April 8, 2024 Total Solar Eclipse

We’ll have a ~90% eclipse here, which IIRC is about the same as the one I saw in Chicago a few years ago (2017?).  But now it’s forecast to be overcast here tomorrow afternoon, so overall sounds like not a big deal.

People standing around, sitting around, trying to figure out how to wear their eclipse glasses that are being sold all over the place.  Nothing is going to start here for quite a while yet.  Also, clouds are around . . . .  We supposedly get 85-90% here.

I've been popping out to observe it here (80%) and this last time right before peak you could really notice the difference in daylight and temp and the owls are hooting. Love it. Not as cool as a total eclipse, but still pretty awesome.

Even with the slightly overcast sky, I could still see the eclipse with the glasses.  It got VERY dark here in SE Michigan.  An old lady didn't know what was going on and was slightly panicked by it until someone explained it to her.

Very cool!

ETA:  I really wanted to take a picture of it, but didn't know what setting my phone should be on to get the best shot.  I guess I could have put the glasses over the lens, which I just thought of now.  :angry: 

Edited by Tears of Lys

It didn't get dark here, also clouds came and went, but around the most obscured minutes, the light turned -- odd. 

It was fun though, to see so many people of every sort focused on the same thing for the same reasons, enjoying it, and being in good humor.  It takes a major sidereal event to bring us together, I guess.

10 minutes ago, Zorral said:

It was fun though, to see so many people of every sort focused on the same thing for the same reasons, enjoying it, and being in good humor.  It takes a major sidereal event to bring us together, I guess.

For sure. My house was in the path, so the whole area the just slammed with people everywhere.

It reminded me of the great blackout. Everyone out and about at once.