Multiple 'Game of Thrones' Movies Eyed by George R.R. Martin

Veltigar

Unless my memory is playing tricks, wasn't George the one who originally said he could never envision his ASOIAF books being turned into movies? That he always saw them as a TV series, if adapted for the screen at all? His sudden apparent enthusiasm for a big movie smacks to me of desperation and an attempt to hold back the incoming tide of the TV show which is going to swamp him, rather than any realistic suggestion.

HBO isn't going to let the movie rights go, or do a stand-alone separate ending for this massive series in which they have invested so much money. And anyway, why would they need to do a big movie for ADOS? If they do ten episodes per season, each one around 55 minutes long, then that is the time equivalent of three full length movies! I could easily see them doing a 2 hour finale, with a huge special effects / CGI budget, but I couldn't see a totally separate movie. I think we'll probably get 8 seasons in total, with the possibility of a 'grand finale' in a 2 hour+ episode 810.

Look we have not even seen the second last book, let alone the last one. How the hell do we know it could not have the final war broken off as a separate movie project?

Most of the storylines will have converged by then, so the multiple POV and storyline argument doesn't hold. The war for dawn part of the story will have very high special effects needs and would work well on a big screen. I don't think understanding it would necessarily involve having followed the whole story up to that point either. The various heroes and antagonists will be fewer and clearer by then.

I am not saying it "should" happen, just saying that as far as I am concerned it could work.

I don't think this will happen, but surely the difference between this and a season is obvious: budget. If the big culmination of Dragons vs Others with some other major kicking off in Kings Landing could all happen in a movie, it'd look 10 times better than an HBO budget. They could maybe get away with a movie between the last two seasons, and fudge things so that you could feasibly follow the series if you hadn't seen the movie (ala X Files). But as I say, I don't think this'll happen.

Look we have not even seen the second last book, let alone the last one.

Which is the most telling argument of all! :)

Until he produces TWOW, HBO will be proceeding on the basis of what he has told D&D about the ending of the series. And they certainly wouldn't contemplate any sort of movie without guaranteed publication of both TWOW and ADOS.

Similar article here: http://www.totalfilm.com/news/george-r-r-martin-says-a-game-of-thrones-movie-has-been-discussed

Some interesting qoutes about the TV Show not catching up to the book:

“I’m hopeful that I cannot let them catch up with me. The season that’s about to debut covers the second half of the third book. The third book was so long that it had to be split into two. But there are two more books beyond that, A Feast For Crows and A Dance With Dragons."

A Dance With Dragons is itself a book that’s as big as A Storm Of Swords. So there’s potentially three more seasons there, between Feast and Dance, if they split into two the way they did [with Storms]. Now, Feast and Dance take place simultaneously, so you can’t do Feast and then Dance the way I did."

“You can combine them and do it chronologically. And it’s my hope that they’ll do it that way and then, long before they catch up with me, I’ll have published The Winds Of Winter, which’ll give me another couple years. It might be tight on the last book, A Dream Of Spring, as they juggernaut forward.”

^ It's almost pitiful how wrong George was. All his dreams of three seasons for Feast and Dance are nothing but dust now. It's a sad truth the show will conclude before the books, but he only has himself to blame for this situation.

Terrible idea.

Hopefully just pure speculation from GRRM and not something David and Dan are actually seriously considering. Once you commit to a medium you should begin and end the story on that medium, whether or not it's a story that's being adapted from a different medium.

Having 90% of it on one medium and 10% on another just confuses everything.

This movie idea is only there because it would give George more writing time. As much as I would love him to have more of that time, for the TV series it would be horrible: the show will have no ending, the movie will have no beginning. I don't give it much of a chance, why would HBO want it this way for instance? So I'm afraid in 3 years from now we are looking at the debut of the final season about to happen with George hopefully having finished Winds of Winter by then but still years away from finishing the final book. I hate that I won't be able to read about the ending first, but that's what now seems pretty much inevitable.

No way is it happening, and for the simple reason that the cast is contracted for a TV series, not a movie. Which means there'd be the same problem with them demanding significant pay raises that there is with the show getting an 8th season. Additionally, a movie would likely have a significantly different shooting schedule (only one director after all), and quite a lot of the cast have careers outside of the show and wouldn't be able to fit something different.

This is on top of the fact that there's no way HBO would let its current flagship show not end on its channel.

D&E movies, either theatrical or made-for-TV, are entirely possible, but almost certainly won't be happening until the series is over (and if they happen during, will have no impact on production of Game of Thrones; it'd be an entirely different cast, crew, and producers).

For the reasons stated above a movie logistically is very unlikely to happen And even if it could, a movie is only going to end up condensing the plot more. Even if a movie covers only say, half of ADOS rather than the whole book, that's still half a book in 2 hours rather than half a book in 5 hours as it would be in the show. So what, is he planning on having the last battle adapted as it's own whole movie? A fairly ridiculous notion.

I'm baffled and concerned by the absurd degree of miscommunication that appears to be going on here.

Eveyone seems really angry that the TV show may conclude before the books.

Not me. I'll read the books whenever they come out, and meanwhile enjoy the TV show and finally find out how the story ends. I've already been waiting 14 years.

For the reasons stated above a movie logistically is very unlikely to happen And even if it could, a movie is only going to end up condensing the plot more. Even if a movie covers only say, half of ADOS rather than the whole book, that's still half a book in 2 hours rather than half a book in 5 hours as it would be in the show. So what, is he planning on having the last battle adapted as it's own whole movie? A fairly ridiculous notion.

I'm baffled and concerned by the absurd degree of miscommunication that appears to be going on here.

I don't think its miscommunication, I think its GRRM ignoring what he's being told.

I think we see these reports so that they can gauge interest in the idea. So many movies are remakes and reboots because the audience is there already and the movie "should" make money. By teasing the idea of a few movies to finish the series they can gauge fan reaction to the idea.

I love the idea of a big budget finale, but I hate the idea of sacrificing so much story to do it. Movies always sacrifice story and details for time. I love details and story more than fire and explosions and animals on screen. (But, Blackwater was awesome)

Does this not come down to what options HBO owns?

I have always had the impression when the 'visual drama' option is bought, thats it for the author.

Until the option is bought by someone else, sometimes the author, this has happened.

No reason HBO (we really talking Time Warner here) could not opt for a big screen film.

We shall see.

I can see any of the prequels being made into movies, RR, D&E, Aegon's conquest or even the first Blackfyre war. but for the show? Nah, sorry, GRRM is as delussional as Cersei, better just admit the show will pass him and continue working on the books, they're awesome and the pace from the show should not distrct him.

If done right, Robert's rebellion can be made into 2 or even 3 really good movies, I mean if they could do it with the Hobbit, why not?

Eveyone seems really angry that the TV show may conclude before the books.

ETA: not everyone, only a small portion of the fandom, just a VERY vocal one :p

If I had to choose something ASoIaF related to watch at the cinema, it would be the Dance of Dragons. The main series I would not want made into a movie, even just as an ending; I cant even give a reason why, i just dont feel it would be the riggt way to go about it. DoD does seem the type of thing that would translate well on screen though

Archived