Marvel Netflix - Daredevil, Iron Fist etc.

red snow

Episode 2:

Old Boy was running through my mind throughout that entire fight scene. I love how Matt was constantly on the verge collapsing from pain/exhaustion during the whole fight. What a great piece of work that was. That was all one take wasn't it? I don't recall the camera ever cutting away but that doesn't mean much.

I watched the first three episodes today as I had the day off from work. I errr accidentally watched the second episode first. The way that Netflix had the episodes laid out (and the fact that none of the episodes are numbered), I didn't pay attention and thought the first listed video was a trailer or teaser or something so I ended up watching episode 2 first. My first thought was "Wow, they're really just tossing us right into the middle of things aren't they?" :lol:

Pretty good so far. I'm not a comic book reader so I have no idea how closely it's following things, but I like how it's tying into the greater Marvel universe while still being it's own thing. The fight scenes are very good and the acting's good so far so I'm pretty impressed by something that I had absolutely no expectations on.

I'm going to try to not binge this all over the weekend, but I'm a weak, weak man so that probably won't happen.

Episode 2

While it didn't cut away, it did pan around to the wall a couple of time where they easily would cut the scenes.

You must have one whacky Netflix user interface. The episodes are all numbered and ordered on my Sony blu ray player's UI and on my Windows tablet app.

All I know about Daredevil is from his interactions and overlap of Spiderman villains. I do like not knowing as much about the character; that way I'm not upset about every little detail they get wrong change :lol:

I called it after episode seven. If I didn't stop now, I think I would have been up all night finishing it.... I still need to finish rewatching GoT before Sunday, and I need to watch the season finales for Fortitude and 12 Monkeys.

Ep. 2 was pretty good

Looks like they're setting up a love triangle, which is disappointing, but not unexpected. I'm also surprised to see the Night Nurse so soon. And that fight in the end was great, specially because it was clear that Matt was barely standing.

Hopefully that happens one day. However something tells me The Disney Overlords won't be happy with a gun-trotting mass murderer sharing space with Iron Man and Co.

Disney also produced the likes of Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill under Miramax. As long as it doesn't actually have the Disney logo in it, they don't care.

Episode 2

While it didn't cut away, it did pan around to the wall a couple of time where they easily would cut the scenes.

If that's what they did then it's still pretty impressive because it looked seamless.

You must have one whacky Netflix user interface. The episodes are all numbered and ordered on my Sony blu ray player's UI and on my Windows tablet app.

All I know about Daredevil is from his interactions and overlap of Spiderman villains. I do like not knowing as much about the character; that way I'm not upset about every little detail they get wrong change :lol:

I'm watching it on my PC and there are no episode numbers listed. Still wouldn't have been a problem if I had just paid a little more attention.

I'm about halfway through the season, and I have to say I'm pretty blown away by how good this is. The entire cast is great, especially D'Onofrio as the Kingpin. I really like the guy playing Foggy too.

This show might even give Banshee a run for its money for having the best fights on tv.

Episode 2

The rescue of the kid from the Russians was one of the best things I've seen on tv in a while. I definitely agree with those that mentioned it had an Oldboy feel to it. Very badass scene!

Well, I decided to get some sleep after all and finish over breakfast.

Overall I think it's pretty good, though maybe not quite as meaty as the producers think it is: I felt it struggled to convince me that this story needed all 13 episodes to be told, especially when the show occasionally indulges in telling instead of showing (budget limitations?), but the cast is great and everybody we meet has a part to play, nobody is there just to act as comic relief or to make up the numbers, so that's not a big mark against it. And of course it gives us more than enough time with D'Onofrio's Kingpin for him to leisurely saunter into the top spot of MCU villains so far. That shouldn't be read as faint praise, even if Loki is his only competitor.

Spoilers for all episodes, particularly the finale

In some ways it's a very different take on the vigilante/superhero concept than what the big blockbuster movies or even a show like Arrow have presented over the past few years, as Matt often uses his vigilantism more as a supplement to the investigations he, Foggy and Karen engage in with their law practice rather than as the sole way in which he tries to fix the world around him, even if he struggles with his violent impulses throughout.

