Rings of Power 5: I Will Take the Thread to Reddit

HexMachina

21 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Many of the female roles seem tick many of the ‘girlboss’ stereotypes and are just inventions

As opposed to what? I grew up adoring Aeryn Sun and have a grandma who merrily fed Nazis lead from snowy Soviet ditches, so I have no problem with women doing badass things and cannot for the life of me imagine why anyone would. 

3 minutes ago, IlyaP said:

As opposed to what? I grew up adoring Aeryn Sun and have a grandma who merrily fed Nazis lead from snowy Soviet ditches, so I have no problem with women doing badass things and cannot for the life of me imagine why anyone would. 

As opposed to the million other ways that females can behave. 

1 minute ago, Heartofice said:

As opposed to the million other ways that females can behave. 

If it's just one of several depictions of plausible female behaviour, why is it a problem? 

It also provides the narrative with some drive and character motivation that ties into the larger plot and themes (admittedly, not well, but I am a forgiving person who grew up watching shows where the first season was awkward - does no one else remember the first seasons of Babylon 5, ST: TNG, Farscape, DS9, Enterprise, SG-1, etc.? Uneven shows that took a season or more to get their foooting).

31 minutes ago, IlyaP said:

it's just one of several depictions of plausible female behaviour, why is it a problem? 

Who says it’s one of several depictions? The problem is that it’s not one of several depictions. Instead any female central character has to be a bold and fierce hero who doesn’t take shit from no man, and has to embody typical male characteristics of physical strength and fighting power.

It’s not just Galadriel either, Bronwyn, who ,oh sure, is a healer, but then for reasons she suddenly is a leader and a total badass fighter. Other female characters like the Queen just boringly spew out dull girlboss lines and tell everyone why they are right. I guess the only diversion from this trope are the ‘hobbits’ but since they are basically Frodo and Sam but gender swapped there isn’t much to say there. 

Compare these female characters to LotR characters. Fellowship Galadriel isn’t just some hard faced girlboss, she embodies many more feminine features and is STILL 100 times more badass than the RoP version. Arwen managed to combine more feminine features whilst still being badass. Eowyn was a shield maiden but was far less one note than anyone in RoP. 

It’s as if modern writers are terrified of writing female characters with any traits that could be seen as soft or weak. So they just write the same male characters and gender swap them. It’s not as if this is a phenomenon isolated to RoP, the point is it’s the baseline for almost all female characters in Hollywood, especially in sci fi and fantasy, comic book and blockbuster genres over the past decade or so. If it was just one character then it wouldn’t be a problem, it’s the fact that it’s almost all of them.

Edited by Heartofice

2 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Galadriel, the Noldor who defied the Valar… out of spite (not because she had burned her bridges with a stupid oath that… by its terms… prevented itself from being capable of being fulfilled) who created several different kingdoms for herself in Tolkien’s lore… who could have been more powerful and deadly to the world than Sauron but chose to save the world via self denial… is a weak imitation of Eowyn?

So the poor imitation of Eowyn is better than Feanor , XD

Edited by KingAerys_II

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

It’s as if modern writers are terrified of writing female characters with any traits that could be seen as soft or weak

In fact Luthien had soft traits, she defeated Sauron .

Edited by KingAerys_II

4 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Outside of that, the show just isn’t written in a ‘fun’ way. There is little humour, the pacing is incredibly laboured, entire episodes can go by without anything of interest happening. I often just skipped ahead because I was so bored. That is so far away from being fun. I honestly find it completely bewildering that someone could watch this show was describe it as ‘a bit of fun’.

If only the Amazon video player offered the opportunity to play at 2x speed.

23 hours ago, KingAerys_II said:

Celebrimbor is younger than Galadriel, he belongs to the House of Feanor.
He is the offspring of Feanor sons, so he should have black hair and grey eyes.

Galadriel should be married to Celeborn, she should be mother as well.

The search for Sauron has no sense, he searched for Celebrimbor , who was able to create magical objects unlike Sauron who was a corrupted Maiar , the act of creation is something related to Eru Iluvatar , that gifted some Elves with skills that were beyond Valar power.
The One Ring Sauron created is just an indestructible object containing the will of Sauron to corrupt and dominate life, that's why he wanted the three rings for the elven kings, he was not able to create them.

Finrod died thousands years before the rings.

Adar has no sense, dark elves are just elves that never saw the light of the trees.

Gandalf landed in the Middle Earth when Celebrimbor already did the rings

RoP is poor fanfic

13 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

So we need is more women who will take shit from cis white men, gotcha. /s

Why, yes, it is known! It is the only way to save the world is to ensure women never speak except to say YESSIR! 

Also, fixed that for ya! 

I enjoyed reading of Luthien defeating Sauron, who turned himself into a giant werewolf to capture her, I enjoyed watching Eowyn slaying the Witch King of Angmar.

Galadriel never trusted Annatar and used her ring to defeat Sauron army when he sent his men to take it.

Tolkien invented the race of elves and female elves are physically as strong as male elves , so there was no need to put American ideologies into the tv series

Edited by KingAerys_II

3 hours ago, KingAerys_II said:

Galadriel never trusted Annatar and used her ring to defeat Sauron army when he sent his men to take it.

Facts not in evidence as far as I can tell.  Additionally, I recall at the Council of Elrond when questioned Elrond pointed out that the three Elven rings weren’t created for the “defeat of enemies” but for the preservation of beauty.  I am unaware of any textual reference for one of the three Elven rings being used in combat.

I will wait for additional information.

Edited by Ser Scot A Ellison

6 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Facts not in evidence as far as I can tell.  Additionally, I recall at the Council of Elrond when questioned Elrond pointed out that the three Elven rings weren’t the “defeat of enemies” but for the preservation of beauty.  I am unaware of any textual reference for one of the three Elven rings being used in combat.

The invasion of the Balchoth

Edited by KingAerys_II

7 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Facts not in evidence as far as I can tell.  Additionally, I recall at the Council of Elrond when questioned Elrond pointed out that the three Elven rings weren’t the “defeat of enemies” but for the preservation of beauty.  I am unaware of any textual reference for one of the three Elven rings being used in combat.

Indeed.

”The Three were not made by Sauron, nor did he ever touch them… They are not idle. But they were not made as weapons of war or conquest: that is not their power. Those who made them did not desire strength or domination or hoarded wealth, but understanding, making, and healing, to preserve all things unstained... if he regains the One. It would be better if the Three had never been. That is his purpose.”

You are right, but Galadriel was able to create a white mist, I don't know if it's relatable to the ring of water, then Cirdan gave his ring of fire to Gandalf, there are speculations that  it was useful against Durin Bane.

You are right that is the power of the ring

Edited by KingAerys_II