Rings of Power 5: I Will Take the Thread to Reddit

HexMachina

9 minutes ago, KingAerys_II said:

Celebrimbor is younger than Galadriel, he belongs to the House of Feanor.
He is the offspring of Feanor sons, so he should have black hair and grey eyes.

Galadriel should be married to Celeborn, her daughter should be married to Elrond .

The search for Sauron has no sense, he searched for Celebrimbor , who was able to create magical objects unlike Sauron who was a corrupted Maiar , the act of creation is something related to Eru Iluvatar , that gifted Elves and Men with those skills.
The One Ring Sauron created is just an indestructible object containing the will of Sauron to corrupt and dominate life.

Finrod died thousands years before the rings

Right, but these problems don’t come from some ‘woke’ mentality 

11 minutes ago, KingAerys_II said:

Not all of Fëanor's sons had black hair. We don't know who their spouses were. Unless you can find me evidence in Tolkien's writings of Celebrimbor's description, this is an insignificant detail.

Galadriel should be married to Celeborn, her daughter should be married to Elrond .

Well she is in the show, too, she just believes herself a widow because the show needs a mystery box for season 2.

The search for Sauron has no sense, he searched for Celebrimbor , who was able to create magical objects unlike Sauron who was a corrupted Maiar , the act of creation is something related to Eru Iluvatar , that gifted Elves and Men with those skills.
The One Ring Sauron created is just an indestructible object containing the will of Sauron to corrupt and dominate life.

There is a difference between the godly act of creation and making things. Elves, Men, and Dwarves make things out something else. Sauron can do the same. Stop saying he can't.

FA 587 (end of the War of Wrath) - FA 465 (Finrod's death) + SA 1590 (making of the rings) = 1712 years. You're a bit short on "thousands of years". 

45 minutes ago, KingAerys_II said:

Jesus Mother of God. Nothing there is "American politics/ woke activism". What the literal fuck is going on?! Everything up there makes you a LOTR universe purist nothing else.

Anyway, because everything nowdays seems to have an American politics message in it, I actually googled if anyone saw a parallel since King Aerys refuses to mention anything concrete. After dismissing crap articles about meta "reasons" with inclusion for actors of a different color than white for elves or why Galadriel is painted as a Strong Female Character (though we all know she's feared and powerful as well in the books, just not maybe wielding a sword), I finally got something that might make sense even though I'm still not convinced.

Did not look up to see what political color the New Republic is wearing, just found the article an neat exercise in trying to see anything of American foreign politics in ROP.

https://newrepublic.com/article/167665/rings-power-saga-war-hungry-nation-amazon-lord-rings-review

39 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

Not all of Fëanor's sons had black hair. We don't know who their spouses were. Unless you can find me evidence in Tolkien's writings of Celebrimbor's description, this is an insignificant detail.

Well she is in the show, too, she just believes herself a widow because the show needs a mystery box for season 2.

There is a difference between the godly act of creation and making things. Elves, Men, and Dwarves make things out something else. Sauron can do the same. Stop saying he can't.

FA 587 (end of the War of Wrath) - FA 465 (Finrod's death) + SA 1590 (making of the rings) = 1712 years. You're a bit short on "thousands of years". 

Look it :wub: Someone knows his shit!

I like you.

1 hour ago, TormundsWoman said:

Did not look up to see what political color the New Republic is wearing, just found the article an neat exercise in trying to see anything of American foreign politics in ROP.

https://newrepublic.com/article/167665/rings-power-saga-war-hungry-nation-amazon-lord-rings-review

This article makes some pretty good points...

Since the publication of LOTR people have tried to associate it with current events and ideologies, despite Tolkien saying he doesn't like allegory and denying that WWII had an impact on the evolution of his story. Of course, RoP is not Tolkien's creation by a long shot. But if the writers/showrunners themselves did intentionally use allegory linked to present day social/cultural/political issues, I don't know if they admitted it. But like with Tolkien's work, people will continue to apply allegory to RoP, as evidence in that article linked above.

Edited by Corvinus85

But what does woke mean to you?  Beyond trying to not be a racist, misogynist, bigot ? :dunno: Why is this bad?  Why is this "american"?  All countries are filled with people who don't wish to be or behave like racists, misogynists, bigots, who don't wish to be cruel and inhumane to other people -- and that includes animals and the plane too.  What they wish is to practice the arts of tolerance and humanity.  What's with this being "american"?  Or bad?

