NFL Thread 14 - Super Bowl

Mexal

That's absurd. How do you prove intentional injury?

Classic example is the Packers and Bears game in 86... towel with hit list... Charles Martin ten seconds after the play puts McMahon on the turf Jimmy Mac done for the season... Sometimes just the inferred penalty will adjust play.

Because labeling someone a rapist is a serious fucking deal and should only be done when there is no doubt. There is so much doubt here that it wasn't worth charging the man with a crime. As such, anyone judging him a rapist needs to understand that they are unjustly slandering a man.

His character has nothing to do with the matter. Assholes deserve due process as well as saints.

Reading comprehension fail.

Polamalu grew up in Ten Mile, Oregon. Don't know where that is in relation to Portland, but I gather it is a very, very small town. Pola played running back on offense, and I guess he would run for a lot of long touchdowns. I grew up in a similarly small town, and wondered what that would be like for someone whose athletic talent stands out even at the NFL level to be playing with guys like I played high school football with.

Polamalu grew up in Ten Mile, Oregon. Don't know where that is in relation to Portland, but I gather it is a very, very small town. Pola played running back on offense, and I guess he would run for a lot of long touchdowns. I grew up in a similarly small town, and wondered what that would be like for someone whose athletic talent stands out even at the NFL level to be playing with guys like I played high school football with.

Other end of the state. Not close at all. Southern Oregon and Portland actually have very little in common. I can't imagine a talent like Troy on a small team like that.

According to his online bio when he was at USC, he attended Douglas High in Winston, which is a bit north of Tenmile. Great stats as a junior but mostly hurt as a senior.

Kinda surprised he didn't play QB - hard to imagine that Douglas had a better QB and having the ball in the hand of the best player is usually a recipe for victory in high school football. When my older brother was in high school, a rival team had a QB that was totally unstoppable. My brother played baseball, not football, but I remember the football team going to the City championship where they were crushed in what to this day is probably the most memorable high school football game in San Diego history. The rival QB that day scored four long touchdowns on scrambles and added one on an INT return when he played defense. His name - Marcus Allen.

I don't think there is any reason to believe that the steelers will intentionally cheap shot rogers. That's not really something they've ever been known to do, and I can't see Tomlin or LeBeau endorsing something like that.

I think they WILL try to get to him early in the game, they'd be dumb not to. But that's not quite the same.

Harrison is not a dirty player. At least, not in the sense that he's likely to intentionally deliver a dirty hit in order to injure someone.

Frankly, i think the whole notion is kind of ridiculous.

Classic example is the Packers and Bears game in 86... towel with hit list... Charles Martin ten seconds after the play puts McMahon on the turf Jimmy Mac done for the season... Sometimes just the inferred penalty will adjust play.

I was thinking about this too, but then realized it's an extreme rarity. It was easily the most thuggish and dirty thing I've ever seen in a football game. Players and coaches aren't normally that stupid, nor would do they want to intentionally injure a player a like that.

I could see the Steelers going after Rodgers the way the Saints went after Favre in the NFC Championship last year, but that seems like a very risky strategy to me. Even then it's still just playing the game.

Game time is creeping closer. I'm starting to get really excited.

Its been a great run however it ends for the Packers. At mid-season I had written them off due to injuries, the lack of a running game and their repeated failure to win close games. They've figured out how to compensate for the toll the injuries had taken, found a running back, and figured out how to win when it counted.

What pleases me the most though, honestly, is that Donald Driver finally is going to get to play in a Superbowl. He's been a remarkably consistent producer at wide-out for the Packers for a very long time. He's both been a great player and of exemplary character and work-ethic his whole time in GB. He will never get consideration for the hall-of-fame despite his accomplishments, which is a shame. Its great to see him get a chance to play on Football's biggest stage.

As for the game itself I'm calling GB 28-24.

$10 on the Packers

$5 on over 44.5 points

$5 on Packers to score over 23.5 points

$5 on Rodgers to be MVP

$5 on Packers to score the first points

$5 on Rodgers to get more than 275.5 passing yards

A 3 foot sub, chicken wings and dip

Will be a fine night, (kickoff around midnight these parts) thank god I am underachieving enough to not have a job to attend tomorrow. Also picking Packers by random articles I have read, couldn't name a player on either team before today.

