The Best Films of the Year - The 2015 Version

The Killer Snark

Films in order for me (best to worst, saw all these this year so assuming they're 2015....)

• The Water Diviner
  • Episode VII
  • The dressmaker
  • Calvary
  • Mad Max: Fury Road
  • The Man from UNCLE
  • MI V: Rogue Nation
  • Straight out of Compton
  • The Martian
  • Focus
  • Kingsman: the secret service
  • Spectre
  • Avengers: Age of Ultron
  • Sicario
  • AntMan
  • Terminator Genisys
  • Pixels
  • Jupiter Ascending
  • Fantastic Four

I'm not quite sure why the love for Sicario. I found it pretty boring, and frankly pretty ridiculous. And although The Martian was good, I thought there were a lot better than it.

Only the last four were truly bad, but a number in the middle were more entertaining than good movies.

Kingsmen was okay, but nothing special at all. 

I just saw The Force Awakens today and it was really great on re-watch. Lots of little details I hadn't picked up on the first time. 

As for my other tops of 2015: 

Mad Max: Fury Road

Sicario

The Big Short

The Martian

Ex Machina

I don't really get criticisms about Fury Road suggesting it was lacking in "story" or "characterization". In fact, it's prime evidence of how dialogue is not the end-all-and-be-all of either of those things. Now, if I had to boil it down to a simple top 3, I'd go with Fury Road, The Big Short, and Star Wars. 

I still have to see Macbeth.

By now I consider Macbeth an almost mythical entity. You can't find it online and there is no release date announced in my country. What is this madness?

Kingsmen was okay, but nothing special at all. 

Yeah, I agree. I was a bit more positive at first, but nothing about it really captured my imagination.

I

• Locke
  • Calvary

Locke and Calvary are from 2014 :)

• Fantastic Four

The proper title is Fant4stic :P 

This is my list from best to worst, more or less. I'm sure I forgot some of the crappier films I watched over the year.

• Ex Machina
  • Inside Out
  • Mad Max
  • It Follows
  • The Force Awakens
  • The Martian
  • The Revenant
  • The Hateful Eight
  • Beasts of No Nation
  • Avengers: Age of Ultron
  • Sicario
  • Kingsman
  • Going Clear
  • Hyena
  • Slow West
  • MI: Rogue Nation
  • Bone Tomahawk
  • Jurassic Park
  • Predestination
  • Wild Tales
  • Spectre
  • Ant-Man
  • The Gift
  •  

I'm seeing The Hateful Eight in half an hour. Hype is rising. 

I'm not quite sure why the love for Sicario. I found it pretty boring, and frankly pretty ridiculous.

Yeah, I agree. A friend of mine actually started nodding off at one point. On a different visit, he fell asleep during SPECTRE, so you know he sleeps at the appropriate times.

Holy shit, you're right. No local cinema screenings lined up or anything.

It's sorcery of the darkest kind I tell you! Can something even exist if it isn't on the internet? :P 

Yeah Macbeth played for like one week at the most obscure cinema around me so I never got to see it, shame cause I was about a million times more interested in seeing Fassbenders portrayal of Macbeth than Steve Jobs. Eagerly awaiting a Blu Ray. 

I really loved Sicario :dunno:  Deakins cinematography was amazing as always and Benicio Del Toros performance was immense. Enjoyed it just as much when I watched it for the second time the other day. 

Saw The Revenant last night and it was damn good, probably put it 3 or 4 in my my top movies of 2015. 

I still haven't seen Steve Jobs yet. I can understand the frustration with the lack of circulation of Macbeth, which actually in the UK did good business. Two of my favourite films from last year, Welcome to Me and Ned Rifle, were only released well overdue for a week in the States, and I waited for months before I could download them. Welcome to Me I bought as an import. It still hasn't been released on DVD/BluRay in the UK. Am looking forward this month to watching both Hateful Eight and The Revenant. I forgot in my first list to include the last Mission Impossible film.