As such, it's fitting that Fisk isn't brought down in a massive action set piece (though who knows what would have happened if they had had a bigger budget), but by getting enough information on Fisk's empire to take to authorities he hasn't been able to subvert yet. The ultimate showdown between him and Matt, and Matt's final step in adopting the titular role (come to think of it, this is one of the longer origin stories), plays out as a coda. All Matt has to do when he corners the fugitive Fisk in that random alley is to keep him there until the cops show up, the only thing at stake being the Kingpin's freedom to escape to some non-extradition country.

Of course there's the hint of the much crazier, comicbooky side of the setting here and there, particularly in Stick, and I'm guessing that the ultimate teamup in Defenders will be much more about that than the relatively grounded mob stories in this series. I think it'll be interesting to see that kind of story through the lense provided by Daredevil.

Finished! Saw some medium reviews from critics so was not expecting to be totally blown away by this. I'll have to put it up there with Spartacus and Banshee as a show some people might see as pulp entertainment but I'd recommend unreservedly. Definitely my favorite Netflix show so far.

Spoilers for everything:

D'onofrio was amazing, even among a cast that I thought had no real weak spots. One of the most well-realized comic book villains I've seen, on TV or film. I can't imagine how they will top him, although I think he is Daredevil's main antagonist and he isn't dead, so he'll be back. I thought most of the villains were good; Nobu didn't get much personality but Leland (who I always think of as the warden from Shawshank Redemption) is great at playing a slimy bastard, and I liked Madame Gao a lot - hopefully she'll be back. The lady who played Vanessa did a decent job with what she was given but her character could have been developed more. I did think the relationship between her and Kingpin was very well done and believable.

I liked the protagonists a lot too; Murdock and Nelson's friendship felt real and I was glad they didn't go into some stupid love triangle. Foggy did a good job balancing comic relief with real emotion. I did think Ben's character was a bit of a Mary Sue, but hey, they killed him off, which I always feel should happen to more of these absolutely pure-hearted types in comic-book universes. I was going to put Karen into the Mary Sue category as well, but then she shot Wesley, which I did not see coming and thoroughly enjoyed.

Random thoughts:

Great guest spots - Stick in particular was awesome, and I was shocked when I realized that Domenic Lombardozzi was playing Kingpin's dad - I could barely stand that guy on The Wire, and he also managed to somehow be the worst actor in every episode of Entourage he was in. He did well here though.

I thought there were a lot of cool homages to various things - American Psycho (the fire extinguisher on the stairs), Pulp Fiction (both with Murdock's Dad throwing the fight and Kingpin's Samaritan story at the end, although it seems he isn't trying too hard to be the shepherd), and Zatoichi (this may just be inherent in the character of Stick) are the ones I remember off the top of my head, though there were definitely more.

Is Madame Gao an alien? The line about her home being much farther away than China seemed to imply this.

Crusher Creel! This is the same guy from Agents of SHIELD, right? Does he not age?

Watched the first 6 eps last night, will probably finish today. Definitely top notch superhero action.

D'onofrio makes about as good a Kingpin as i guess they could do without a lot of expensive cgi. He should really be unnaturally huge, but the acting/characterization is good.

Episode 2

The rescue of the kid from the Russians was one of the best things I've seen on tv in a while. I definitely agree with those that mentioned it had an Oldboy feel to it. Very badass scene!

I was actually laughing at that scene.

Pro tip:

If you a blind, unarmed, masked vigilante, sneaking into a building late at night to kick the collective asses of a bunch russian mafia thugs, kill the power first.

Finished! Saw some medium reviews from critics so was not expecting to be totally blown away by this. I'll have to put it up there with Spartacus and Banshee as a show some people might see as pulp entertainment but I'd recommend unreservedly. Definitely my favorite Netflix show so far.

