Jessica Jones (Netflix) (non-spoiler thread)

The Wolves

The incident is the giant alien invasion battle in NYC in the avengers movie. It was also referenced more heavily in Daredevil. It is not necessary to know specifics other than the public witnessed aliens and super powered Earthlings engage in a battle with lots of collateral damage. The idea of "gifted" individuals is very much on people's minds, that is why that crazy couple tried to assassinate Jessica, people are grappling with the notions of insanely powerful being amongst them, some with fear, others with denial.

The references also serve to reinforce the idea that the Netflix shows and Marvel movies occur in the same world, though I don't think there will be more significant linkage than that, even if they could get one of their big stars to cameo in a show, the Netflix series are already so much darker tonally that it would be jarring.

The references also serve to reinforce the idea that the Netflix shows and Marvel movies occur in the same world, though I don't think there will be more significant linkage than that, even if they could get one of their big stars to cameo in a show, the Netflix series are already so much darker tonally that it would be jarring.

You could say the same thing about the tones of various comics, yet they all occur in the same universe as well.

Finished Episode 9... I love it... Perhaps it misses some of the beauty Daredevil had (that beautiful fighting scene in episode 2), but the tone is amazing. Kudos to Ritter... I didn't know she could make this believable, but she is amazing... Regular applaud to must-have British guy in the series.

I very much enjoyed it, but it feels a wee bit overpraised by critics given its flaws; the novelty of a well-written female anti-hero, which seems the primary reason it's being hailed in some corners as the best thing Marvel has done on the screen (small or big) seems to have led to glossing over problems such as a somewhat staid direction and cinematography, telegraphed storylines (Hogarth), and some pretty pointless story inclusions (Robyn and Ruben, as others have noted, could have been done with pretty much entirely). I think Daredevil's first half was definitely stronger, in comparison, and certainly the more dynamic direction that went with the fight choreography of the show is largely more memorable. (At the same time, I like the sense that it gives that Jones seems to have fairly basic fighting ability, and largely gets by on being super-strong and tough.)

Over-praise aside, lots of good suff here, with some smart choices in how to translate Kilgrave/the Purple Man to the screen (step one: don't make him purple) and how to deal with the Jones-Cage relationship. I'm a big fan of the Bendis-Gaydos ALIAS, and I think this was pretty worthy.

I very much enjoyed it, but it feels a wee bit overpraised by critics given its flaws; the novelty of a well-written female anti-hero, which seems the primary reason it's being hailed in some corners as the best thing Marvel has done on the screen (small or big) seems to have led to glossing over problems such as a somewhat staid direction and cinematography, telegraphed storylines (Hogarth), and some pretty pointless story inclusions (Robyn and Ruben, as others have noted, could have been done with pretty much entirely). I think Daredevil's first half was definitely stronger, in comparison, and certainly the more dynamic direction that went with the fight choreography of the show is largely more memorable. (At the same time, I like the sense that it gives that Jones seems to have fairly basic fighting ability, and largely gets by on being super-strong and tough.)

Over-praise aside, lots of good suff here, with some smart choices in how to translate Kilgrave/the Purple Man to the screen (step one: don't make him purple) and how to deal with the Jones-Cage relationship. I'm a big fan of the Bendis-Gaydos ALIAS, and I think this was pretty worthy.

To be fair though, almost all Marvel properties tend to be overpraised initially. This even happens in the movies ; from IM 3 being given a pass for the steaming pile of turd it was to GotG being hailed as some sort of cinematic masterpiece. While I cannot dent that JJ is being overpraised  A LOT , I'd like to point out that even under more scrutiny ( Hogarth, Simpson, and Robyn were my complains too in the spoiler thread, along with many others ) JJ still holds up fairly well, and is certainly among the best products of the MCU. Yes, the story could have been tighter, some plot lines existed without any purpose ( and so did many characters ) but I would choose this over IM 2 and 3 and the Thor movies anyday. It's well acted, the direction is good, and certain sequences that are meant to have impact do have intended impact (the precient )

I liked DD more than JJ too, but JJ is better than almost half the MCU.

Having just finished JJ today I will say that my initial reaction is that DD was, overall, a stronger, more consistent show. However, JJ had a much better finale/resolution. The show keeps building and building in tension until the very end whereas, to me, DD kinda peters out and the last two episodes fail to live up to what came before. There are also some time when the fight scenes in DD seem to go on far longer than they needed to (and no, I'm not talking about that glorious fight in episode 2) whereas, with JJ, they're infrequent enough that when they do show up, they're pretty perfectly paced.

Overall, I really liked it. JJ probably is near the top in quality for the Marvel-verse. My biggest complaint with the show was the Robyn/Ruben story, if only because Robyn was a horribly annoying character. Geez, talk about nails on chalkboard. Get rid of that and while the show still wouldn't be perfect, I wouldn't feel the need to complain about much of anything.