Barely seen any this year, must catch up.

1. Star Wars TFA

2. Kingsman

3. Ex Machina

4. Inside Out

5. Age of Ultron

6. Rogue Nation

7. Jurassic World

Mad Max, the Martian, Spectre, Ant Man, the Revenant and the Hateful Eight are all on my to "watch" list.

I thought Birdman came out last year? It would top this year's list if not. Excellent film. 

Birdman is indeed from 2014. Didn't it win the best picture Oscar? I can't even really remember.

I watched Ant Man on a plane. Not bad, I suppose, but not really necessary either.

I'm not super interested in The Hateful Eight. Not much of a Tarantino fan.

The best movies of the years so far for me are The Revenant, The Martian, and Mad Max Fury Road. I still haven't seen Ex Machina, The Big Short, The Hateful Eight (but I doubt I'd put it on my list as I have 0 interest in it) and Episode VII.

I loved Rogue Nation and Kingsman but by no means they are great films, like the rest of the 2015 movies that I saw.

To be honest, this year was pretty bland. TV Shows were a whole lot better, at least in my opinion.

I just came back from The Hateful Eight. I was completely blown away by it. It's everything I wanted Django to be and then some. This was the best Western since 2007 or heck, perhaps even the best since Once Upon A Time In the West. 

1) The Hateful Eight
2) Son of Saul (aka Saul Fia)
3) Mad Max: Fury Road
4) Chi-raq
5) Ex Machina
6) Slow West
7) Le Tout Nouveau Testament
8) Inside Out
9) It Follows 
10) The Assassin
11) Star Wars: The Force Awakens
12) D'Ardennen
13) The Martian
14) An Inspector Calls
15) Avengers: Age of Ultron
16) Dheepan
17) Beast of No Nation
18) Ant-man
19) Kingsman: The Secret Service 
20) The Wedding Ringer
21) Bone Tomahawk
22) Sicario
23) Spectre

I just came back from The Hateful Eight. I was completely blown away by it. It's everything I wanted Django to be and then some. This was the best Western since 2007 or heck, perhaps even the best since Once Upon A Time In the West. 

I will make a more elaborate post later, discussing movie lists with you. Sometimes, our opinions overlap, but more often than not we disagree on our perspective about movies. It is always fun talking to you about them though.

Once Upon a Time in the West was done in 1968. There have been a slew of better Westerns since then. My personal all time favorite in the genre is Unforgiven. I liked The Hateful Eight a considerable amount,  but I have it ranked as one of the bottom Tarintino flicks. That still makes it an astounding movie, because I'd rather watch Quentin's work than just about anyone. 

This makes up for our disagreement on Sicario, Hateful Eight was definitely my #1 as well. Glad you enjoyed it. 

1) The Hateful Eight
2) Son of Saul (aka Saul Fia)
3) Mad Max: Fury Road
4) Chi-raq
5) Ex Machina
6) Slow West
7) Le Tout Nouveau Testament
8) Inside Out
9) It Follows 
10) The Assassin
11) Star Wars: The Force Awakens
12) D'Ardennen
13) The Martian
14) An Inspector Calls
15) Avengers: Age of Ultron
16) Dheepan
17) Beast of No Nation
18) Ant-man
19) Kingsman: The Secret Service 
20) The Wedding Ringer
21) Sicario
22) Bone Tomahawk
23) Spectre

So I watched Ex Machina based on your recommendation. I was not disappointed. A good, well acted thriller.

I could complain that it in the end it presents the same view about AI-human relations that most other movies do, but I won't, seeing how well it was executed. The only part I am scratching my head over is the scene where Gleeson cuts his hand and punches the mirror. No idea what that was about. I also liked the allusion to Genesis in the Bible, seeing how Isaac's character was viewing himself as a god, and Ava's sessions numbered seven.

Archived