Watch, Watched, Watching: The Director's Cut

RedEyedGhost

I saw 99 Homes yesterday. A pretty good film about the housing crisis, although I think it should have taken the Wall Street route just a little bit more. The third act was pretty weak, but I guess the director didn't want to tamper with the facts of the story on which he based himself. Michael Shannon was great though, I think he should have gotten a nomination for his work here. He definitely had some great for your consideration moments, but I guess 99 Homes just flew under the radar of most voters. 

Also rewatched What We Do In The Shadows. I have seen it three or four times by now and it's still hilarious. 

Theda -

I gave up watching Beowulf after the first episode. It's good to see the stil hot and still talented Joanne Whalley back on our screens, but apart from that I thought it was a formulaic mix of duff pacing, wooden characterisation, stiff acting and cartoonish CGI.

5 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

Anyone watching the ITV Beowulf show??? It's kind of not very good at all really and the lead beowulf is well...boring but there's parts of it I'm interested in and it's relatively easy watching even though it took three times to start and stop and finally finish the first ep. I just COULDN'T get into it. But it's okay I guess...13 eps isn't too much and there's never anything else on a sunday (except for vera now) so i will watch the lot. 

Yeah I've been watching it. Yesterday was the 5th episode. It's ok, nothing spectacular but something to watch. David Bradley was on yesterdays episode too!

Has anyone here ever watched Psych? I like Timothy Omundson's work on Galavant so much that I'm thinking about giving it a shot some time in the future, but I don't really know what to expect... Is it any good?

10 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Been watching a new Showtime series called "Billions". I think they've shown 4 episodes so far.

I rate it as entertaining, Paul Giamatti is one of the leads and the plot centers around Wall Street type scandal storylines.

Yeah I'm enjoying it. There's been 3 episodes so far.

Just finished Orson Welles' Chimes at Midnight. It's indeed a great film. Welles is just perfect in it. It's like Shakespeare wrote Falstaff with Welles in mind. There are some heartbreaking moments in this film and you just feel for Falstaff, who might be a bit of a cad, but he's essentially a good character.

The battle sequence was intense and I get why it's still a point of reference for modern filmmakers. Although I have to admit I thought it went on for to long before we got back to a recognizable face. The sets were impressive as well. The contrast between the stark cathedralish look of the throneroom and the warm and more intimate was awesome. And it really helped sell the difference between a good man like Falstaff and the rather hypocritical (yet still humane) Henry V. 

8 hours ago, Veltigar said:

Has anyone here ever watched Psych? I like Timothy Omundson's work on Galavant so much that I'm thinking about giving it a shot some time in the future, but I don't really know what to expect... Is it any good?

Psych is a very funny show (and Omundson is a big part of that). It's got a pretty good cast, witty quick fire dialogue, and interesting if a bit far-fetched plots. I enjoyed the hell out of it. 

1 hour ago, Fat Mac said:

Psych is a very funny show (and Omundson is a big part of that). It's got a pretty good cast, witty quick fire dialogue, and interesting if a bit far-fetched plots. I enjoyed the hell out of it. 

I love Psych.  Mostly for the characters and their interactions than the plots.  Gus is so awesome.  "Sean.  We Got a Zoo lied to us!" 

I'm watching Groundhog Day right now, because I'm confident I will not have time to watch it tomorrow... or will I?

On 31/01/2016 at 7:48 PM, Astromech said:

@ Isis

The film you are referring to wouldn't happen to be a Hong Kong film, would it? Wong Kar-wai's, 2046, sounds like it could fit the mold.

No, but thanks. :(

7 hours ago, Mexal said:

Meh. Very disappointing. Beautiful to look at but not much more.

7 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

A bit flat in some areas but absolutely BEAUTIFUL and deliciously gothic to look at. I did enjoy it. Quite Angela Carter like which i loved.

Thanks. Kind of what I expected but I'll give it a chance sooner or later.

I was planning on knocking another 2015 film from my to watch list, but nothing really spoke to me. Instead I turned to Ebert's list of greatest films and I picked My Man Godfrey, a screwball comedy made back in 1936 to watch tonight. I get why Ebert gave this one a perfect rating, but I'm not completely enarmoured. It's a film that is very much of its time and while that's an asset for pretty much the entire runtime of this film, I feel like the ending is more than a bit of a letdown. 

Everything before that is great. You couldn't really make a movie like it anymore I feel. Wes Anderson might get the feel right but I do think he would get the story wrong. Anyway, the actors were all lovely. William Powell and Gail Patrick in particular were just delightful to watch. It looks really good as well, it's beautiful in a way that's so very unique to a picture in black and white.

I watched it for free on this archive site, since the copyright has long expired, but the print isn't the finest quality. It's a very short film by today's standard and at one point they - I guess accidentally - play one scene on a loop. Still, even in this format the beauty of the costumes and sets can't be denied.

And finally, it was really very funny. I guess the only thing I didn't like was the ending, like I said in the first paragraph. It fits very much into the screwball comedy mold and it lessens the film really. Up to that point it was really enjoyable, but I saw it more as a primarily romantic film, with a pretty great romance at its core (one for the ages even), but it failed to deliver on that early promise. 

The woman he ends up with at the end is good from a screwball comedie perspective, but all wrong for a romance. Especially to us modern viewers, because the woman he ends up with is really a rather vapid character, while a far more intriguing, formidable and fully realized female character is dropped. I know I shouldn't be bothered by it, because in its ending the movie just shows that it's very much of its age, but so am I unfortunetaly. If I were a studio executive, I would probably try and get a remake of this made with a more appropriate ending.

Still despite my misgivings expressed here, I do recommend it. It was very fun to watch and it put a smile on my face.

For those who have seen the film: I thought  Cornelia (played by the ravishing Gail Patrick) was a far better match for this protagonist. From a modern PoV I thought they had far more chemistry and were far better suited for each other than the younger sister Irene

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I started a LOST marathon this week. I am now watching the front end of season 2. This is probably my sixth or seventh time through this series, and is one of my most beloved shows of all time. For all of the complaining about the writing on this show, I have much to say. To keep it brief here I will just mention that I was just moved to tears for at least the seventh time by a scene where a woman eats some peanut butter,  If anyone, anywhere, wants to know how to write characters in fiction, this is among the first places to study.

Agree with you there, Howdy. Lost may have had its flaws (particularly the later seasons) but one thing they did very well was character development. Which is crazy if you look at how big the cast was.

I still maintain to this day that the scene with Jack & Sawyer, from Exodus pt.1, the one where Sawyer tells Jack about how he met his dad in Australia, is probably my single favourite scene in all tv. It just felt right.

Archived