The Walking Dead: Season 4 - No Comic Spoilers!

Alia of the knife

To be perfectly honest, I recognize that I likely give this show more credit than it deserves. Still, I think for the most part, the writers do a better than average job

I just wanted to address some of the stupidity that's been mention. I'll start with the easiest - magicilin. It's almost hard to criticize it because magicilin is an entertainment industry special. Writers everywhere love this stuff. It's annoying and it's stupid how in nearly every instance of illness in a fictional work across all genres, antibiotics is taken as a given as a cure all for everything. I think it's because they don't want the focus to be on the medicine, but on the story being told about the illness and efforts to overcome. Nothing would shift in their intended focus if they substituted anti-viral or a generic 'medicine' for penicilin, so there's little sense in why they keep up with the magicilin bullshit. There should be an awareness movement geared to stop the rampant and stupid use of antibiotics in books and film.

Next, cell doors not being closed. It seems stupid that they weren't closed and if Carol were there, they definitely would have been closed because it's a coldly pragmatic and rational thing to do. They needed to get some drama out of it, which is one reason the doors were left open. But I think they wrote Hershel's dialogue in a way to show why it wasn't a ridiculously stupid decision only in order to cushion the episode with drama. He brought up that Steinbeck quote, "a sad soul can kill you quicker, far quicker, than a germ." Being isolated on death row with a bunch of others who are sick with something known to kill and spread quickly is already sad, being locked in your cell on death row is even sadder. Hershel had the classic 'keep hope alive for as long as possible' mentality and wanting to help people cope and possibly die with as much dignity as possible so it makes sense that he decided to keep the doors unlocked for as long as possible. Looking at it this way, his decision, however dangerous it was, wasn't stupid because it was a calculated decision that may have helped prolong lives until the meds reached them.

Finally, the general number of dumb decisions. I find it realistic. A person is smart, people not so much. If humans were collectively intelligent, we'd be living in a utopia now. People make dumb decisions for a whole variety of reasons. It's just how we are. Absolutely, the consequences help create conflict and drama which is their job as showrunners for a dramatic tv series. But the show would be really boring and pointless and incredibly unrealistic if the characters continuously made the right decisions all of the time. No one would die, no one would get sick, no fences would fall, no villains would make it past Go. They'd just be living in their little idyllic paradise and pretty much be all robotic and the same as, if they were always making smart decisions, there would be no conflicts wrt to Carol's pragmatism and Hershel's hope and Rick's parenting, etc.

I really have nothing more to add to the conversation. I just wanted to point out I finally got my lazy ass to change my avatar. I have come to regard TWD as the show I anxiously watch to make sure Daryl doesn't die. If other things entertain me, great. Just as long as Daryl doesn't die.

I really have nothing more to add to the conversation. I just wanted to point out I finally got my lazy ass to change my avatar. I have come to regard TWD as the show I anxiously watch to make sure Daryl doesn't die. If other things entertain me, great. Just as long as Daryl doesn't die.

True. This is Daryl's show and the rest is white noise. I can't wait to see how he's going to react to Carol's banishment.

Also, I am still watching. I thought the moments with Hershel were great, I just despise how stupid characters STILL act. Drama and tension and action do not always have to evolve out of moronic acts. CLOSE THE DOORS. Ugh. I liked the moment when Maggie had to make a choice with shooting the zombie and saving her dad and possibly ruining the bag that would save Glen. There should be more moments of difficult choices - some that work out (like this one did) and others that don't and the characters face repercussions from it.

Also, god I could give two shits if Rick died. Really, he's become one of the most uninteresting leads ever. And was Tyreese this much of a wackjob in the books, cause I had heard everyone was looking forward to him and he's just annoying as heck.

Yep.

I love your avatar. I've been a Norman fan since Boondock Saints. :drool:

Next, cell doors not being closed. It seems stupid that they weren't closed and if Carol were there, they definitely would have been closed because it's a coldly pragmatic and rational thing to do. They needed to get some drama out of it, which is one reason the doors were left open. But I think they wrote Hershel's dialogue in a way to show why it wasn't a ridiculously stupid decision only in order to cushion the episode with drama. He brought up that Steinbeck quote, "a sad soul can kill you quicker, far quicker, than a germ." Being isolated on death row with a bunch of others who are sick with something known to kill and spread quickly is already sad, being locked in your cell on death row is even sadder. Hershel had the classic 'keep hope alive for as long as possible' mentality and wanting to help people cope and possibly die with as much dignity as possible so it makes sense that he decided to keep the doors unlocked for as long as possible. Looking at it this way, his decision, however dangerous it was, wasn't stupid because it was a calculated decision that may have helped prolong lives until the meds reached them.

