The Small Stuff That Doesn't Need a Thread. #8

LongRider

15 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

What is it?

I found this old large drawer that has several small slots of varying sizes (maybe 25-30?). My mom kept a ton of my childhood toys and my plan was to take a bunch of the ones that will fit in the different slots then glue them in and put a glass cover over it and hang it on the wall.

12 minutes ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

I found this old large drawer that has several small slots of varying sizes (maybe 25-30?). My mom kept a ton of my childhood toys and my plan was to take a bunch of the ones that will fit in the different slots then glue them in and put a glass cover over it and hang it on the wall.

Interesting project. Shouldn't be too difficult to turn it into a cabinet with sliding glass doors. Chuck a few LEDs in there and I bet it would look totally spiffing. 

Me 'n Chops were watching Under the Hammer the other day, and a dude turned up with a boxful of James Bond Corgi cars that we had almost 50 years ago. We lost all that stuff during our brief stint in care. Would love to have some of my old toys. 

Edited by Spockydog

JFC who will protect us?

Every so many months now theres some big data breach that is absolutely screwing the masses and theres no solution in sight.

AT&T says personal data from 73 million current and former account holders leaked onto dark web

https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/30/tech/att-data-leak

Lesson of the day: My English seems to be far less okay than I thought it was.

I finally managed to get to a Meetup after almost 4 months of being on the damn platform and this time even was shoved into a group to play with. Eventually the group dissolved and everyone went home and since everyone else was in the middle of a game, I went and watch a game of Werewolf. The thing is, my table apparently was the only one purely German, whereas the other tables were all in English because of the varied backgrounds. The Werewolf game was directed by this very fast-speaking British dude who apparently organized this every week for countless months on end. So you can imagine he was trying to play the game at a very brisk pace... and I must admit, as a spectator, I couldn't understand a single thing. He was speaking far too fast for me to follow. I already know that my pronunciation and speaking speed is considerably more shaky because of my lack of practice than my writing would suggest, but I was taken aback that I also have so much difficulty in in-person listening to someone who I imagine was an auctioneer in a previous life. Dang it... But much more surprising was how many of the players actually seemed to be able to follow him (not all, mind you, some also looked fairly lost and miserable).

34 minutes ago, Toth said:

Lesson of the day: My English seems to be far less okay than I thought it was.

I finally managed to get to a Meetup after almost 4 months of being on the damn platform and this time even was shoved into a group to play with. Eventually the group dissolved and everyone went home and since everyone else was in the middle of a game, I went and watch a game of Werewolf. The thing is, my table apparently was the only one purely German, whereas the other tables were all in English because of the varied backgrounds. The Werewolf game was directed by this very fast-speaking British dude who apparently organized this every week for countless months on end. So you can imagine he was trying to play the game at a very brisk pace... and I must admit, as a spectator, I couldn't understand a single thing. He was speaking far too fast for me to follow. I already know that my pronunciation and speaking speed is considerably more shaky because of my lack of practice than my writing would suggest, but I was taken aback that I also have so much difficulty in in-person listening to someone who I imagine was an auctioneer in a previous life. Dang it... But much more surprising was how many of the players actually seemed to be able to follow him (not all, mind you, some also looked fairly lost and miserable).

Ey up, lad! Soyer ina dungeon, yer? Dark as yer head oop a miner’s arse, yer? Whocha roll? 

I purchased a diary/journal recently and it arrived today. It's a yearlong one and I'm curious to see what happens when I get to the end and look back. I wrote myself a message inside the cover and have no plans to look at it again until the next rotation around the sun. Hopefully this proves to be an enlightening experience. I quite enjoyed scribbling down my initial thoughts on the first actual page. I'm going to force myself to at least write a little bit each day, but if the first entry was any indicator I'm going to have to write pretty small lol. Maybe I shouldn't have opted for the smallest of the three (it's still pretty big, like the size of your average book). 

Also, in the same Amazon box I got a lighter. It's the size of a zippo and looks exactly like the original Gameboy, plus it lights up. What really surprised me is that it's electric so I just have to charge it like I would for my phone. Is it the most functional thing ever? No, but it looks cool and I can at least light a joint and some candles with it. 

On 4/1/2024 at 12:15 AM, Spockydog said:

Dinnae make me come up there ya bawheid!

I feel that every time I'm walking through an airport over the last few years I've seen a sign with a taxi operator holding up a sign with 'bawbag' on it.  

Day after Easter Monday is one of my favourite days of the year. I fucking love Easter eggs and they are all reduced to fuck, I load up and just scoff Easter chocolate for the next couple of months. 

