Watch, Watched, Watching: The Director's Cut

RedEyedGhost

15 hours ago, Fat Mac said:

30 Rock is my absolute favorite. I've watched it probably five times now and still find new jokes.

That's the thing about 30 Rock. It didn't just have better jokes than every other sitcom, they came so thick and fast it also had far more of them.

Chiming in with the poster who said that Mean Streets is one of the best Scorsese films -- and likely one of the best films certainly of the period about which it is made.  I'm always in awe at how brilliantly Scorsese succeeds in translating a past period to the screen.

Mean Streets is one of my personal favorites -- I tend to re-watch it every year or two.

I watched the Hateful Eight on Sunday night and thought it dragged a bit in the middle too. I'm all for Tarantino dialogue but there was a bit too much of it in the beginning with nothing really happening. The end picked up though. 

The Big Short is the only other major 2015 movie that I intend to watch while still in theaters. It's probably not going to beat Mad Max: Fury Road for best movie of the year for me (and I re-watched it again last night! It's still... spectacular).

Otherwise, I have been on quite a schizophrenic run. I watched:

1. The first 2 episodes of Season 1 Shameless. Emmy Rossum, marry me!!

2. The first 3 episodes of S2 Black Sails. This is off to a much better start than the first season as I recall. The Machiavellian politics are abound. I'll be continuing this one.

3. Halfway through the Amazon original Red Oaks. Coming of age story that takes place on a resort. It feels like a John Hughes movie crossed with Caddyshack. Think I'm going to enjoy this one. 

Realized I've been paying for television for like 3 years and have watched literally nothing on it except football, so I tuned in to watch 'War and Peace' live, but somehow I've wound up watching Ancient Aliens in anticipation. This really is something, never seen it before.

Finished watching 'Boondock Saints', but nothing moves me to jumping up and down on the couch quite like 'Warriors' with Tom Hardy. My dad was really into boxing, and one of my many roommates in the 2000's was a Jiu jitsu brown belt or something so I like fighting. That said, 'Warriors' is a great damn film.

5 minutes ago, Liffguard said:

Warrior is definitely awesome. Well acted, well shot, and the fight choreography was actually really good.

Between that and 'The Dark Knight', I'm not sure how people think 'The Force Awakens' is the greatest thing since sliced bread. It's a good film, but it doesn't even compare to some of the great pictures in the last decade alone. I absolutely loved TFA, but you put it next to Warriors, The Dark Knight, Fighter, and Django, and I'm left here saying 'why are you even trying!?! just get out of the fucking building with the legal right to hold your head up'

As a nail in the coffin, 'The Prestige' is technically a qualifier in the 'last decade' argument. I think it's great that people, mostly Cowboys, love TFA, but goddamn if it barely captures the 'best film of the month' title from 'Creed' in my eyes. And I'm not so delusional as to claim anything but that TFA gets a truckload of credit from me for having a female main character while I'd dismiss Creed if they even considered such a decision.

33 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Between that and 'The Dark Knight', I'm not sure how people think 'The Force Awakens' is the greatest thing since sliced bread. It's a good film, but it doesn't even compare to some of the great pictures in the last decade alone. I absolutely loved TFA, but you put it next to Warriors, The Dark Knight, Fighter, and Django, and I'm left here saying 'why are you even trying!?! just get out of the fucking building with the legal right to hold your head up'

As a nail in the coffin, 'The Prestige' is technically a qualifier in the 'last decade' argument. I think it's great that people, mostly Cowboys, love TFA, but goddamn if it barely captures the 'best film of the month' title from 'Creed' in my eyes. And I'm not so delusional as to claim anything but that TFA gets a truckload of credit from me for having a female main character while I'd dismiss Creed if they even considered such a decision.

Lol, none of the movies in this post is even in the running for best film of the last decade. And I'm a huge Dark Knight fan.

3 hours ago, Kindly Old Man said:

Lol, none of the movies in this post is even in the running for best film of the last decade. And I'm a huge Dark Knight fan.

Agreed

watched Miller's Crossing again. One of my favorite Coens. Some of the best dialogue of theirs. "All in all not a bad guy. If looks, brains, and personality don't count" :D 

10 hours ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

I am a big Star Wars fan and I agree that The Dark Knight was leaps and bounds better. No argument from me. The over reaction to TFA for me is that it was a good Star Wars movie. After those two horrible horrible and one decent prequels it was great to see a movie in the Star Wars family that was a GOOD movie.

