and the rumpistas are all up with Russia, including getting paid by Russia – they are not using ‘antisemitism’ to go after Their ‘enemies’ of the state.  See what happened with the university presidents, particularly the Black woman of Harvard. This includes calling for accusations against individuals, done anonymously. They’re boasting of it.

House Republicans to Broaden Higher Education Inquiry Beyond Antisemitism
Emboldened by the resignations of two prominent university presidents, House Republicans are planning an aggressive inquiry into academia, long one of their favorite targets of attack.

"Mr. Tillery also noted that Republicans who are positioning themselves as the champions of Jewish students “all serve a master in Donald Trump, who is quoting Hitler in his stump speeches; people see through that.” (Mr. Trump recently said that migrants coming to the United States were “poisoning the blood of our country,” echoing language used by Adolf Hitler.)"

Gift link -- full article available w/o subscription

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/01/05/us/politics/house-republicans-antisemitism-colleges-harvard.html?unlocked_article_code=1.Lk0.NDNB.EjGYCO38lVLB&smid=url-share

.... House Republicans are now embarking on an aggressive and expansive investigation into institutions of higher education in America, targeting the academic elites they have long viewed as avatars of cultural decay — all in the name of combating antisemitism.

The committee, which hired new staff to power the investigation, is now planning to focus on other Ivy League schools, as well as some public universities, as it hauls in more witnesses — using subpoenas if necessary — to testify, according to people familiar with the still-evolving plans who spoke about them on the condition of anonymity. ....

.... “No Jewish students have really been subjected to violence on most of these campuses,” Mr. Tillery said of Ivy League schools, flagging two notable exceptions: the assault of an Israeli student at Columbia University and a bomb threat against a campus Jewish center at Cornell University.

Instead, he said, debate has focused on pro-Palestinian chants and signs at campus protests about ending Israel’s deadly offensive in Gaza. “There’s a huge generational divide on campuses, and young Jews are in the movement to support Gaza,” he said. “It’s really hard to see how this continues to have traction.”

Mr. Tillery also noted that Republicans who are positioning themselves as the champions of Jewish students “all serve a master in Donald Trump, who is quoting Hitler in his stump speeches; people see through that.” (Mr. Trump recently said that migrants coming to the United States were “poisoning the blood of our country,” echoing language used by Adolf Hitler.) ....

14 minutes ago, Darryk said:

You keep asking this.  No, there is not.  Though he has said he's willing to have another Dem run instead, but -- nobody's showed up.  And please, do not again bring up that nut case and corrupt racist grifting other hating criminal, Kennedy. :D

Now, that there isn't someone on the Dem benches to run says a whole lot sad and bad about the Dems.  They have been awful about cultivating younger members and bringing them up.  This is across the board, nationally and locally.  Obama really fell down there, but this has been going on for a long time which is why the legislating class is so geriatric.

7 minutes ago, LongRider said:

That should do it!  I canvassed for Obama in 2012 and look at what happened, he won!

:cheers:

I worked at Obama's main Minneapolis office in 2012 and a lot of the staff were freaking out. I think they called the race in like an hour at the DFL party. Chill. 

Edited by Mr. Chatywin et al.

1 minute ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

I worked at Obama's main Minneapolis office in 2012 and a lot of the staff were freaking out. I think they called the race in like an hour at the DFL party. Chill. 

It took longer for the word to come down in Reno, but when it did, that room went crazy and cheered, danced, cried and kissed each other for about 25 minutes!  I loved it.  I need to call my local Dem party and get involved, although my door knocking days are over.  (health issues)   

@Mr. Chatywin et al.

Lawyers will do what they always do. They know their starting and ending points. The middle is just bullshit. 

Respectfully if the SCOTUS… wants… to protect Trump they’re going to have to do some rhetorical backflips.  It will not surprise me to see such attempted… but… this is a golden opportunity for Republican “traditionalists” to “rid themselves of that troublesome game show host”.

Edited by Ser Scot A Ellison

19 minutes ago, LongRider said:

It took longer for the word to come down in Reno, but when it did, that room went crazy and cheered, danced, cried and kissed each other for about 25 minutes!  I loved it.  I need to call my local Dem party and get involved, although my door knocking days are over.  (health issues)   

Juxtaposed to 2010, where the room was celebrating the state senator I worked for getting reelected in a landslide (so I got my bonus check), but the campaign manager and I kept checking the results statewide and at the federal level and just saying fuck over and over again. Sad drinking night. I didn't even care what I was given when it was last call at the bar. 

27 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

@Mr. Chatywin et al.

Respectfully if the SCOTUS… wants… to protect Trump they’re going to have to do some rhetorical backflips.  It will not surprise me to see such attempted… but… this is a golden opportunity for Republican “traditionalists” to “rid themselves of that troublesome game show host”.

They won't. 

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

We’ll see.

They're too afraid of his acolytes and love the gifting and bribery way too much -- which is going to get a whole lot more investigation if Their Appointer doesn't get the election.