Star Wars Episode 8 - What comes next? (Episode 7 Spoilers)

Joe Pesci

Ah, I did not catch that. Seems odd that he would even pay her then. Or perhaps she earned her freedom some how?

Could be that whoever left her with Unkar told him they'd be back for her relatively soon, and after that time passed he stopped taking care of her and made her earn her keep.

I don't know, I'm still not clear on the Jakku salvage economy. I guess portions are food, so it's at best a sort of "company store" sort of setup. Some form of indentured servitude to begin with. 

Yeah, what this movie definitely needed more of is some exposition into the amazingly interesting story about scavenger barter economies and subsistence farming on desolate planets.

Yeah, what this movie definitely needed more of is some exposition into the amazingly interesting story about scavenger barter economies and subsistence farming on desolate planets.

If only we knew how the taxation of trade routes to the outlying systems affected this economy. Then perhaps we could resolve the matter with a blockade of deadly battleships or something. Meesa no know.

If only we knew how the taxation of trade routes to the outlying systems affected this economy. Then perhaps we could resolve the matter with a blockade of deadly battleships or something. Meesa no know.

At least Jakku actually has an economy. Unlike Naboo where everyone seems to just sit around in pretty gardens next to pretty buildings looking pretty while their pretty starships fly overhead? :lol:

At least Jakku actually has an economy. Unlike Naboo where everyone seems to just sit around in pretty gardens next to pretty buildings looking pretty while their pretty starships fly overhead? :lol:

Not all of them. Some...things that are best left unremembered sit around in big bubbles underwater looking ugly all day :P 

As for Putt, again just something I read online about extra info from other sources (I think this might have been from Before the Awakening?) but apparently Rey was one of his best scavengers and so he told his cronies and the other scavengers not to interfere with her and her stuff (which would be consistent with when she rescues BB-8 actually, and he is given up with no fight). I might have liked to learn stuff like this from the film itself, but there is only so much time and I can see why it's some of the less relevant and easily cut material

Considering the rumored casting call for a leading woman who may be Finn's love interest in VIII, I'm thinking he will hook up with Lando's daughter.

Well that's incredibly depressing.

My 84 year old father and I went to see the movie and he was pleased that the romantic interest for the white heroine was a black dude. He said it was a sign of progress.

He initially thought that Finn had died in order to prevent the fruition of romance, due to the obvious romance/chemistry between Finn and Rey (because racists hate that combination more than any other).

Dad said the film was basically derivative: where it was ground breaking was the female hero and the black male romantic lead.

Not all of them. Some...things that are best left unremembered sit around in big bubbles underwater looking ugly all day :P 

As for Putt, again just something I read online about extra info from other sources (I think this might have been from Before the Awakening?) but apparently Rey was one of his best scavengers and so he told his cronies and the other scavengers not to interfere with her and her stuff (which would be consistent with when she rescues BB-8 actually, and he is given up with no fight). I might have liked to learn stuff like this from the film itself, but there is only so much time and I can see why it's some of the less relevant and easily cut material

I just realized that Palpatine's plan was more brilliant and nuanced than we ever imagined.

Prior to The Phantom Menace, Naboo was taking its water (because it didn't care about the Gungans,) and selling it to Tatooine - why would you farm moisture in a desert when you can just ship it in?. The blockade puts a stop to this, and after the blockade is lifted, the Naboo make peace with the Gungans and stop stealing their water.

This means that they are no longer selling water to Tatooine and the people of Tatooine have a desperate need for Moisture Farmers, sparking the Water Boom of 32BBY. This leads a young Cliegg Lars to take his children and found a Moisture Farm outside Mos Eisley. Of course, being a lonely farmer, he needed companionship and he bought Shmi Skywalker, freed her and married her.

Shmi, no longer safely enslaved inside Mos Espa. was kidnapped and murdered by Sand People, setting in motion a chain of events that would turn a young Anakin Skywalker to the Dark Side. 

ETA: Later, keeping Tatooine water-poor would lead to Obi-Wan Kenobi dehydrating into a shrivelled prune in a period of just 20 years, ensuring that he would be too frail to defeat Darth Vader upon the Death Star.

I just realized that Palpatine's plan was more brilliant and nuanced than we ever imagined.

Prior to The Phantom Menace, Naboo was taking its water (because it didn't care about the Gungans,) and selling it to Tatooine - why would you farm moisture in a desert when you can just ship it in?. The blockade puts a stop to this, and after the blockade is lifted, the Naboo make peace with the Gungans and stop stealing their water.

This means that they are no longer selling water to Tatooine and the people of Tatooine have a desperate need for Moisture Farmers, sparking the Water Boom of 32BBY. This leads a young Cliegg Lars to take his children and found a Moisture Farm outside Mos Eisley. Of course, being a lonely farmer, he needed companionship and he bought Shmi Skywalker, freed her and married her.

Shmi, no longer safely enslaved inside Mos Espa. was kidnapped and murdered by Sand People, setting in motion a chain of events that would turn a young Anakin Skywalker to the Dark Side. 

ETA: Later, keeping Tatooine water-poor would lead to Obi-Wan Kenobi dehydrating into a shrivelled prune in a period of just 20 years, ensuring that he would be too frail to defeat Darth Vader upon the Death Star.

Gold.

My 84 year old father and I went to see the movie and he was pleased that the romantic interest for the white heroine was a black dude. He said it was a sign of progress.

Dad said the film was basically derivative: where it was ground breaking was the female hero and the black male romantic lead.

