International events

Bironic

Israel announces the withdrawal of its ground troops from southern Gaza to rest but announces “future operations”
The army alludes that the forces remaining in Gaza will ensure “precise operations based on intelligence.” Military sources deny that the decision is due to pressure from the United States

https://elpais.com/internacional/2024-04-07/israel-retira-sus-tropas-terrestres-del-sur-de-gaza-cuando-se-cumplen-seis-meses-de-la-guerra.html

The only solution to the crisis in the Middle East is allowing Palestinians to migrate to Europe, the USA, or somewhere else. 

It's not fair to Israel or the Palestinians to make them live with each other where they are.

3 hours ago, The Big Stink said:

The only solution to the crisis in the Middle East is allowing Palestinians to migrate to Europe, the USA, or somewhere else. 

It's not fair to Israel or the Palestinians to make them live with each other where they are.

There’s a name for what you propose. 

3 hours ago, The Big Stink said:

Did someone ask you to justify your username or something?

And the world’s richest and most obnoxious incel is at it again! :rofl:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2024/apr/08/elon-musk-brazil-x-jair-bolsonaro

Elon Musk faces Brazil inquiry after defying X court order

Elon Musk faces a legal investigation in Brazil after becoming embroiled in a public row with a supreme court judge over an order requiring the social network X to take down some far-right accounts.

Justice Alexandre de Moraes had issued a court order forcing the site formerly known as Twitter to block several users as part of his investigation into the former president Jair Bolsonaro’s attempts to stay in power after his 2022 election defeat.

The order also barred the social network from publishing details of which accounts were blocked, and came with fines of about £16,000 a day for failure to comply. Now, Musk says, the company will reverse those blocks. The multibillionaire also called on Moraes to resign or be impeached.

In response, the judge announced late on Sunday that he had opened an inquiry into what he called Musk’s obstruction of justice.

22 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

And the world’s richest and most obnoxious incel is at it again! :rofl:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2024/apr/08/elon-musk-brazil-x-jair-bolsonaro

Elon Musk faces Brazil inquiry after defying X court order

That our Overlords are so fucking stupid rarely fails to amuse.

I guess if X defies a court order the court can give the whole platform a timeout (i.e.block access in Brazil) until it complies with the court order. I suppose that would be a pretty extreme action but ultimately what is a court going to do if a company refuses a court order without going through the legal appeals process to get the court order overturned?

I guess daily fines are good but what if X refuses to pay? If Musk makes this all about standing up for some kind of principle then refusing to pay fines will be part of that moral stand.

On 4/8/2024 at 11:54 AM, TheLastWolf said:

Did someone ask you to justify your username or something?

The fact that you want more people to needlessly dies says more about you than any insult you can throw.

We can keep doing this tragic song and dance every year in perpetuity of we can allow some of these poor people to make a fresh start in a land of abundance and opportunity.

Israel is the last refuge for a people who have been persecuted for centuries. If it goes they have nowhere else to flee. They are in an existential crisis. I don't agree with some of their actions but I understand them.

I feel for the Palestinians. They are being killed by the thousands. If we granted them refugee status they would not have to die.

13 minutes ago, The Big Stink said:

The fact that you want more people to needlessly dies says more about you than any insult you can throw.

We can keep doing this tragic song and dance every year in perpetuity of we can allow some of these poor people to make a fresh start in a land of abundance and opportunity.

Israel is the last refuge for a people who have been persecuted for centuries. If it goes they have nowhere else to flee. They are in an existential crisis. I don't agree with some of their actions but I understand them.

I feel for the Palestinians. They are being killed by the thousands. If we granted them refugee status they would not have to die.

Your rationale is like those who say women should dress modestly so as to prevent rape. 

Edited by TheLastWolf

2 hours ago, The Big Stink said:

Maybe if the Likuders etc. halted the theft of Palestinian lands, repression of their civil and legal rights, etc. Palestinians wouldn't have to die.

7 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

That went well for Jews there in the past… didn’t it?

You’re right. But it’s still a valid rhetorical argument for someone who is shamelessly proposing ethnic cleansing like it’s a vacation in the Caribbean.

1 minute ago, kissdbyfire said:

You’re right. But it’s still a valid rhetorical argument for someone who is shamelessly proposing ethnic cleansing like it’s a vacation in the Caribbean.

Understood.  That said I have seen some Hamas sympathizers (elsewhere not here) seriously argue for the evacuation of the Jewish citzens of Israel.

Just now, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Understood.  That said I have seen some Hamas sympathizers (elsewhere not here) seriously argue for the evacuation of the Jewish citzens of Israel.

This is us, Scot, us humans.
We have very terrible people… on both sides.

• Ran locked this topic