6 episodes in, and I'm not really sure how I feel about it. The show has managed to keep my attention, even though it's been slow, and large chunks of it have been pointless. Either that's a failure in writing or a symptom of trying to stretch the story to fill the 13 episode order. I'm guessing the latter, considering DD had the same problem. It also suffers aesthetically in comparison to DD. I get that it's trying specifically to look and feel different, and I'm all for that, but I don't think they've really nailed the look they were going for. Still though, the show is interesting, and I think they've managed to make JJ both more intriguing and more believable than DD. The praise this show's been getting is way over the top, and maybe that's why I feel a bit frustrated with it. This isn't the best show on television, or even the best new show this year, but it's still a good show, and definitely worth watching.

ETA: This is the first post I've made since the big board revamp and I just noticed that I'm listed as "Gender: Male". How do I change that to Androgynous Alien Sex God?

I very much enjoyed it, but it feels a wee bit overpraised by critics given its flaws; the novelty of a well-written female anti-hero, which seems the primary reason it's being hailed in some corners as the best thing Marvel has done on the screen (small or big) seems to have led to glossing over problems such as a somewhat staid direction and cinematography, telegraphed storylines (Hogarth), and some pretty pointless story inclusions (Robyn and Ruben, as others have noted, could have been done with pretty much entirely).

I'm not sure that Jessica qualifies as an anti-heroine. Beneath the rough exterior she is a genuinely caring person, which is why she tries to stop Kilgrave instead of running away. She also always prioritises saving people over going after him, which he uses against her mercilessly.

I'd say that including a bunch of relationships that feature various levels of abusive behaviour was a sound one, to contrast it with the exploration of abuse through the lense of Kilgrave's supernatural abilities.

The execution isn't flawless, but I feel that in most cases, including Robyn, at least the payoff was worth it, even if there were some missteps along the path to get there.

I also don't get the slowness part. I didn't feel like it dragged at all. They even avoided quite well the Daredevil MotW kind of thing, where he just seems to be spinning his wheels and not doing anything. It also did well with not wrapping everything up so quickly like DD did. 

Yeah, the main plot line ran through smoothly and it never felt slow -- just not as tight as it could have been, and the loose areas weren't actually that interesting.

Should have put "anti-hero" in quotes in my earlier thing, since it's basically what critics are choosing to call Jones as they fangasm, but obviously she's more of a rough-around-the-edges type with a heart of gold than anything.

And I absolutely agree that it finishes more strongly than DAREDEVIL. I think the major problem with DD was the switch from Drew Goddard to Steven S. DeKnight as showrunner; Goddard's fingerprints were heavy on the first half of that season, and DeKnight's on the second half, and it was not a great comparison (nothing against DeKnight; hard job to jump into the role mid-production), IMO.

It's definitely a good show with a lot of potential, but the reception its receiving from critics leaves me a a little jaded.

I thought JJ had a lot more wheel spinning than DD, it felt stretched thin at parts and probably could have done better with a tight 10 episodes, 13 can feel just as arbitrary as the traditional network 22. The show was pretty exlusively about the conflict between Jones and Kilgrave and kept subplots to a minimum, except as a setup for next season with the Simpson, IGH thing. Focusing so intently on one story over that much time lead to them over relying on dumb luck and contrivance to keep the story from resolving, one or two less near misses would have been better. 

I'll get around to this eventually, but I have heard quite a few complaints about the pacing. Robert Jackson Bennett has the most thorough analysis of what he perceives the problems to be here.

He makes some good points but his whole framework is based on a somewhat specious comparison between literature and serialized television. Many shows (procedurals in particular) don't adhere to the structure he sets out at all, and even with long form TV each season is more like a chapter than an entire novel. Also, I'd say the central question of the season is 'can Jessica overcome the psychological damage Kilgrave inflicted on her?' I agree with him that the season would probably have been better with a few less episodes, and that some of the side characters were underwritten. Totally disagree with his take on Kilgrave.

I didn't feel like it dragged at all. I burned through it very quickly and never felt bored. I actually thought Daredevil was a lot slower and I didn't even finish it -- couldn't  hold my interest. 

I can see why some people think it's over-praised, but I for one am thrilled to finally have a female superhero within the MCU/MTVU that has her own show. Maybe that's why I'm turning a blind eye towards some of the flaws, because I'm just so happy that this finally happened, and that it was good!

:dunno:

I'm going to say that for me, JJ is ten times better than DD was. Better written, better acted, with a better supporting cast a stronger identity. That's not a slam on DD and it's not saying that JJ is perfect - both have flaws, but JJ's felt much, much less significant and I enjoyed the series a lot more. I think it's one of the best things Marvel have done.

I will also note that I will watch the hell out of the Luke Cage series. Colter was terrific.

Archived