US Politics: Primary Schoolin'

1 hour ago, Kalbear said:

In actual news, Trump just stormed out of his trial after being told by the judge that only opposing counsel will be allowed to speak and that there will be no sotto voce comments, even.

https://mastodon.social/@GottaLaff/111822838537883642

Trump pulled a Trump… shocking.

2 hours ago, Zorral said:

Immigration -- all the reports from the Wall Street Journal, to a variety of state and federal budget and economic agencies, is that immigration 2021-2022-2023 are what has saved the US economy from recession.

But then, all reports going a long way back say that immigration's effect on population is good for economies.

In the meantime, of course, the country was supposedly 'run' by a bunch of drugged out whack jobs.  This was reported yesterday in Rolling Stone, today it's in the WaPo.

Trump’s White House clinic improperly handed out narcotics, report finds

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2024/01/25/trump-white-house-medical-unit-drugs-improper/

But then, none of us here suspected otherwise, did we? :P  Not to mention alcoholics ... see, o, Giuliani, for instance.

Anecdotal evidence here but I have been thinking the same thing since the late 70s when reading Isaac Asimov's autobiography. He mentioned how his parents emigrated from Russia to the US in the early 1900s when the US had an open door immigration policy.Apparently this policy was stopped and the immigration door slammed shut in 1928. And the 1929 saw the start of the Great Depression. Coincidence or not? Asimov did not link the two events but since then I have always wondered and being the person I am, opted since then for much looser immigration laws and borders.

Been thinking about this for a while now. The implications, if right, are insane and maybe frightening.

First, Trump is a racist bigot. No dispute there.

However, there is his latest spate of speeches and announcements that had media commentators and others saying Trump was paraphrasing Hitler.

The problem here isn't so much Trump's message (he is a racist bigot) but the closeness of these speeches and comments to Hitler's. The thing is, Trump is also willfully ignorant and in a steep cognitive decline. To me, that makes it unlikely that Trump came up with this stuff on his own.

Trump does, however, have literal Neo-Nazis on his staff. These people would know all about quoting Hitler.

So... this has me wondering - are the Neo Nazis 'puppettng' Trump? This leads to the disturbing possibility we get stuck with a racist, egotistical, severely mentally impaired POTUS who is puppeted by literal Nazis. 

36 minutes ago, ThinkerX said:

Trump does, however, have literal Neo-Nazis on his staff. These people would know all about quoting Hitler.

That was almost certainly Stephen Miller.

I don't know if I'd say he puppets Trump, but he sure knows how to get on his good side and put ideas into his head.

And yeah, beyond any one personality, the MAGA movement is a fairly well oiled machine now, with detailed plans in place to advance a blatantly fascist agenda.

21 minutes ago, Phylum of Alexandria said:

That was almost certainly Stephen Miller.

Today it’s you reading my mind. I thought of him immediately. 

I don't know if I'd say he puppets Trump, but he sure knows how to get on his good side and put ideas into his head.

I don’t know either but it seems pretty obvious to me (looking from afar, granted) that most of the actual work that happened during his presidency wasn’t anything he was deeply involved with or cared much about. Given what we know of this individual, I don’t think it’s out of the realm of possibility to think that what he cares about is the attention, being “the most powerful man on Earth!”, the ability to enrich himself through shady deals w/ other countries among other shady stuff, like making everyone and their pets to stay at Trump hotels was a biggie iirc, and finally some more attention. He’s also neither stable nor a genius; far from it, he’s really not very intelligent.

All of this to say that yeah, I think it’s very likely that he is a puppet in a way, not of one individual but of a movement or ideology or whatever you want to call it. And that makes the prospect of having this man become president again all the more frightening.

And yeah, beyond any one personality, the MAGA movement is a fairly well oiled machine now, with detailed plans in place to advance a blatantly fascist agenda.

Indeed. Scary af if you ask me.

1 minute ago, Fragile Bird said:

Has a bill been proposed yet regarding the wall to be built at the Canadian border? Or is Canada going to pay for it?

I am curious how that little nub in Lake of the Woods gets built when you have to go into Canada to access it. Or even Point Robert's outside of Vancouver

Appealing immediately the Carrol damages decision because of course they think they will.  However, being a terrible lawyer and the chief rapist not needing to know anything about laws because you know who I am, this may not be a slam dunk.

Posted to:

https://www.lawyersgunsmoneyblog.com/2024/01/trump-ordered-to-pay-83-million-for-lying-about-not-having-raped-e-jean-carroll#comment-6376477631

Trump is now going to be appealing judgments to Carroll, the first $5 million and the second $83.3 million. Throw in assorted costs and it’s around $90 million. Which brings up the issue of Appellate or Supersedeas Bonds. Typically an appellant of a money judgement is required to post a bond for the full amount plus appellate costs in order to get a stay of the judgement pending appeal … and that’s decided by the District Judge. (Rules quoted without indents.)