Spoilers for everything:

D'onofrio was amazing, even among a cast that I thought had no real weak spots. One of the most well-realized comic book villains I've seen, on TV or film. I can't imagine how they will top him, although I think he is Daredevil's main antagonist and he isn't dead, so he'll be back. I thought most of the villains were good; Nobu didn't get much personality but Leland (who I always think of as the warden from Shawshank Redemption) is great at playing a slimy bastard, and I liked Madame Gao a lot - hopefully she'll be back. The lady who played Vanessa did a decent job with what she was given but her character could have been developed more. I did think the relationship between her and Kingpin was very well done and believable.

I liked the protagonists a lot too; Murdock and Nelson's friendship felt real and I was glad they didn't go into some stupid love triangle. Foggy did a good job balancing comic relief with real emotion. I did think Ben's character was a bit of a Mary Sue, but hey, they killed him off, which I always feel should happen to more of these absolutely pure-hearted types in comic-book universes. I was going to put Karen into the Mary Sue category as well, but then she shot Wesley, which I did not see coming and thoroughly enjoyed.

Random thoughts:

Great guest spots - Stick in particular was awesome, and I was shocked when I realized that Domenic Lombardozzi was playing Kingpin's dad - I could barely stand that guy on The Wire, and he also managed to somehow be the worst actor in every episode of Entourage he was in. He did well here though.

I thought there were a lot of cool homages to various things - American Psycho (the fire extinguisher on the stairs), Pulp Fiction (both with Murdock's Dad throwing the fight and Kingpin's Samaritan story at the end, although it seems he isn't trying too hard to be the shepherd), and Zatoichi (this may just be inherent in the character of Stick) are the ones I remember off the top of my head, though there were definitely more.

Is Madame Gao an alien? The line about her home being much farther away than China seemed to imply this.

Crusher Creel! This is the same guy from Agents of SHIELD, right? Does he not age?

I was thinking Gao and the little "Black Sky" kid from earlier might have been Inhumans? I don't think there's any continuity issue with Creel's age, he just would have been a young man when he got knocked out. Maybe a little too young, but you could always explain it away by saying his powers helped him stay young looking somehow.

I felt it struggled to convince me that this story needed all 13 episodes to be told

I felt the same way, but figured that might have something to do with the fact that we watched it in one or two large bursts like a really long movie.

Holy shit the first episode was so fucking bad I'm afraid to continue this show. I have to wonder if some of you are watching this with Rose tinted glasses on.

Uh, no. Went into it with no expectations whatsoever. Had fun watching it and found it compelling enough that I wanted to watch more.

Kind of hard to have 'rose-tinted glasses' on when one has absolutely no expectations to start with.

Holy shit the first episode was so fucking bad I'm afraid to continue this show. I have to wonder if some of you are watching this with Rose tinted glasses on.

I'll continue watching, but I sorta agree with this. I didn't find it as awful as Relic seems to have, but it was very heavy handed. Also, no Vincent D'Onofrio in the first episode.

Episode 5, but just general musings on his abilities:

I can't really understand why they go as far as they do with his other senses. It's a superhuman level of awareness with no explanation, but moreover, no real reason. Why throw in an absurd ability like smelling cologne through multiple floors when all he needed to do was confirm believable facts, that he was there, he was knocking on doors etc? I'm happy to give plenty of creative license to his senses being strong but hearing bone splinters, watches from down the street? There must come a point when there just aren't any molecules to be smelt, no sound wave that hasn't been drowned out?

But it's awesome of course.

Uh, no. Went into it with no expectations whatsoever. Had fun watching it and found it compelling enough that I wanted to watch more.

Kind of hard to have 'rose-tinted glasses' on when one has absolutely no expectations to start with.

Relax. Was meant to be a bit of a joke, playing on Murdock's glasses. Anyway, some people had big expectations based on the trailers (myself included). You probably shouldn't take anything anyone says here personally, or assume that a blanket statement refers specifically to you:)

As for the show, I watched the episode after a pretty big night out, half drunk, and was just so bored. It was very heavy with dialogue, which would be OK if that dialogue was good. But it wasn't. It was heavy-handed, stilted, and vorderline amateurish. I'll watch another episode and hope it gets better.

Episode 7:

Did he get his powers from the chemicals that spilled on him? That's what I thought at first. But then you have Stick who was born blind and seems to have the same abilities.

Archived