Football - clouds on the optimism horizon

Rorshach

1 hour ago, Mexal said:

Same. I imagine Iwobi will sit. I also think we'll see Xhaka/Elneny partnership again which I like. 

I have a sneaking suspicion that he's going to start Cazorla alongside Xhaka - but we'll see. 

Interesting games and results.

Esp. the Barcelona Group.

Well played Celtic. Also kudos to Gladbach for making Barca really work for their points today.

I also did not expect PSV to drop points in Russia. And Kiev driving home with one.

What I loved about that link is the compilation of his Arsenal goals. What an amazing player he was, and that in a team with Thierry Henry. It's very clear that both United and Arsenal despite all the acquisitions don't have nowhere near as good a team now as they did in those days a decade ago. You sometimes forget how excellent they were, Arsenal was a joy to watch in the Bergkamp days.

As for Pires, watching those goals, it seems like he wasn't even capable of scoring one that wasn't beautiful. His flair, ball control and the certainty of his shot really stand out to me, he had a very clean, hard shot.

I'm nervous about tonight. We've got the players to punish Palace, but they've got the players to punish us as well. 

And while I sort of like Oviedo, he looked well short of match fitness vs Bournemouth, and our left side suffered greatly. Everything we pulled off in that match came on the right. We need to change that, and that means Oviedo needs to step up.

Oh, and btw: Pulis for England. Perfect fit.

1 minute ago, Soylent Brown said:

Alan Smith challenging Glenn Hoddle for the title of Biggest Dimwit On The Footie. Complaining that Phil Jagielka handballed it and so Everton shouldn't have had a freekick.

He handballed it because he'd raised his hands to protect himself from the high foot flying at his face, you fucking cretin.

Was about to say the same. Dipshits. Why are so many commentators cretins?

6 minutes ago, Raja said:

Excellent game so far - Everton got lucky there, Delaney was easily onside ( also, what is going on with his hair?) 

Yea, but the offside wasn't called on Delaney but the guy who tried to head in the ball that Delaney headed it. That guy was offsides when Delaney headed it.

Great free kick by Lukaku and very good header by Benteke.  With both sides having a recent run of wins, settling for a draw feels like they both lose some momentum.  But both sides picked up those wins against Stoke, Boro and Sunderland so not a big shock that playing a team in form was more of a challenge.  At least a draw is less of a momentum killer than a loss.  

For Everton though, that's two losses and draw in their last three after such a good start.  They need to regain some form after the international break. 

Archived