Star Wars: Far Far Away From What You Want It To Be

SpaceChampion

Well it certainly isn't what I would have liked to have seen in a new Star Wars show, in fact it features almost all the elements I didn't want to see. Starting off with a bunch of Younglings, using CGI backgrounds designed look exactly as bad as the ones in the prequels is probably not the best way to open a trailer. 

It's hard to tell from a quick cut trailer, but it doesn't look as "Volume-ish" as the other shows. 20 years ago, this level of SFX would've been movie quality only (except the shoddy ship crashing). Glad to see another Wookie make in into live action.  

That said, story is all.

It looks like it could be very fun. Will wait until July to find out (to reactivate D+ and binge the whole thing). 

Also, was that Dafne Keen in the white make up?

Yeah, it looks like they're really leaning in to the wuxia for the fights- bringing the flippy stuff from the prequels into something more... well, competent. But there's too little there to judge if it actually is competent, so...

Like that first exchange between Moss and Stenberg looks like an attempt to do a more solid version of that goofy-ass bit in RotS where Anakin and Obi-Wan were supposedly deflecting their lightsabers while actually just wildly flailing.

It is an odd choice to open with an extended scene of the younglings when as far as I can tell that's not really a focus of the plot at all. Supposedly, it's Stenberg who's the main character, and that trailer doesn't get that across at all. 

Edited by polishgenius

Ah, we've gone from mining the nostalgia of the OT to mining the nostalgia of the prequels. Makes sense; it's 25 years since Phantom Menace, and lots of folks love exactly that part of the prequels (including, like, every single one of my kids). 

Looks like it's fun and has some cool fights, which is pretty much all I can ask for from Star Wars when it isn't Andor. 

The story may have some higher level Andor style storytelling within it, but that trailer certainly wouldn't let you know that.

Otherwise, I do think it looks interesting and I'm absolutely planning to watch.

12 minutes ago, HokieStone said:

So many yellow lightsabers.

So many Sentinels….not that the people who made this show would understand that :P   Also is it just me or the idea of a wookie wielding a lightsaber and wearing Jedi robes is goofy as fuck ?( even for Star Wars)

it’s like when I make my Yorkie wear a bday T-shirt, cute but unrealistic lol. Somehow chewie being an engineer is more believable than being a wise Jedi.

Edited by Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II

2 hours ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

So many Sentinels….not that the people who made this show would understand that :P   Also is it just me or the idea of a wookie wielding a lightsaber and wearing Jedi robes is goofy as fuck ?( even for Star Wars)

it’s like when I make my Yorkie wear a bday T-shirt, cute but unrealistic lol. Somehow chewie being an engineer is more believable than being a wise Jedi.

*insert sad Lowbacca noises...*

Also weren't the Wookies specifically known for their engineering prowess and that's exactly why they were enslaved by the Empire to help build the Death Star? You are just biased because they don't wear clothes! XD

1 hour ago, Toth said:

*insert sad Lowbacca noises...*

Also weren't the Wookies specifically known for their engineering prowess and that's exactly why they were enslaved by the Empire to help build the Death Star? You are just biased because they don't wear clothes! XD

I just looked up who that was, as I didn’t read any post Timothy  Zahn EU in terms of timeline, more of a fan of the old republic settings. Damn they just have to have the descendants of all the OT characters be relevant don’t they lol. 

27 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

It’s funny how quickly The Volume went from being the saviour of modern special effects to something producers have to declare they aren’t using to advertise their shows. 

Quite the turnaround.

Kinda like green screens a decade ago( even though the technology’s been around forever), and shooting on film. I remember they used that alot to promote The Force Awakens - we shot in an actual desert !

4 hours ago, polishgenius said:

She was for a bit, yeah

this seems an enormous reach for which there is absolutely no evidence whatsoever

Right, she's innocent as a little puppy dog. She clearly had no idea what her employer was doing, truly what was I thinking, lol

9 minutes ago, sifth said:

Right, she's innocent as a little puppy dog. She clearly had no idea what her employer was doing, truly what was I thinking, lol

I mean by that logic the whole of fucking Hollywood knew for decades,including cinematic stalwarts like Tarantino who’s famously outspoken but didn’t do shit about Weinstein. Just seems like an odd thing to complain about her when looking at the trailer alone there are thousand things that feel wrong. 

It’s the same thing with Joss Whedon, but no one wanted to confront him until Justice League 

Edited by Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II