Could you point out the irony please? I kinda suck at realizing when something is ironic, so I am hoping you can help me out. Thanks!

No problem.

You can't agree with Stego's (technically correct) argument that Ben should not be considered a rapist against all common sense and probability because it has not been proven and then say "There are just as many dirt-bags and losers on the Packers as there are on the Steelers."

I'm so anxious and excited for this game... can't imagine what the players must be feeling. Ho dang.

Just some of my thoughts for the game:

Steelers:

Put pressure on Rodgers without giving up big plays. Use blitz in moderation. Allow the base defense to do its job.

Run the ball early - a lot. Steelers have a strong physical O-line and good RB. Don't force any passes into the excellent Packer secondary. Traditional run passed play calling. Steelers' running game will be the key to their success or failure.

Packers:

Start out with a base defense... no psycho defense stuff (2 lineman, 1 drops into coverage etc). Stack up the defensive line a bit to shut down the Steelers running game early on.

Packers offense should do what they've been doing all through the playoffs... no surprises, no extra "wrinkles" in the offense (god forbid the shovel pass). They will have success against the Steelers defense. Their playcalling is designed to always have an anti-blitz rout in the mix. And since Rodgers is so good at reading the blitz I think the Packers will remain effective on offense.

Packers 27-20

I'd like to think that karma would catch up to Roethlisbeger. I'd like to think he'll play horribly, embarrass himself, and the feel good Packers will win.

But that ain't how life is. To quote Dark Helmet, "Evil will always triumph over good because good is DUMB".

Instead Ben will have a great game and we will be bombarded with stories of Ben's redemption. More stories on how he is a changed man and has found God. How he is a Hall of Fame QB.

Steelers 31, Packers 23

Apologies for butting in to the thread but I'm trying to figure out whether you can watch the game live online. I wanted something big and obvious 'Click HERE to watch the Superbowl' but all the links I've found have been suspicious looking and I don't want to get a virus.

I don't want to do anything drastic like go out but to not even have it on in the background feels so UnAmerican.

And so E.J. Henderson finishes 3rd in the Comeback polls. Okay, fine, Vick I can sort of get, but MIKE WILLIAMS?!

Mike Williams deserved the votes, and in any other year (without the Vick comeback), he'd have won the award. The guy went from being out of the league and overweight by 40 pounds to being the #1 WR on an NFL team. Definitely fits the definition of a comeback.

As for today's game....while I like Rodgers a lot, I think I'm rooting for the Steelers. No big reason, other than the fact that Roethlisberger, Mendenhall, and Wallace won me a lot of money this year in fantasy football. Big Ben was one of the steals of the draft this season - so many people were avoiding him due to the suspension and personal dislike that he came at a great discount.

MVP goes to the Third Best QB in the League. Unanimously.

Okay, enough of the hollow victories.

Big Ben is a dirt-bag. The fact that the Georgia DA's office did not have the stones to press charges in the face of Big Ben's celebrity is of little consequence (I could write a disertation on how ADA's cherry-pick cases so maximize their chances of being elected to hire office or landing jobs with big firms). The fact that the bar, surreptitiously, had its security footage disappear, is also not to keep us, reasonable people, from having educated opinions. The fat fuck raped a girl and then got away with it. And we all get to pretend that the rules apply to us all equally. Best of luck with that.

Okay, enough of the hollow victories.

The NFL is won in one major defensive category- opponent's passer rating: the Packers have a much better record in that category this season than the Steelers. I think Rodgers is- for some strange reason -about to put his stamp on the NFL. I think the Steelers have injuries they cannot hide nor minimize. I think the Steelers have the better coach and the better run-defense. And I don't think that will matter as much.

Packers 31

Steelers 27

Okay, so, I have been right about EXACTLY NOTHING THIS SEASON! Z.E.R.O.! I doubt this will be much different.

Good luck and congrats to the fans of the Steelers and Packers for having great seasons.

Archived