FRAP 8. Stay or Injunction Pending Appeal
(a) Motion for Stay.
(1) Initial Motion in the District Court.
A party must ordinarily move first in the district court for the following relief:
(A) a stay of the judgment or order of a district court pending appeal;
(B) approval of a bond or other security provided to obtain a stay of judgment; or
(C) an order suspending, modifying, restoring, or granting an injunction while an appeal is pending.
Rule 8007-1
SUPERSEDEAS BOND – Amended December 1, 2017

(a) A supersedeas bond, where the judgment is for a sum of money only, shall be in the amount of the judgment, plus interest at a rate consistent with 28 U.S.C.§ 1961, and $250 to cover costs and such damages for delay as may be awarded. The parties may waive the supersedeas bond by stipulation.

(b) When the stay may be effected as of right solely by the giving of the supersedeas bond, but the judgment or order is not solely for a sum of money, the Court, on notice, shall fix the amount of the bond. In all other cases, the Court may, on notice, grant a stay on such terms as to security and otherwise as it may deem proper.

(c) On approval, a supersedeas bond shall be filed with the Clerk, and a copy thereof, with notice of filing, promptly served on all parties affected thereby. If the appellee raises objections to the form of the bond or to the sufficiency of the surety, the Court shall hold a hearing on notice to all parties.
If a district judge had confidence that a defendant would obey a final order, because, well he’d been compliant… he might reduce the bond, but Trump…

A refusal by the District can be appealed, but it’s not often granted … and the Second Circuit is unlikely to reverse the judge.

In theory Trump doesn’t actually have to post $90 million, he can get a third-party, an 8nsurer o4 bank, or someone who has $90 million in security to post a bond, or he can use an unencumbered asset worth $90 million. However, would you trust Donald Trump‘s sufficiently to put 90 million bucks on the line for him? Does Trump have an unencumbered asset worth $90 million he can pledge. And is he exposed to a $390 million judgement in another case? Or is Donald gonna have to come up with $90 million in hard cash to appeal…
<ahref="https: storage.courtlistener.com="" recap="" gov.uscourts.nysd.590045="" gov.uscourts.nysd.590045.209.0.pdf"=""> he had to post $5.5 million to appeal the first judgement by the way

This is pretty basic procedure, but I suspect it’ll be news to Ms. Habba.

More on paying your lawyers. from the same source:

Steve Bannon stiffing his own lawyers coming back to bite him in ass, now that they want to engage in discovery to collect on their judgment against him. And he's trying to claim 5th Amendment protections from turning it over, meaning those records probably contain evidence of his underlying fraud that they were representing him to begin with on the Build The Wall fraud that Trump pardoned him for.

Rule #1: Don't stiff your lawyer on the fee, unless it's a very small amount they don't feel is worth chasing after.
Rule #2: Stiffing your lawyer on $500K in legal fees is worth chasing after if you're the lawyer.

1 hour ago, ThinkerX said:

are the Neo Nazis 'puppettng' Trump?

No.  He's always quite admired Hitler and in his own way he's studied him.  Remember who is dad was.

10 minutes ago, Zorral said:

No.  He's always quite admired Hitler and in his own way he's studied him.  Remember who is dad was.

The content may come from Trump, but I seriously doubt that a man who cannot form a coherent sentence when using a teleprompter can do so on a cell phone. Someone is doing the big words for him.

2 minutes ago, maarsen said:

The content may come from Trump, but I seriously doubt that a man who cannot form a coherent sentence when using a teleprompter can do so on a cell phone. Someone is doing the big words for him.

Yah, I think it is Bannon and Miller -- and others who have very successfully kept themselves off the radar.  As I've been observing since Reagan, whatever/whoever the charismatic front of the house face's education and intelligence is, the guys who run them are very knowledgeable in our history and politics, and particularly how the successful fascists did it.  And they patience.  And they ever give up.  Look at Abbott performing Lost Cause Redemption right this minute.

31 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Appealing immediately the Carrol damages decision because of course they think they will.  However, being a terrible lawyer and the chief rapist not needing to know anything about laws because you know who I am, this may not be a slam dunk.

Posted to:

https://www.lawyersgunsmoneyblog.com/2024/01/trump-ordered-to-pay-83-million-for-lying-about-not-having-raped-e-jean-carroll#comment-6376477631

More on paying your lawyers. from the same source:

The lawyers on MSNBC don't think he has much of a chance and like your link says, he has to put up most or all of the money in a Bond. And that looming $370M suit is coming up. Idk if they'll get him for all of it, but the two numbers combined would be more than his reported cash on hand. 

15 minutes ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

The lawyers on MSNBC don't think he has much of a chance and like your link says, he has to put up most or all of the money in a Bond. And that looming $370M suit is coming up. Idk if they'll get him for all of it, but the two numbers combined would be more than his reported cash on hand. 

Maybe he can get a loan.  He has a lot of valuable assets, after all, including a penthouse suite that is seventeen acres large and contains an international airport.

Ugh I feel sorry for his supporters who will be receiving 73 emails a day asking for donations “b/c only you can help me fight the deep state yadda yadda”, with the very tiny fine print saying “make this a daily donation” or something.