Not trying to fight or anything but how would this be the case. She wouldn't be in the sick ward to make sure the doors are closed,was she showing some symptoms? Do you think she would insist on it until Hershel says yes? Did anyone outside the sick ward even know H isn't closing the door properly?

Next, cell doors not being closed. It seems stupid that they weren't closed and if Carol were there, they definitely would have been closed because it's a coldly pragmatic and rational thing to do.

carol? the woman that a week ago was sitting alone in the middle open space with walkers on all sides of her and not paying attention in the slightest?

i guess that passes for pragmatic on this show

To be perfectly honest, I recognize that I likely give this show more credit than it deserves. Still, I think for the most part, the writers do a better than average job

I just wanted to address some of the stupidity that's been mention. I'll start with the easiest - magicilin. It's almost hard to criticize it because magicilin is an entertainment industry special. Writers everywhere love this stuff. It's annoying and it's stupid how in nearly every instance of illness in a fictional work across all genres, antibiotics is taken as a given as a cure all for everything. I think it's because they don't want the focus to be on the medicine, but on the story being told about the illness and efforts to overcome. Nothing would shift in their intended focus if they substituted anti-viral or a generic 'medicine' for penicilin, so there's little sense in why they keep up with the magicilin bullshit. There should be an awareness movement geared to stop the rampant and stupid use of antibiotics in books and film.

Finally, the general number of dumb decisions. I find it realistic. A person is smart, people not so much. If humans were collectively intelligent, we'd be living in a utopia now. People make dumb decisions for a whole variety of reasons. It's just how we are. Absolutely, the consequences help create conflict and drama which is their job as showrunners for a dramatic tv series. But the show would be really boring and pointless and incredibly unrealistic if the characters continuously made the right decisions all of the time. No one would die, no one would get sick, no fences would fall, no villains would make it past Go. They'd just be living in their little idyllic paradise and pretty much be all robotic and the same as, if they were always making smart decisions, there would be no conflicts wrt to Carol's pragmatism and Hershel's hope and Rick's parenting, etc.

You are not welcome in my group. I only want people who aren't going to get half of the group killed because of dumb decisions.

You are not welcome in my group. I only want people who aren't going to get half of the group killed because of dumb decisions.

Dr Pepper, so misunderstood.

I just want to say that this thread and the near-constant whining provides me quality entertainment. Good job!

I thought the thread had been more positive than usual with the Carl love but I guess I'm trying to be glass half full with this particular thread.

I just want to say that this thread and the near-constant whining provides me quality entertainment. Good job!

I guess this makes you the coolest guy on the whole site or something.

Congrats.

Thanks, I've worked hard to be where I am today, as the coolest guy on the whole site or something.

You humans are so petty... and tiny tall.

The shutting the doors in the doors in the sick ward brings up a more general point about safety in the world of dead people rising. Even if there was no flu people could still die in their sleep. I wonder if there shouldn't be a policy enacted where everyone ties themselves to their bed at night, just in case.

I don't really keep up with the show all that much, but some of the "stupidity" doesn't really surprise me, actually I will say it makes a ton of sense. You have sleep deprived people, most likely suffering from some kind of poor nourishment, having an overloaded sympathetic system from all the constant stress, and who most likely have some form of Trauma (I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of the people on the show couldn't be diagnosed with something like PTSD) you are going to have stupid decisions being made; probably on a regular basis. It is the hallmark of people suffering in these conditions and we can see that happen in our own world quite frequently. It is just stupid mistakes in our world doesn't generally end in a group of zombies gnawing your face off, nor having a dramatic writing team highlighting them. (That is why I kinda buy Carl being one of the better equipped people on the show, because Children, in someways, are more adaptable than adults and he is adjusting to the level of danger as being "normal" whereas the adults are taking a lot longer.)

The shutting the doors in the doors in the sick ward brings up a more general point about safety in the world of dead people rising. Even if there was no flu people could still die in their sleep. I wonder if there shouldn't be a policy enacted where everyone ties themselves to their bed at night, just in case.

The Zombie test, we handcuff you to the bed by one hand and loop the key for the cuffs around the other wrist. You can get up in the morning, good! You can't....burn it, burn it with fire!

Archived