Football ninety-nein: King Louis tosses his toys

I do hope us supposedly getting Schweinsteiger doesn't mean we give up on Schneiderlin. I don't think Schweini is quite solid defensively enough to be comfortable with him and Herrera being the only ones responsible for it in midfield. A trio of Schweini, Schneidi and Herrera would be solid as hell, although it would leave an awful lot of attacking onus on just three players if we went without a real number 10.

If LvG goes to his preferred 4-3-3 formation then a Hererra-Schneiderlin-Schweinsteiger midfield combination would be pretty damn good. Anyway, I hope that this deal does not mean an end to our interest in Schneiderlin. I'd love to see him at the club. And, as you say, Schweini's age makes him a short term solution.

Don't they still have Carrick and Blind though? Will they sell one of them to make room for Schneiderlin?

Blind will always be useful for his versatility. If Schneidi comes in then Carrick is going to be minimised, but his career is winding down anyway.

Delph has rejected a City move, apparently. Good for him. Wonder who City will go for next for the quota player/Fernando replacement- Colback bid incoming?

Both Cabaye and Bastian will be in contention for this year's best looking 11.

I dispute that Bastian is objectively good looking. Ana Ivanovic clearly thinks so: I don't.

ETA: as kairparavel said! If he's on a few boarders' list (or exceptions list), fair enough, though...

Schneiderlin isn't in Southamptons squad for the next two friendlies. He's clearly going somewhere.

Was that ever in doubt. Sadly I think United are gonna snatch him up as well.

Seems Delph to City wasn't real, he's announced he's staying at Villa.

I dispute that Bastian is objectively good looking. Ana Ivanovic clearly thinks so: I don't.

ETA: as kairparavel said! If he's on a few boarders' list (or exceptions list), fair enough, though...

I'm disappointed in you both Edit : ( okay, maybe you're right)

Was that ever in doubt. Sadly I think United are gonna snatch him up as well.

Seems Delph to City wasn't real, he's announced he's staying at Villa.

Not really but with the buy of Schweini and Arsenal not showing interest, hard to see where he'd go to get CL play. It's still likely United but if not, where does he go?

Milner, Clyne and Firminho are pretty similar as signings to Schweini, Darmain and Depay, especially with both clubs also seeking a top striker too. 'Pool and Utd had a pretty similar shopping list this summer.

Schweini obviously brings a lot of leadership to a team that has shed a lot of leaders in just two years, and helps to ease out Carrick. But I'm still surprised at the sheer spending by Utd. Even if the transfer fee isn't huge they are so willing to load up on big salaries. I guess it depends on whether they view RVP as an overall success.

Having just watched Gerrard's decline, I wonder how long Schweini has left himself, although he might be closer to Milner than Gerrard.

City should be disappointed to miss out on Delph. I think for 8m he would have helped their homegrown quota while upgrading on Fernando and provided a decent option at CM as Yaya ages or leaves, and improved their bargaining position with Liverpool over Sterling. But probably not a guaranteed starter CM to lead this team and there's the problem for the player.

Archived