Ok, did a quick search and looked at a bunch of movies lists for 2010-2015 and came up with my personal top 10( I may have missed something that just wasn't on the 5 lists I looked at).

Again, my list, my favorites, not yours or the critics! Not in order

Straight outta Compton - just brought back memories, I started listening to rap in like 1990-1991 and this was the group and album that introduced it to me so this movie struck a cord

Star Wars TFA - Big Star Wars fan, so it was great to have a movie that wasn't all about fake creatures and garbage

12 years a slave - just the journey and emotions

The Avengers - original was great for me

The Dark Knight rises - one of the best action/super hero movies I have ever seen. Joker made it for me hands down.

Rise of the Planet of the Apes - left the theatre wanting to see more. Unfortunately the sequel wasn't what I wanted!

Girl with the Dragon tattoo - excellent movie. Read all the books after seeing this and watched the foreign film versions of them all

The Social Network - Not sure why but every time I saw this on the movie lists I kept smiling and wondering why I hadn't written it down, so I did!

Dallas buyers club - again, just the emotions

Limitless - this one appealed to me. I really like the tv version too, quirky and goofy but I like it

Sniper - action, emotions, a hero not a hero person, based on true story. checked all my boxes

11 hours ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Tbf, I don't know how many people really think it's on the level of any of those sorts of films. It's a different sort of appreciation.

That said, TFA wasn't even in the top two franchise legacy update movies of 2015. Though it was still a good, fun film, which is what we needed from it really. 

Watched Avengers: Age of Ultron the other night. Meh. Superhero films are well past the saturation point. I'm tired of Robert Downey Jr.'s Iron Man and the Avengers using Cap's shield as a team weapon. Not enough Hulk in this one.

I actually enjoyed the premiere of Lucifer. Mostly Lucifer's interactions with other people. The crime-solving aspect of the show was weak.

I'm enjoying Syfy's adaptation of The Magicians as well. I've never read the series so it's all new to me and I can't complain about adaptation choices. 

Started watching The Expanse and hope it is good as everyone says it is (especially for Syfy)... Plan to see The Magicians and Lucifer... Heavens, how do I find time for all these shows? :)

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

Tbf, I don't know how many people really think it's on the level of any of those sorts of films. It's a different sort of appreciation.

That said, TFA wasn't even in the top two franchise legacy update movies of 2015. Though it was still a good, fun film, which is what we needed from it really. 

Mad Max is one of the top two, what's the other?

I watched A Very Harold & Kumar 3D Christmas. Boy, it was terrible, but I couldn't help liking it. It's definitely the weakest of the bunch and NPH's was kind off tame in this film compared to the previous two (probably my biggest disappointment). They should definitely do another one of these I feel :P

1 minute ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Mad Max is one of the top two, what's the other?

Creed of course ;)

12 hours ago, Kindly Old Man said:

Yeah, I agree as well. I love The Dark Knight, but it's definitely not one the absolute best films of the last decade. Heath Ledger's Joker is one of the best performances though, at least imo. That's why I can pretty much describe all the weaker parts of TDK as "whenever the Joker isn't on screen" :) 

12 hours ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

TFA > Warriors. For 2/3 of its runtime warriors was wel underway of earning classic status, but it has one of the worst resolutions of all time. I still can't stand Joel Edgerton after all those years.

Creed is definitely better than TFA though and a lot better than Warriors. 

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

:agree: TFA definitely has a couple of big flaws, but I did really enjoy it while I was watching it. It was way better than I had expected, given J.J. trackrecord and the last bunch of SW "movies". People are just glad that it didn't suck and that it was actually mostly true to the spirit of the OT. 

Since like 9 people responded to my last thoughts, I'll make a blanket statement.

I was extremely drunk last nigh and the films I mentioned were sitting on my desk. I love them, and think they're all better than TFA by leaps and bounds, but I don't think any of them are the best films of the last decade. I was more going for 'these great movies are all better' than crowning any of them as 'greatest'.

On the TFA thing, there are people on this forum who freak the fuck out if you criticize the film at all. Like full grown adults burying their heads in the sand and screaming to drown you out. I was pretty much taking a drunken shot at them.

Archived