NFL Championship Games

Stego

Shocking, I know. We're breathing, walking, talking oxymorons.

FWIW, most female Boston-sports fans look down on the super-girly "sports lovers." You know, the chicks that show up to games in pink hats and jerseys who can name maybe 1-2 players (usually Tom Brady and Wes Welker, or if it's the Red Sox Papi and Jacoby). They give the real sports enthusiasts a bad name.

But that's a different topic for a different day. :P

They're generally pretty hot in those pink jerseys though...

FWIW, most female Boston-sports fans look down on the super-girly "sports lovers." You know, the chicks that show up to games in pink hats and jerseys who can name maybe 1-2 players (usually Tom Brady and Wes Welker, or if it's the Red Sox Papi and Jacoby). They give the real sports enthusiasts a bad name.

I live in a town of 20,000 ish people. You can imagine how terrible local sports-talk radio is.

So a couple days ago the hosts were talking about this gal that comes into their day job who is a big 49ers fan and was very knowledgeable. Fast forward a couple minutes and they open up the phones for calls and this Kendra girl calls in and is doing the whole "Woo hoo! Forty Niners!!!! I'm a big slut!!!!" schtick. Whatever. Fine. Maybe she knows her stuff. Then the host asks her how 49ers fans feel about Harbaugh as a coach. She immediately slips into "Well... you know... it is what it is... maybe with this good year we can do better in the future."

I almost put my car into the ditch I was so apoplectic. Don't ever put a woman like that on the air and say that "she knows her team." I was almost home, so I didn't call in to express my disdain... but that moment will burn in my brain forever now unfortunately.

We have too much self-respect and football knowledge to pull a BS prissy-girl stunt like this.

Glitter on the nails? Really? I'm shaking my head.

I will agree with you on that. There seems to be a knowlegeable fan base all the way around New England. What I am talking about is the tears...

The tears of Patriot's fans makes everyone else's happy place grow into beautiful gardens... :mellow:

Well when in Rome the US. It's what true patriots would do to safeguard their country... :ninja:

I might have to break out the Bledsoe jersey tomorrow. Maybe.

Not really.

As I've mentioned elsewhere, I just can't get into the NFL like I once did. I guess I'm going for the 49ers. Or maybe the Ravens? Anyone but Eli. Really.

So, have not made my picks:

Ravens @ Patriots: Complete homer pick here. Ravens were great this year in stopping tight ends, they take away the deep part of the field and can have 4 guys put good pressure on the QB without blitzing. Here's the thing- I am not sure they can do that all at the same time against the Pats. I thinkl the Ravens will pick their posion- will eliminate Welker, try to shut down Gronk and Hernandez but fail and the Pats will be putting together gruesome 10 play drives that bury the Ravens. I really see the running backs keeping the Ravens off balance the whole game. I also think Flacco is going to melt in this game and not malke the throws he needs to make. Rice will have a good game, though. Ultimately, Brady has a better one and Flacco gets nowhere. Patriots 27 Ravens 17

Giants @ 49'ers: The Giants have everything that can geta team intoa Superbowl- a great pass rush,a great QB, good wide-outs, a fine running game and momentum. THe 49'ers have most of that as well. I think the 49'ers cannot get to Eli the way the Giants can get to Alex. The big question is - can the Giants stop both Smith and Gore. I think they can. I don't think the 49'ers can do the same to Eli and the Gianst running game. I also don't think home field matters that much (in either game, btw). I see the Gianst in control for most of the game. Giants 30 49'ers 20

Lemme get mine in...

Before the playoffs started, I picked Baltimore vs. SF, so I'm sticking with that.

Baltimore over New England. I'll take this, and I'll take the 7.5 points the Pats are laying, thanks. I think that this game will actually be pretty close the whole way. Last week, there were a couple of games where I would have been shocked if the underdog won (both AFC games); this game, not much would surprise me. So, I'll take the points, and I'll take B-more to win outright.

I hate this pick though, because so many of you bastards already picked Baltimore, and I don't really like picking a 7.5 point dog if a lot of other folks are picking them as well. It usually means I'm basing the pick on some kind of asinine talking point rather than on decent, independant analysis.

San Francisco over NYG. I think in a big part, this'll be determined by the SF running game being legit; with that said, the Giants are playing great right now, and have the tools to win this one as well. I think Eli will get sacked a bit more this week, and I think that Gore will move the ball on the Giants, but while I'll take SF to win outright, I don't want any part of the SF -2.5 spread. Pass on betting.