Seems like it is not meant to be romantic though, perhaps exemplified by the chaste kiss to the forehead at the end.

In the novel, there is apparently a line about her finding Poe attractive.

You may want to withhold all of this from your 84 year old father ;)

He initially thought that Finn had died in order to prevent the fruition of romance, due to the obvious romance/chemistry between Finn and Rey (because racists hate that combination more than any other).

I haven't seen the rumor, so I can't comment on that. But I don't think its much of a sign of anything if its true. There have been blockbusters in the past, albeit not many, with white female/black male romantic pairings*; for instance, most Will Smith blockbusters. Star Wars wouldn't be breaking any new ground there, and has already shown a huge willingness to take "risks" (as defined by Hollywood) by having its three new leads be a woman and two minorities. So I'm willing to cut the writers some slack if they think that the best way to get Lando into the story (which badly needs to happen) is through his daughter, and having his daughter end up involved with one of the known main characters is certainly an easy way to get the audience to care about her.

Also, I rather suspect Rey won't end up in a romance with anyone. Not because of the Jedi nonsense about emotions (which I think will be definitely shown to be a mistake in one of these movies), but just because there isn't really room for it on the traditional hero's journey that she's on. And Finn and Poe need their own stories while she's doing that.

*I think white female/black male probably is the relationship racists hate the most, but black female/white male is even less represented in films.

with white female/black male romantic pairings*; for instance, most Will Smith blockbusters.

You say that, but how many of Will Smith's white co-leads are really romantic? Not MiB, not I, Robot. In Hitch, the one where kissing was unavoidable coz it's a rom-com, the director was reportedly prevented from casting Cameron Diaz for exactly that reason; her kissing Will Smith would have caused controversy.

There is a theory that Poe might be gay. There certainly was something there when he and Finn reunited.

I'm not sure that Disney and LucasFilm really want to this at this time, but the novel Aftermath did have one main character who was gay and a couple of minor ones.

Yes,I know it's cliched crack. Still, I claim this crack as mine.

We share the same crack.

I think she survived the massacre but no one knows (except maybe Luke). Being responsible for his sister's death could be a source for Ben's guilt and conflict. Or if he is truly following his grandfather's path, he could've had dreams of his sister dying mixed with images of Luke and assumed Luke was going to kill her. Snoke steps in and makes familiar promises that to save her he has to embrace his dark side. Massacre ensues with her being presumed dead.

That would explain Han and Leia having an affinity toward her, even if they didn't assume her to be their daughter. That emotional hole would still be there 20 years later. Just because they see a young woman who reminds them of their deceased child doesn't mean they assume her to be that child. Only in fiction do we make that assumption (obviously like I am).

Granted, Leia and Han's interchange would've included a line like "Bring back our son. We've lost too much already." But that would be tipping their hat too much for the first installment.

ETA: A point against this theory is Han would've surely said something to the effect of "It wasn't your fault" or "We forgave you a long time ago" when he was face to face with Ben. Or maybe more realistically, Han would still hate him for killing his own sister.

I can't remember now. Has there been confirmation that it was Ben who massacred the trainee Jedi and not Rey? 

I think I do favour Rey being a Solo. The connection apparently felt quite powerfully by Ben, Han and Leia just seems to point very much in that direction. 

You say that, but how many of Will Smith's white co-leads are really romantic? Not MiB, not I, Robot. In Hitch, the one where kissing was unavoidable coz it's a rom-com, the director was reportedly prevented from casting Cameron Diaz for exactly that reason; her kissing Will Smith would have caused controversy.

If we're calling Rey/Finn in TFA romantic, than I'd say MiB; I,Robot; and Bad Boys all are too.

Why do people keep thinking Poe is one of the new "Big Three"? The character was supposed to die.  He was nothing more than a Wedge retread with a few more lines and a couple scenes not in his X-Wing. By retaining him "just because", he felt like nothing more than a shoehorn. Easily the most easily dismissed new character.  And yes, I know he blew up the Starkiller, but Wedge helped get Death Star II...if Poe was not in the rest of the series, I'd be just fine with that...

I can't remember now. Has there been confirmation that it was Ben who massacred the trainee Jedi and not Rey? 

I think I do favour Rey being a Solo. The connection apparently felt quite powerfully by Ben, Han and Leia just seems to point very much in that direction. 

Oooooh... go the Darth Revan route with Rey?  Sounds interesting.

The point against that would be that Rey quite clearly has a memory of herself at five-ish years old watching the ship leave her on Jakku.  Would certainly be a point against her being old enough to turn as an apprentice and destroy all the others.

Oooooh... go the Darth Revan route with Rey?  Sounds interesting.

The point against that would be that Rey quite clearly has a memory of herself at five-ish years old watching the ship leave her on Jakku.  Would certainly be a point against her being old enough to turn as an apprentice and destroy all the others.

Oh blast; yes, you're right. That makes things awkward. I don't think we're going to see Rey as a high- jumping lightsaber-wielding Sith toddler. 

Woe. I was getting quite attached to that theory. 

Oh blast; yes, you're right. That makes things awkward. I don't think we're going to see Rey as a high- jumping lightsaber-wielding Sith toddler. 

Woe. I was getting quite attached to that theory. 

There is more evidence to that theory in the Force vision Rey has. Kylo Ren actually kills someone that is attacking her in her vision, and the next scene is her as a 7-8 year old child being left on Jakku. It very well could be possible that they were working together and he was the one who mind swiped her and left her there. 

Archived