Songs You Never Realized Were Covers

drawkcabi

12 hours ago, drawkcabi said:

And Stevie Wonder if you count sampling.

You can also include lots of James Brown and George Clinton's Parliament Funkadelic in that.

Also when people talk of covers, is it simply doing a song after it was recorded or is it doing a song someone written?  I am thinking of Crazy which is known by being sung by Patsy Cline but was written by Willie Nelson.  Is Patsy's version the original or a cover?  Another one that comes to mind is Heard it through the Grapevine which went #1 by Gladys Knight andz the Pips and then Marvin Gaye's version was a bigger hit within a year.  So is Marvin Gaye the cover? Is it just another version since neither artist wrote it?

I think first person to record the song is the original. Though if the person who wrote the song later records it as well I wouldn't call that a cover. Two examples, both involving (who else) Bowie: Mott The Hoople's biggest hit, All The Young Dudes, was written by Bowie, who later recorded his own version; Bowie co-wrote China Girl with Iggy Pop, then recorded his own version of the song 5 years after Iggy's version was recorded. I wouldn't call either version of either song a cover.

36 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

I think first person to record the song is the original. Though if the person who wrote the song later records it as well I wouldn't call that a cover. Two examples, both involving (who else) Bowie: Mott The Hoople's biggest hit, All The Young Dudes, was written by Bowie, who later recorded his own version; Bowie co-wrote China Girl with Iggy Pop, then recorded his own version of the song 5 years after Iggy's version was recorded. I wouldn't call either version of either song a cover.

Thank you, it is a term that can get confusing when dealing with singers, songwriters, and singer-songwriters.

13 hours ago, Red Tiger said:

This was the first one I thought of. My head was all like "Well Cash is older, so he must have made the original", oh how wrong I was.

Even when I knew it was a cover I started to think "maybe NIN covered an old Cash Song and Cash re-recorded at the end"

13 hours ago, Bonesy said:

If it helps, Trent Reznor has said that Cash's version is the definitive one.

It's a lot more personal the way Cash delivers it that's for sure. The original is good in that it is more open to interpretation though.

Much more recent than a lot of these examples, but I didn't realize Lorde's 'Everybody Wants To Rule The World' was a Tears For Fears cover. Mostly because I only hear these things on the radio and don't pay much attention to the lyrics.

1 hour ago, Ouroboros said:

Much more recent than a lot of these examples, but I didn't realize Lorde's 'Everybody Wants To Rule The World' was a Tears For Fears cover. Mostly because I only hear these things on the radio and don't pay much attention to the lyrics.

Really?

20 hours ago, KiDisaster said:

I remember getting into a very unnecessarily heated argument with my dad when I was a teenager about whether 'All Along The Watchtower' was originally a Jimi Hendrix song or not. Which I guess wasn't so much an argument as it was my dad going "You know Bob Dylan wrote this song" and me being a shitty teenager and assuming my dad just didn't know what he was talking about. 

At least you weren't insisting it was a Dave Matthews song. I've run into a few of those over the years.

It took me a few years to find out that "Ring of Fire" was not a Social Distortion original.

I know Bob Dylan wrote "It Ain't Me Babe" and recorded it first, but the Johnny Cash and June Carter version is the definitive one to me.

It's inevitable really. Many already mentioned, I didn't know were covers for some time. I only found out Hurt wasn't written by Cash when I got the piano sheet music for it and it read "lyrics and music by Trent Reznor."

A confession: I react unreasonably when I find someone who thinks Downtown Train is a Rod Stewart song. Grrrrrr!

As I get older I see more and more of this. My daughter was listening to something and I was like, yeah I like the other version better. She was shocked to find out it was a cover. My first time experiencing it was Smoking in the boys room. I had never heard another version so I assumed Motley Crues' was it. Who knew?

20 hours ago, drawkcabi said:

And Dirk Diggler's "The Touch" was a cover of a Stan Bush original! :P

Mind. Blown. 

I guess I need to go see Boogie Nights, if only to see the genesis of this song. 

:lol:

Side note: My boys both know this song from Cartoon Network's Regular Show. I had to educate them on the real origins. Dad's gotta make sure his boys grow up good and edumacated.

7 hours ago, Ouroboros said:

Oh come on!

I remember when Ellie Goulding did a cover of Elton John's  "your song" I got frustrated when my siblings kept going on about how brilliant a songwriter she is.

Also, "knocking on heavens door" has too many damn covers 

25 minutes ago, Grand Maester Mithrandir said:

Oh come on!

I remember when Ellie Goulding did a cover of Elton John's  "your song" I got frustrated when my siblings kept going on about how brilliant a songwriter she is.

Don't they know Ewan McGregor wrote it? 

8 hours ago, Ouroboros said:

Seriously?  Never heard this cover, but if I needed another reason to hate Lorde, this might just be it...

14 hours ago, Myshkin said:

Gotta admit that I didn't realize, initially, that Nirvana was actually covering Bowie with "Man Who Sold the World".  I got hip quick to it being a cover, but then somehow didn't realize it was a cover of Bowie.  *sigh*

22 hours ago, drawkcabi said:

And Dirk Diggler's "The Touch" was a cover of a Stan Bush original! :P

Ummmm....Transformers movie soundtrack?  Hello.  :P

32 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Ummmm....Transformers movie soundtrack?  Hello.  :P

Yeah, the thing about that scene in Boogie Nights that bugged me was that I felt the movie was set significantly earlier than release of the Transformers movie.  (Will readily admit I have no idea how old The Touch was before it was used as a quasi theme song for Rodimus Prime.) 

Archived