3 minutes ago, Zorral said:

But what does woke mean to you?  Beyond trying to not be a racist, misogynist, bigot ? :dunno: Why is this bad?  Why is this "american"?  All countries are filled with people who don't wish to be or behave like racists, misogynists, bigots, who don't wish to be cruel and inhumane to other people -- and that includes animals and the plane too.  What they wish is to practice the arts of tolerance and humanity.  What's with this being "american"?  Or bad?

This conversation is tough enough to follow as it is without trying to resurrect the old ‘your definition of Woke is wrong’ argument. 

3 hours ago, TormundsWoman said:

At the moment they're back to their original lefty roots. New Republic, btw, as an interesting historic footnote, was where Stephen Glass made a name for himself. 

And then destroyed it, by fictionalising events, people, and more across dozens of pieces.

Fun times.

Edited by IlyaP

21 minutes ago, HexMachina said:

Once in a blue moon, a troll of such magnitude will come along that unites the entire forum against them. This is such a day

Clip Runner Up:  "They have a cave troll."

16 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

Celebrimbor is Curufin son, Maedhros and the twins were ginger, the rest took the physical features of the Noldor 

There is a difference between the godly act of creation and making things. Elves, Men, and Dwarves make things out something else. Sauron can do the same. Stop saying he can't

Children of Iluvatar have skills that are beyond Valar and Maiar power, that's why Sauron declared war on the elven realms, he wanted the three rings back

You just confirmed my point

Edited by KingAerys_II

19 hours ago, IlyaP said:

Is it a bit of fun? Eh. Exceedingly dumb and bewilderingly incomprehensible fun? Sure. 

I just don’t understand why someone would be ok with the bar being set so low for a show like this. On top of that it misunderstands the intention of the creators. 

Fast and Furious is a franchise that is intentionally over the top and silly. It tends to know when the stuff it’s doing is outright stupid. 

RoP is unintentionally stupid, worse it thinks it’s clever and has all the trappings of something intellectually complex. It’s also based on material that is not goofy and silly. The writers weren’t going for ‘dumb fun’ so why treat the show as if it’s that. 

Outside of that, the show just isn’t written in a ‘fun’ way. There is little humour, the pacing is incredibly laboured, entire episodes can go by without anything of interest happening. I often just skipped ahead because I was so bored. That is so far away from being fun. I honestly find it completely bewildering that someone could watch this show was describe it as ‘a bit of fun’.

10 hours ago, HexMachina said:

Once in a blue moon, a troll of such magnitude will come along that unites the entire forum against them. This is such a day

Far be it from me to break up this cross party broad coalition, but I do think there is a lot of ‘woke mentality’ behind many of the decisions on the show. I just don’t think they were in the top 10 reasons why the show is not very good! 

I can’t get behind that guys arguments, as much as I’d like to!

4 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Far be it from me to break up this cross party broad coalition, but I do think there is a lot of ‘woke mentality’ behind many of the decisions on the show. I just don’t think they were in the top 10 reasons why the show is not very good! 

They wanted a female main character, that's why they created a poor imitation of Eowyn and made those mistakes about Finrod.

They introduced a character that died in The Silmarillion, they have the rights on Lotr , it's very funny how incompetent they are 

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

Then please… specify what… and why.

1 hour ago, KingAerys_II said:

They wanted a female main character, that's why they created a poor imitation of Eowyn and made those mistakes about Finrod.

Galadriel, the Noldor who defied the Valar… out of spite (not because she had burned her bridges with a stupid oath that… by its terms… prevented itself from being capable of being fulfilled) who created several different kingdoms for herself in Tolkien’s lore… who could have been more powerful and deadly to the world than Sauron but chose to save the world via self denial… is a weak imitation of Eowyn?

10 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Then please… specify what… and why.

I mean I was asking the same question, but clearly a lot of the casting was done as a push for more diversity, rather than sticking to lore. 

Many of the female roles seem tick many of the ‘girlboss’ stereotypes and are just inventions. 

My question was more, outside of that, what is the activist angle he’s getting at?