The Dark Tower: Stringer Bell as Roland Deschain?

Mike

He will make this work because he's a great actor and he can do these sort of roles.

But it is still a very odd piece of casting. I like McConnaughey as Flagg though.

I couldn't picture it at all until I saw the costumed pics. Now I think it'll be kewl. And it's good that they are just doing films for the time being. TV shows can come later after the franchise is established in the visual medium.

2 hours ago, Werthead said:

Interesting hint from Stephen King.

Hide contents

He apparently confirms that this will be a later go-around of Roland's journey. He will have the Horn of Eld and things will go down differently. So in essence the film is both an adaptation of and sequel to the books.

That's pretty awesome.  

I'd find it interesting if they do sort of follow the books's meta ideas; instead of having Father Callahan from the book Salem's Lot, have a character from a movie ... say the Stand or It.  Then replace King with the director or somesuch.

3 hours ago, Werthead said:

Interesting hint from Stephen King.

Reveal hidden contents

He apparently confirms that this will be a later go-around of Roland's journey. He will have the Horn of Eld and things will go down differently. So in essence the film is both an adaptation of and sequel to the books.

Yes!!

Spoiler

Exactly what I was hoping would happen (assuming he's not toying with us).

16 minutes ago, Slurktan said:

That's pretty awesome.  

Reveal hidden contents

I'd find it interesting if they do sort of follow the books's meta ideas; instead of having Father Callahan from the book Salem's Lot, have a character from a movie ... say the Stand or It.  Then replace King with the director or somesuch.

Spoiler

Oh man. Now I'm so hoping that they start bringing in actors from other King-adapted movies to play their roles in this. They're so many to choose from, and they could never fit all of them, that figuring out the contracts isn't even an issue. Just bring in the actors they can and ignore the ones that are being difficult.

Not just the character actors either. If possible, bring in Anthony Hopkins from Hearts in Atlantis, or Tom Hanks from The Green Mile. Hell, give Morgan Freeman and Tim Robbins a cameo. I have no idea how The Shankshank Redemption fits into The Dark Tower mythos, there's nothing supernatural in at all as I recall, but King's said that every single one of his works is connected to it.

The possibilities are endless...

ETA: So I just spent a few minutes looking around and already found at least one connection. Andy Dufresne was in Cell 14 of Cellblock 5 in the prison. 14+5=19. Stephen King is possibly literally an insane genius.

Oooh, I really like that development and concept... sadly I think a lot will be lost on non-book readers, but the "last time around" prospect is really engaging to me ! 

• 4 weeks later...

Honestly, I think this is a good choice. Idris has the gravitas to pull Roland off and, bluntly, while it will shift the racial dynamics....do we REALLY want to preserve Susannah's whole "Southern belle who becomes racist stereotype" thing?

I'm listening to the audiobook version of "the stand" at the moment and have to say McConaughey seems absolutely perfect for Randall Flagg.

Slightly upset about the mild spoiler for the book series from Stephen King's "hint" but it's not that big a deal as it's more a thematic thing. It also means the film can be it's own thing to some extent providing something new for the readers as well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I think I might be more excited about the show than the film. Like the article suggests they can be a lot more faithful to the source material and the story should work well as 8-12 episode season. There's nothing in it that would be budget breaking except for having the horses and wild west setting. Fingers crossed the first episode at least tells us about how he became a gunslinger and  wound up on the mission.

Look forward to casting of the ka-tet.

Archived