I can not stop laughing... Now... If only tommorrow we can see a Patriots fan doing the exact same thing....

Yes! Yes! Find one!

Without trying to sound like a douchebag, I think that one of the most special parts of the Patriots-Colts rivalry is the fans. Colts fans tend to be very informed and attentive. While Patriots fans are equally attentive, and just as good at lying to themselves.

Without trying to sound like a douchebag, I think that one of the most special parts of the Patriots-Colts rivalry is the fans. Colts fans tend to be very informed and attentive. While Patriots fans are equally attentive, and just as good at lying to themselves.

Hmm...you came across as a douchebag anyway. :P

I may just be generalizing here, but I can talk football and baseball talk with the best of them. Basketball and hockey, too. But I grew up in a rabid-for-sports household. However, most of my girlfriends can also talk the talk.

I'm one of the few chicks on the board in a FF league...and I don't suck outright at it. I'm better than Jaxom, at any rate. :P

What it comes down to is this: I take pride in my sports knowledge. Dub takes pride in my sports knowledge. I was the only "wife" of the guys who came over on football Sundays to watch football - and to talk trash, and talk football. Don't stereotype me as just a Patriots fan. I stay informed about more than just my home team.

With the standard but probably universal caveat that I wouldn't be surprised if any of these teams won tomorrow or in February:

While I think the Patriots are the most flawed team, they are also the most dangerous. Coaching and their QB has almost everything to do with that. Not what I'd hope for, but I see the Patriots winning this one.

And now time to come clean. I think the 49ers and Giants match up very well. But I think as of this moment the Giants are the most complete team of the four. I don't really see the weather or the field being a significant factor against this team as far as home field advantage. The X-factor here could be the crowd. And they fucking brought it last week.

I am confident that the 49ers can win this game outright. Just not as confident that the Giants aren't the better team. I can't make a pick here, but I'm nervous as hell. And hoping for the Giants to remain the Giants and inexplicably shit their pants at the worst time.

While I picked the Patriots to win, the local sportscasters have been pushing the kool aid hard and I am starting to think there is some hope. I always thought it would be a close game and would never root for anyone to beat the Ravens.

The two biggest "talking points" this week have been that the last time we played NE (in NE, in a playoff game) we won. So in spite of what was said here, Baltimore can win in Foxboro; secondly, and more relevant to the current teams, Baltimore has not allowed any team two touchdown passes this year. (I have not verified this, but I hope they wouldn't make stuff up).

I am confident that the 49ers can win this game outright. Just not as confident that the Giants aren't the better team. I can't make a pick here, but I'm nervous as hell. And hoping for the Giants to remain the Giants and inexplicably shit their pants at the worst time.

This really sums up my feelings as well. The ironic thing is... I think I would have been more content with losing to the Saints last week than losing this week or in the Super Bowl. There's something to be said for making the playoffs when no one expects you to; but now that we're this close to winning SB number 6 it would be crushing to lose now.

I expect a good game. I can't say that I expect the same from the early game. While I wouldn't be surprised to see the Ravens win, I think the Pats win it going away.

Ironically, I saw a stat that said that no team with an offense ranked lower than 25 has ever won the Super Bowl... which eliminates the 49ers. Similarly, no team with a defense ranked lower than 25 has ever won the Super Bowl... which eliminates the Pats and Giants. It leaves the Ravens as the only team historically that can win.

Wait, you can have self respect and root for Belichick? Like, at the same time? I assumed that would break 2 or 3 laws of nature.

This is so ridiculous.

People root for their laundry, regardless of what people associated witht he laundry do or have done or are perceived. Joe Paterno. Ray Lewis. Ben Roethlisberger.

The worst thing Belichick has ever done was try to find extra ammo for winning football games. Fanatics are only going to love him more for that.

This is so ridiculous.

People root for their laundry, regardless of what people associated witht he laundry do or have done or are perceived. Joe Paterno. Ray Lewis. Ben Roethlisberger.

The worst thing Belichick has ever done was try to find extra ammo for winning football games. Fanatics are only going to love him more for that.

i have to agree with you.

belichick is not really that bad a guy. he did not do anything that terrible. and it just so happens that he is a brilliant coach who seems to get the very best out of players again and again.

This is so ridiculous.

No, he is not Joe Paterno, Ray Lewis, or Ben Roethlisberger, but he is a cheat and that will (rightfully) prevent him from being considered alongside the greats like Lombardi, Walsh, etc.

Archived