Watch, Watched, Watching: The Director's Cut

RedEyedGhost

9 hours ago, Leap said:

You know, there's an old-timey war film called Inglorious B******S, that I once mistook for the Tarantino film. I didn't even realise straight away that it wasn't the right film, because it looked like it could have been a brief, stylised introduction segment. I still own it, don't know why.

Well, that film was the inspiration for Tarantino's. The title's only different because Tarantino's dyslexic, spelt it Inglourious Basterds in his first draft, and decided to keep it that way. 

Actually all of Tarantino's films that I've watched would rank in my fave movies ever list. HUGE fan of him tbh. Only films I haven't seen are Death Proof and Jackie Brown. I know he didn't direct them but I love True Romance and From Dusk Till Dawn as well. Not as much as much as the films he actually directed but I do really like both. He features in a pretty enjoyable japanese western movie 'Sukiyaki Western Django' which i couldnt find on dvd in my store :( i'd quite like to own it as i liked it quite a bit. 

Oh I really like it but I just prefer The Kill Bills, Inglourious and Pulp Fiction and Hateful Eight. I really need to rewatch Reservoir Dogs and Django because I don't rate them as highly as the rest but I only watched Reservoir Dogs a couple times yeaaaars ago

1 hour ago, Theda Baratheon said:

He features in a pretty enjoyable japanese western movie 'Sukiyaki Western Django' which i couldnt find on dvd in my store :( i'd quite like to own it as i liked it quite a bit. 

I wanted to like this film more than I did. Not sure what it was, but it didn't charm me. 

True Romance is awesome, but it's better if you've seen Terence Malick's Badlands, so you can pick up on all the homage and shit. 

On 1/28/2016 at 3:55 AM, RedEyedGhost said:

If that's something you're interested in, you should check out The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson.  And I doubt it, but the movie you're looking for isn't What Dreams May Come is it?  It was out a full 8 years before The Fountain which is why I don't think it is what you're looking for, but maybe.

That sounds like an interesting book. I love a good example of storytelling. Is it a film or just a book? :)

The film is not What Dreams May Come - but thanks anyway. I'm really beginning to move toward this all being a dream of mine.

Ok, so we went to see The Revenant this week. It looks absolutely breathtakingly beautiful and it truly demands to be seen on a large screen. It sounds amazing too. I've listened to the soundtrack a couple of times already and I'll definitely continue to do so. In terms of performances... well, yes, it's a very strong display from Di Caprio. There is no denying that. But do I think it is The Absolute Best Performance by an actor for films released in 2015 (even though this film was released in the UK in 2016)...? I'm not sure. Of course the onus is on me to suggest a stronger candidate for Best Actor. I'm not sure I can. What I am trying to say is yes, it's a very strong performance but it just didn't touch me, didn't affect me emotionally, in the way I think it is supposed to. Ultimately, it looks beautiful but it left me largely cold.

Last night we watched another of these mind-bending films: Another Earth. I missed this at the pictures but it was given to me as gift on DVD and I finally got around to seeing it. I guess in a way it is a little reminiscent of Melancholia, with this huge planetary body looming over them the whole time, affecting their behaviour. The concept of there being another earth where there are alternative versions of ourselves living out alternative lives (from the point where we noticed the existence of the other earth - actually even that doesn't make sense, that at the moment we noticed it, that was when the lives of the people on the two planets diverged. Oh, I don't know, maybe it does make 'sense')... is interesting. The  performance from the protagonist (I have just confirmed that she was also the lead in The Sound of My Voice, which I LOVED) is great. She is totally convincing as someone who doesn't really care about themselves or anything else really, she is only focussed on this one goal of making things right after her mistake. To summarise, it's a nice film, with a convincing lead but it doesn't do a huge deal to explore the premise of the science of the title. Although the ending does leave you wondering, which is always a good thing.

I watched Predestination. I had some mixed feelings about the film, it's at its best in the scenes where Sarah Snook's character is in the bar telling Ethan Hawke about her story and the associated flashbacks. Snook is very good in an unusual role. However, I thought the film got less compelling the more it got in to the time travel parts of the story and the finale seems to require a lot of character development we never got to see on screen.

10 hours ago, Isis said:

That sounds like an interesting book. I love a good example of storytelling. Is it a film or just a book? :)

The film is not What Dreams May Come - but thanks anyway. I'm really beginning to move toward this all being a dream of mine.

Just a book. 

Looking at IMDB, is it: The Man from Earth, The Fall, or the one I think it most likely could be Mr. Nobody?

Right now I'm watching The Terminator because it drops off of Netflix's streaming list on Feb 1st.

10 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Just a book. 

Looking at IMDB, is it: The Man from Earth, The Fall, or the one I think it most likely could be Mr. Nobody?

Right now I'm watching The Terminator because it drops off of Netflix's streaming list on Feb 1st.

I'm certainly going to watch Mr Nobody because it keeps popping up in these lists of similar films. Actually I haven't seen any of those three films so I don't think it can be any of them.

Last night we watched Super 8. I thought it was a charming little film, very much in the Goonies mould, kids doing lots of ACTION STUFF regardless of how ineffectual grown ups are being at the same time. Lots of great acting from young people and I actually cared what happened to them (unlike in The Revenant). I would definitely recommend this if you haven't seen it. It would be a good Sunday afternoon film. Or a Saturday night film, in fact.

I just rewatched the classic era Dr Who story Tomb of the Cybermen. I didn't think so the first time round, but it really is a cracker. Easily the best set design of any black and white adventure, with the best soundtrack of the earlier years also, and along with Earth Shock now my favourite story to feature the Communists from Mondas. Most of the actually decent stories featuring them, of course, though in later years their design improved, were shot before the colour episodes.

Anyone watching the ITV Beowulf show??? It's kind of not very good at all really and the lead beowulf is well...boring but there's parts of it I'm interested in and it's relatively easy watching even though it took three times to start and stop and finally finish the first ep. I just COULDN'T get into it. But it's okay I guess...13 eps isn't too much and there's never anything else on a sunday (except for vera now) so i will watch the lot. 

Archived