Marvel Cinematic Universe: General Discussion

protar

Curses, one of my posts didn't post (as far as I can see) but yeah, Garfield is not to blame for the spidey films sucking at all. I would use Miles Morales though as Marvel really needs the clean break (and diversity) so resting Parker for a few phases would be the best plan. If they stuck with Garfield, I'd only have him in Avengers so that again the clean break occurs. I don't want to sit through a retelling of his adventures,

I'm sure I've said this but Sony are not going to give Marvel Spider-man back until he is utterly toxic. Same goes for the X-men with Fox, I do think Marvel/Sony would let spidey be in the Avengers if, for example, MArvel were allowed to use Miles Morales (or any of the other spidey-based characters). Otherwise there is no reason for MArvel to promote a property they don't own - especially when the success of said property means they'll never get the character back.

I think the only way Sony would let Marvel use Spider-Man is if they use their actor (and rightly so business wise), so that they get the benefit of cross promotion. They might have to accept (a heavy amount of) input in their solo movie productions from Marvel execs as a condition, but that would probably be a good thing. Unless Marvel were to pay a shit-ton of money for the Morales Spider-Man... but I don't see Marvel wanting to pay for anything that they think they can eventually get for a cut rate if the SM movies keep sucking.

I think it would be kind of cool if Marvel worked out a deal and never told us about it. Then we start to see ads of Spiderman and Iron Man at a press conference, about to unmask. Andrew Garfield when asks just says you'll have to wait and see. Then we all go expecting PP but it's someone like Donald Glover as MM instead?

Given the already wide swath of heroes available and the interesting ones we've never seen before being introduced over the next few years, I don't feel like I really need the MCU's Spiderman any time soon.

Given the already wide swath of heroes available and the interesting ones we've never seen before being introduced over the next few years, I don't feel like I really need the MCU's Spiderman any time soon.

Yeah, I'm kinda amazed people really care about having Spiderman in the MCU. I think he would add very little given Stark is MCU's quip guy.

Yeah, I'm kinda amazed people really care about having Spiderman in the MCU. I think he would add very little given Stark is MCU's quip guy.

Yeah, I don't need another Spiderman movie for a LONG time and Spiderman imo is only really interesting as a solo act, trying to balance a normal schlub life with his side-act. Spiderman as part of the Avengers is just, as you say, Stark 2.0 but less interesting.

Yeah, I don't need another Spiderman movie for a LONG time and Spiderman imo is only really interesting as a solo act, trying to balance a normal schlub life with his side-act. Spiderman as part of the Avengers is just, as you say, Stark 2.0 but less interesting.

Agreed, but I'd love it if he was part of the Netflix world. He was always a bridge between the ground level New York heroes and the more global/universal ones.

I'm with you two, and that's why Toby Maguire was my favorite spidey. He left a lot to be desired as Spider Man, but he was fantastic as Peter Parker.

I like Garfield's Peter Parker. He feels less like a 50s caricature of a nerd and more like a modern kid.

I like Garfield's Peter Parker. He feels less like a 50s caricature of a nerd and more like a modern kid.

Really? I thought he was just fucking annoying. Then again, during that Amazing Spider Man movie, I was slipping into a solipsistic coma. And I never even watched the obviously shit sequel.

Really? I thought he was just fucking annoying. Then again, during that Amazing Spider Man movie, I was slipping into a solipsistic coma. And I never even watched the obviously shit sequel.

Exactly.

He's a little shit. He's playing a 100% authentic teenager.

MacGuire's Peter Parker is like some weird caricature of a teenager written by a guy who grew up before colour television. That is in fact the point of Raimi's campy style.

Well, he's not a billionaire and has issues besides "what do I do with all this money/which model do I sleep with" (although weirdly in the comics Spidey has had those problems at some points). Basically he's a lot more easy to identify with.

Agreed, but I'd love it if he was part of the Netflix world. He was always a bridge between the ground level New York heroes and the more global/universal ones.

Main issue is that you can't do a good Spidey without strong SFX which means you can't do a TV show with him. I don't want budget spidey where 95% of the episode is him not being spider-man. I'm still concerned this may be an issue with Daredevil but it's amplified far more with Spidey.

Otherwise, I agree that Spidey works best as a street level hero - not one flying into space to fight Thanos.

RDJ won't be part of the franchise forever. I think Phase 4 would be the perfect time to introduce Spiderman as a new headliner, as the older Avengers are either dead or moved into retired mentor roles. Marvel getting the rights to Miles Morales so they could stay separate from the Sony Verse is probably the best move imo.

Spiderman always looks out of place when I see him with the Avengers. It's like someone's annoying kid brother hanging out with the older kids (and usually the only one wearing a mask).

He works better solo, or with one or two other heroes on the street level drama. Not intergalactic.

IMHO of course. ;)

Is Thanos going to be the Big Bad of the MCU?

Also, I watched the Winter Soldier last night, and that was really good. Robert Redford's character is the kind of person I can imagine existing, and making the same decisions (obviously not with the same tech), which was a bit scary. Propaganda/10.

I think Winter Soldier would've been better and made a much more impactful statement if they'd have just dropped the Hydra crap.

That said, it's still one of the better MCU movies.

:agree: Definitely. I was really disappointed that they turned out to be the villain. If they'd kept it as an intelligence agency going too far it might have been in my top 3 MCU movies.

I think Winter Soldier would've been better and made a much more impactful statement if they'd have just dropped the Hydra crap.

Yeah, I think I preferred the movie when I thought it was going to be about a part of SHIELD doing what they thought was necessary to keep the world safe then came the revelation came mid way through and I realised that might be a bit too grey in morality for a summer blockbuster so back to genocidal maniacs it was then

Archived