The ASOIAF wiki thread

Onion Knight

@Ran Could you add the content of User:Abjiklam/update.css to the site's styles.

It updates the following:

• Hatnotes and disambiguation notices will be properly styled
  • Template documentations will be styled as in Wikimedia projects
  • Plainlists will be properly formatted (Template:Plainlist has no effect if the proper styles are not included)

Thank you!

On 8/31/2022 at 2:25 AM, Alyx Rivers said:

@Ran, I've brought this up before, but since nothing's happened yet, I figured, I'd mention it again. The Italian wiki that is listed as one of the Sister Wikis and which articles should be able to interlink to, is at a new domain.

It's  https://www.labarriera.net/wiki/index.php/Pagina_principale now.

I also noticed that the Dutch wiki we're interlinking to does not actually interlink to us, but to the Game of Thrones wiki.

The Manual of Style on the Wiki says that there should be no external links in the body of an article. Does this apply to TV show articles as well?

I'm asking because back with GoT, on the show, season and episode pages, actors got linked to Wikipedia if there was an article about them there and otherwise they just weren't linked. The exception was the List of actors page where there is a Wikipedia link in the text and an IMDb link at the end of the paragraph in brackets.

Now, with HotD, all the actors who don't have a Wikipedia page, get an IMDb link right there on the show, season and episode pages. These are obviously external links in the body of the article and it means you have all these little lock icon images in the middle of the cast lists. Personally, I'm not a fan, but I figured I'd ask what others think of this.

Should we leave it as it is, should we go back to how we did it with GoT, or should we link the actors to the section of the List of actors page that pertains to them (where there will still be the Wikipedia and IMDb links)?

• 3 weeks later...

Question, i just saw that according to some editors we do not have permission to use the art of Magali Villeneuve but when i go to the page of his images each and every one of them has a banner that says the copyright holder has granted permission. Is that just a standard banner that appears when you upload a image (i have never done that so i don't know) or is there in fact permission but is there just no link to the permission?

Edited by direpupy

I don't know the source of the situation, re: Magali's art, or when it first started being used, or why that thing is there without express permission from her. Which editor(s) have pointed it out and where? (I've a vague memory of a similar discussion in the past but am not sure of it.)

On a new note, this page about differences between F&B and HotD has raised some discussion starting here about the year the show started. I contend that they had Jaehaerys die in 101 and so the 9th year of Viserys's reign is in fact 109 AC, which is where the show starts, and we are now in 129 AC as of episode 9. In particular, we are told at the start of the show, after the prologue, that is 172 years before the death of Aerys and the birth of Daenerys... but in the TV show canon, those events were moved to 280-281AC, so the 109 AC date for the start of the show checks out. OTOH, maybe they have retconned that, moved things back to their proper dating, and so the show does in fact start in 112 AC...

But in any case, I think @Thomaerys Velaryon @Potsk and whoever else has helped maintain it should consider updating the page to reflect the ambiguity, unless there is a clear and explicit source that the show starts in 112 AC _or_ 109 AC. 

And on another note, discusion of the RoP show getting Fiona Apple to do a rendition of Tolkien's Ring verse made me wonder about whether we'll ever get the "complex round" of "interwoven ballads" that recounts the Dance.. but when I checked the wiki page I think someone has conflated it with another song entirely. In ASoS, this is what we're told:

Then the heralds summoned another singer; Collio Quaynis of Tyrosh, who had a vermilion beard and an accent as ludicrous as Symon had promised. Collio began with his version of "The Dance of the Dragons," which was more properly a song for two singers, male and female. Tyrion suffered through it with a double helping of honey-ginger partridge and several cups of wine. A haunting ballad of two dying lovers amidst the Doom of Valyria might have pleased the hall more if Collio had not sung it in High Valyrian, which most of the guests could not speak. But "Bessa the Barmaid" won them back with its ribald lyrics. Peacocks were served in their plumage, roasted whole and stuffed with dates, while Collio summoned a drummer, bowed low before Lord Tywin, and launched into "The Rains of Castamere."

To me, this clearly reads that his "set list" was:

Solo version of the Dance of the Dragons.

Unnamed High Valyrian ballad.

Bessa the Barmaid

The Rains of Castamere

Or, in other words, the wiki page is wrong in its assumption that the High Valyrian haunting ballad and the Dance of the Dragons are one-and-the-same. It looks like FFG may have made this mistake themselves when naming a card "The Dance of the Dragons" and illustrating it with a (very nice!) piece of art showing two lovers amidst the flames of the Doom.

Anyone else agree with me?

Edited by Ran

2 hours ago, Ran said:

I don't know the source of the situation, re: Magali's art, or when it first started being used, or why that thing is there without express permission from her. Which editor(s) have pointed it out and where? (I've a vague memory of a similar discussion in the past but am not sure of it.)

I found it on the Aemon Targaryen (son of Jaehaerys I) page when i looked at the page history it is the third revision from the top by @Mindset from last januari. There he says there is no permission, but when i went to the page with the artwork he talked about and there was a banner there with the text This work is copyrighted, but the copyright holder has granted permission for this image to be used in A Wiki of Ice and Fire. This permission does not extend to third parties, however there is no link to an actual permission. So i looked at other artwork by magali and they al have the same banner, hence my question if this is a standard banner that automaticaly appears when you upload an image or if the precence of the banner itself implies a permission has been given but there is just no link to a email or message.

Edited by direpupy

I think I have been the one who has brought up this topic before. Usually artists don't keep the rights for artwork that is commissioned by publishers, so they aren't able to give permission for use of their artwork in the first place. One would have to ask the publisher or GRRM himself, depending on who exactly holds the rights. Since Ran thought that neither of them would have any issues with the wiki using the artwork, he said that it's alright as it is, although I think the templates should be adjusted.