10 hours ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

Also, in the same Amazon box I got a lighter. It's the size of a zippo and looks exactly like the original Gameboy,

I think I've got an idea what happens in a year, when you reach the final page of that diary. :D

I must give it to the Amazon algorithm, that was very thoughtful. :leaving:

13 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

I feel that every time I'm walking through an airport over the last few years I've seen a sign with a taxi operator holding up a sign with 'bawbag' on it.  

Day after Easter Monday is one of my favourite days of the year. I fucking love Easter eggs and they are all reduced to fuck, I load up and just scoff Easter chocolate for the next couple of months. 

I do this with Christmas chocolates 

On 4/2/2024 at 5:32 PM, HexMachina said:
On 4/2/2024 at 3:51 AM, BigFatCoward said:

are all reduced to fuck, I load up and just scoff Easter chocolate for the next couple of months. 

I do this with Christmas chocolates 

Does anyone do this with Valentine's Day chocolates?  I don't do any of them, but I I were to, I'd do all three!  (Not big on chocolate, or sweets generally, particularly candy, so this isn't a virtue of self control!)

Just had a light earthquake here.  My office chair rolled, desk shook, the surface of my tea rippled, the windows rattled, etc.  It lasted maybe 20-30 seconds.  Maybe even less, as it's hard to know when one's heart beat and breathing shoot off the scale in such moments. Those around me, went, "What the FUCK was THAT?"  I said, "Earthquake."  I knew because I'd gone through one of them before a few years before, in the office chair at the same desk, at the same time of day.  Then we heard all kinds of people, inside and outside, expressing shock and bewilderment.  "What happened?????????????????"

UPDATE: and now we know -- a 4.7 earthquake at Tewksbury, NJ, the roil of which reached Manhattan Island.  The same general NJ region had an earthquake on March 24th too.

UPDATE2: 

Ha! Hit the WaPo --

A magnitude-4.7 earthquake struck northern New Jersey on Friday morning, producing tremors that were felt in New York City and as far away as Maryland and Connecticut.

The quake hit at 10:23 a.m. near Lebanon, N.J., the U.S. Geological Survey reported.

People reported feeling the shake as far as Philadelphia and New Haven, Conn., according to the USGS. On social media, people in Maryland and Massachusetts also said they felt it. Some in New Jersey and New York described it as a strong shaking.

If one hasn't experienced this, it's not like anything else, sitting on earthquake tremors.  Particularly as it goes from 0 to It just like that.

Edited by Zorral

Interesting about the earthquake on the East coast, my brother in Reno, Nevada reported yesterday shaking with the quake centered west in the Sierra's, 4.8 in a tiny mountain town, Chester, CA.

11 minutes ago, LongRider said:

my brother in Reno, Nevada reported yesterday shaking with the quake centered west in the Sierra's, 4.8 in a tiny mountain town, Chester, CA.

It does seem earthquakes have gotten more frequent in places that don't usually have them.

Not to mention places that do -- Taiwan's great big one earlier this week, for instance.

Earthquakes are common in Reno and No. Nevada, and of course California, but the East Coast and NY usually do not have EQ's do they?   Fraking has been reported as causing quakes, is there a lot of fraking in the East Coast?  

8 minutes ago, Zorral said:

It does seem earthquakes have gotten more frequent in places that don't usually have them.

Earthquakes aren't common in the Eastern Atlantic region, but they aren't unknown either.

Hearing the reports coming in, it was a lot rougher and scarier at the epicenter.  We, for instance, didn't get the sound that comes with earthquakes -- but they did get that boom, along with milder ones from the aftershocks.  We haven't gotten aftershocks, it seems.

For me, since Manhattan Island for the most part is bed rock, I was surprised we felt it. But we're downtown, where the bedrock begins to run out. At the foot of the island, it's  landfill, that started filling in the shorelines back in the 17th century.

7 hours ago, Zorral said:

Does anyone do this with Valentine's Day chocolates?  I don't do any of them, but I I were to, I'd do all three!  (Not big on chocolate, or sweets generally, particularly candy, so this isn't a virtue of self control!)

They aren't really a thing over here. People buy chocolates for valentines I guess but from my experience they're just generic boxes of chocolates already on the market - Lindt/Lindor, Heroes, Ferrero Rocher, etc. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong. I'm just thinking of the "seasonal" aisle in supermarkets and the three times of the year I can think of where we get themed chocolate/sweets are Christmas, Easter and Hallowe'en. And the last one is usually crammed onto the end of the aisle since the Christmas stuff comes in beginning of September.