EasterCon 2012: BwB Shenanigans (Attendance List first post)

Chaldanya

John and Gail will be attending Olympus 2012 on Friday and Saturday. We're celebrating 25 years of WILD CARDS, and there will be a WILD CARDS panel at the convention. John and Gail are a wonderful couple, and a hell of a lot of fun. The panel should be a highlight of the convention.

Excellent news! :D

Any news on the programme, yet? I don't want it to be sold out by the time I go to buy the membership but I'd at least like to see which day looks more appealing.

the convention will put up most of the programming schedule as soon as they have confirmations of panelists, etc.

There is a strong possibility that there will be NO day passes left to purchase at the convention door. Even if there are memberships left, they will cost more and can only be paid for in cash.

There's a growing interest in the convention as word gets out in the broader media that George is one of the GoHs, and there's an upper limit to how many attendees are allowed due to the amount of function space the convention has and safety regulations.

Sorry I haven't followed your personal posts, so don't know what days you can attend. We know the major GRRM interview conducted by our own Wert, will happen on the Sunday.

In general, I urge anyone who is still considering what days to attend to make their choice this week and get their memberships purchased, whether that be a day pass or a full 5 day membership.

The convention has extended the 'pre-con' rates until the end of March. Check out details at the Olympus 2012 website.

See you there!

I believe they have an upper limit of 1200 people and looking at the Eastercon website I see they have sold 1138 memberships. So if that is correct then there are only 62 remaining before they are sold out. I'd say there is a very good chance that will happen and there won't be any memberships available on the door.

Well I have a job again and it starts the week after Eastercon so I figured "what the hell" and got a weekend ticket (mine was 1187). It's my birthday that Sat anyhow and it sounds like the eastercon party is as good a place to celebrate as anywhere.

Put me down for the Monday viewing too if there's still space.

Yup, I'm doing the interview with GRRM. I was thinking of discussing football with him for 55 minutes and leaving 5 minutes for ASoIaF. How does that sound to people?

:P (obviously)

On a serious note, I currently understand (this might change) that there will be a one-hour interview followed by a 30-minute Q&A, so get thinking of some good questions :)

It's my birthday that Sat anyhow and it sounds like the eastercon party is as good a place to celebrate as anywhere.

Excellent!

I believe the discrepancy between total members and the membership numbers is because the guests are included in those numbers.

Speaking of I was just looking through the members list and noticed a certain Joe Abercrombie on the list. It looks like I will need to take a lot of books with me to get signed :)

Actually there are a few other authors on the list: Adrian Tchaikovsky, Chris Wooding, Aliette de Bodard, Kari Sperring, CE Murphy, Peadar Ó Guilín. Of course these guests have not been officially announced yet so they may not be confirmed as definitely attending. Although Peadar definitely is as he confirmed here ;)

I believe the discrepancy between total members and the membership numbers is because the guests are included in those numbers.

Speaking of I was just looking through the members list and noticed a certain Joe Abercrombie on the list. It looks like I will need to take a lot of books with me to get signed :)

MG, you wouldn't happen to know which days Mr Abercrombie will be attending? I will probably trudge my ass down to Heathrow for that.

Abercrombie. Tchaikovsky and Wooding are all authors I'd be happy to meet again.(I haven't read anything by the others or met them)

Questions for GRRM. Tricky as I have to think of something he might answer that's still informative.

Maybe this could be the perfect time to find out how vampires ever increased their population when all the females die in childbirth? I'm sure he has a satifasfactory answer that will finally put my mind at rest.

Questions for GRRM. Tricky as I have to think of something he might answer that's still informative.

Maybe this could be the perfect time to find out how vampires ever increased their population when all the females die in childbirth? I'm sure he has a satifasfactory answer that will finally put my mind at rest.

He'll probably be glad of any questions that aren't attempts to find out ASOIAF spoilers from future books.

The best way would be:

1) Heathrow Express to Paddington

2) Paddington to Baker St on Bakerloo Line (Brown line)

3) Baker St to Canning Town on Jubilee Line (Silver line)

4) Canning Town to London City Airport (DLR)

I'll take you about 60-90 minutes all being well.

N

Another option

1) Piccadilly line: Heathrow to Green Park

2) Jubilee Line: Green Park to Canning Town

3) DLR: Canning Town to London City Airport

Cost you less than half the price (Heathrow Express is fast, but hideously pricey) and will still take less than 90 minutes, with easier interchanges.

Well I have a job again and it starts the week after Eastercon so I figured "what the hell" and got a weekend ticket (mine was 1187). It's my birthday that Sat anyhow and it sounds like the eastercon party is as good a place to celebrate as anywhere.

Hooray! It'll be great to have you!

Another option

Cost you less than half the price (Heathrow Express is fast, but hideously pricey) and will still take less than 90 minutes, with easier interchanges.

Thanks!

How about:

Piccadily Line to Earls court

District Line to Bank

DLR to LCY?

Is Joe doing a signing, then? Cool.

Another option

I'm afraid I'm going to disagree with your timings. The first leg heathrow to green park by piccadilly line takes an hour on a good day. Were I using the tube for the full journey I would allow two hours. Especially on a bank holiday it iis, however cheaper, Alytha.

N

FYI Heathrow express is £13 one way

MG, you wouldn't happen to know which days Mr Abercrombie will be attending? I will probably trudge my ass down to Heathrow for that.

I can't even be 100% sure that he is coming. Just because his name is on the membership list does not necessarily mean that he is definitely able to attend. Of course it could be a fan who decided to give themselves his name on their namebadge. Hell it might even be someone else with the same name. Unlikely though methinks. But until he is confirmed as a guest we'll just have to wait and see.

Also Ski - you should be trudging down to Heathrow to hang out with the BWB. That ought to be the MAIN reason. Honestly the authors are just the icing on the cake ;)

Is Joe doing a signing, then? Cool.

If it really is Joe then I would definitely expect a signing session at some point, even if it's an unofficial one as we doorstop him in the bar.

Thanks!

How about:

Piccadily Line to Earls court

District Line to Bank

DLR to LCY?

District line doesn't go to Bank. It goes to Monument, which once upon a time you could walk from to Bank underground. However, for years now there have been ridiculous improvement works going on at Bank which have meant no interchange underground. You could walk from Cannon St though. If it was open. Sometimes it's open, sometimes it's closed. Haha. LU is so amusing.

Agree with Chal about the pic from Heathrow. I've done it both ways and it takes a l-o-n-g time. Also add on extra time for delays OBVIOUSLY. :)

Archived