Dating Thread: In Memoriam

4 minutes ago, DMC said:

I mean, yes, I suppose I have a mental checklist for toiletries and chargers - and frankly that’s even more important to go through when leaving a hotel - but are y’all saying you actually write this shit down?

Mate, I had a fucking spreadsheet for my trip to Barcelona. And I still ended up paying the hotel to ship the five pairs of trousers I left hanging in the wardrobe.

1 minute ago, Spockydog said:

Mate, I had a fucking spreadsheet for my trip to Barcelona. And I still ended up paying the hotel to ship the five pairs of trousers I left hanging in the wardrobe.

Well, ya know, stop smoking so much weed.

1 minute ago, DMC said:

Well, ya know, stop smoking so much weed.

In my defence, it was a frantic packing of bags and last minute dash to the airport once I realised I had no real reason to attend the last night of Spannabis.

3 hours ago, DMC said:

Nope.  Just count how many shirts, pants, etc. I’ll need for the trip and put em in the suitcase.  Packing for two weeks is tougher in terms of room.  I don’t think I could fit enough clean clothes without knowing I could do laundry there.

It's just a few interchangeable outfits. I'm not packing very much. The goddamn stuffed animals that are bribes for the kiddo took up a lot of space, but that part is done.

3 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Wtf mate? 

Look, I get you Brits aren't allowed to have nice things anymore or fun in general, but this guy goes to a lot of resorts. :P

3 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

You NEED 3 things for a trip, wallet, passport, tickets. Everything else is a want. 

Wrong. What kind of weirdo travels without their phone?

I literally need my phone, computer, chargers for both, sun hat, SPF 50, a bra, and my medication. I can buy pretty much anything else on the streets of Naples (Italy).

And, in fact, this has happened.

I can tell you that nowhere in Italy can one find a decent lingerie shop or even an indecent one with a size 30E brassiere, though I’m pretty sure that one could find such in Brazil. Or perhaps Germany.

The Germans are generally….well. MY MOTHER said, “Germans. It’s either two twin beds or an orgy.”

MY MOTHER.

14 minutes ago, Madame deVenoge said:

The Germans are generally….well. MY MOTHER said, “Germans. It’s either two twin beds or an orgy.”

MY MOTHER.

Your mother sounds like a cool lady.

What’s annoying about traveling these days is I’ll have both my laptop and my iPad in my carry on, and going through security every airport has different procedures for whether and/or how to take them out.  I swear they do this just to fuck with people like a perverse social psychologist.  So I’ll just ask the TSA agent when I get to the bins what I’m supposed to do, and they always look at me like I’m an idiot.  Fuck you TSA.

51 minutes ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

It's just a few interchangeable outfits. I'm not packing very much. The goddamn stuffed animals that are bribes for the kiddo took up a lot of space, but that part is done.

Look, I get you Brits aren't allowed to have nice things anymore or fun in general, but this guy goes to a lot of resorts. :P

Who packs their phone?  It's a fucking prosthesis at this point.  

7 hours ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

You don't make a checklist? I just hate forgetting a hat or swimsuit or whatever when I need one because I also pack the night before outside of the laptop bag. Having to buy something you already have is annoying. 

You're a Minnesota dude.  Just check your supplies when you land and then stop at Target.

5 hours ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

The sort that doesn't wear a swimsuit. 

I wouldn't choose to, but i can manage without it for a couple of weeks.  Its a phone, not a pacemaker. 

Edited by BigFatCoward

5 hours ago, Madame deVenoge said:

I literally need my phone, computer, chargers for both, sun hat, SPF 50, a bra, and my medication. I can buy pretty much anything else on the streets of Naples (Italy).

And, in fact, this has happened.

Yep, when we went on holiday for my wife's 30th they lost her luggage, unless you are travelling in the middle of the amazon, there's nothing you can't buy that you need. 

7 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

The sort that doesn't wear a swimsuit. 

I wouldn't choose to, but i can manage without it for a couple of weeks.  Its a phone, not a pacemaker. 

Just don't be married to it and don't rely on it to do things you'd otherwise do with a laptop. It's pretty freeing.

I miss flip phones. Part of me really wants to go back to one. And fuck do I miss burners...

I had been attempting to get back into the dating world after some trouble with mental issues, and I’m in a terrible spot. I had a female friend, who was also a roommate for a number of years, that I got closer and closer to. With the end result being I am in love with her, and she is engaged to someone else. I met her and became friends with her through them dating, so I never would have even met this person on my own. 

Wow does this suck. Any attempts I have made to move on so far have just met with complete failure. Have gone out on dates, not always just first dates, and I can’t move on. Im sure the problem is I still want to remain friends with her, we are close friends and I’ve shared a lot of stuff with her. But that feels like that’s a terrible idea, and I’ve been in this position for a couple months now. 

I hate the thought of losing someone I have shared so much of my life with, but I’m so lonely and feel so isolated. I have to figure out how to move forward and find someone who will reciprocate the feelings that I have

1 hour ago, Reny of Storms End said:

I had been attempting to get back into the dating world after some trouble with mental issues, and I’m in a terrible spot. I had a female friend, who was also a roommate for a number of years, that I got closer and closer to. With the end result being I am in love with her, and she is engaged to someone else. I met her and became friends with her through them dating, so I never would have even met this person on my own. 

Wow does this suck. Any attempts I have made to move on so far have just met with complete failure. Have gone out on dates, not always just first dates, and I can’t move on. Im sure the problem is I still want to remain friends with her, we are close friends and I’ve shared a lot of stuff with her. But that feels like that’s a terrible idea, and I’ve been in this position for a couple months now. 

I hate the thought of losing someone I have shared so much of my life with, but I’m so lonely and feel so isolated. I have to figure out how to move forward and find someone who will reciprocate the feelings that I have

You are not alone, truuuuuust me.

1 hour ago, Reny of Storms End said:

This really sucks man, I’ve been there.  Well not exactly there, but I’ve been in a few love triangles with close friends over the years.  My advice would be if you really can’t get over her, you need to cut off contact.  Of course that’s just me - and naturally it gets even worse and more lonely at first - but eventually you do move on.

Though I should note that cutting off contact doesn't necessarily have to be forever. I'm certainly no expert and have been accused of treating emotions like a robot, but I'm still convinced that the feelings can pass when you keep your distance for some time. In a year or so, or at the very least when you find yourself in a different spot of your life and have a fresh perspective, you could still tentatively reach out and reconnect as long as it doesn't bubble up again.