Rogue One....Brings a New Hope. Full Spoiler Discussion

Suzanna Stormborn

Finally watched the movie yesterday. I should say that while I am interested in the Star Wars Franchise, I am not what you would call a fan. 

I really liked the movie and would easily put it behind ESB, on par with ANH. 

My general impression was that this is an "adult" Star Wars, unlike the childish Prequels. And for the first time I could "feel" what those who chose to fight against the Empire have to sacrifice. Finally. 

The ending...take a deep breathe and realize that every rebel on the planet dies and not necessarily in an over-the-top heroic way but by conducting his or her duty. Strong. 

I read complaints that the movie is too dark for a SW movie. I do not agree. The way it played out was the only way to not insult the 2016 cinema goer. This is a generation which grew up with movies like Black Hawk Down or American Sniper, not "A Bridge Too Far". R1 is in its core a "Special Ops" or Guerilla War movie and the rebels are basically partisans. 

13 hours ago, Howdyphillip said:

Tarkin clearly calls the target the death star attacks the moon of Jedha.

Isn't the city itself also called Jedha? *checks starwars.com* Yup. All of the above are correct according to the site. But it also says the planet is "frosted over in permanent winter." WTF? Someone call Pablo Hidalgo to get that shits fixed, ASAP!

On 12/29/2016 at 2:29 AM, ab aeterno said:

Careful not to choke on your admonishments, PetyrPunkinhead. :P

Don't make me destroy you.

I did not even notice that Tarkin was digitally added, he looked perfectly human to me. Leia, not so much, but she was convincing enough.

I watched the movie with subtitles and at no point did they mention NaJedha, NiJedha or whatever, it was just Jedha all along.

18 hours ago, Nictarion said:

I thought Cassian was pretty forgettable tbh. 

For me he was the best drawn character of the group. I've seen people here, and other places, say that they liked the characters, but they just weren't what they wanted out of Star Wars characters. For me it was the opposite. From the moment Rogue One was announced I was excited to see the motivations and sacrifices of the everyday soldiers of the rebellion. Space wizards battling existential evil is great, and that's exactly what we got in the previous 7 films, and will get in at least 2 more. These side stories though offer a great opportunity to explore the smaller, meaner stories of regular people willing to fight and die for an ideal. And that's what I got to see with Cassian, and to a lesser extent Bohdi. That's also why I was disappointed to hear that the next one will be a Han Solo origin story. 

16 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

For me he was the best drawn character of the group. I've seen people here, and other places, say that they liked the characters, but they just weren't what they wanted out of Star Wars characters. For me it was the opposite. From the moment Rogue One was announced I was excited to see the motivations and sacrifices of the everyday soldiers of the rebellion. Space wizards battling existential evil is great, and that's exactly what we got in the previous 7 films, and will get in at least 2 more. These side stories though offer a great opportunity to explore the smaller, meaner stories of regular people willing to fight and die for an ideal. And that's what I got to see with Cassian, and to a lesser extent Bohdi. That's also why I was disappointed to hear that the next one will be a Han Solo origin story. 

I have to agree.  Its a big damn galaxy out there... lets explore it a little bit.

I think I would LOVE to see a film adaptation of the abandoned Star Wars 1313.  Give me a gritty crime procedural in the underbelly of Coruscant.  You gave me the Dirty Dozen in space.  Now give me Lethal Weapon.  Give me the Man With No Name starring Boba Fett (or not... I'd actually prefer a different bounty hunter; but you get the idea). 

Stick to the grand themes and white/black of the main sequence movies.  Give me the Skywalker family for 1-9.  But when we go into the unnumbered movies, take the shackles off and tell stories set against the grand stage of the galaxy a long time ago far, far away.

Just saw it a few nights back with my son. Cool to see the dude from "Night Of" getting a slot in a blockbuster, he's solid, will enjoy seeing him in more roles as he's definately raised his profile now. 

I really enjoyed this, the story was sensible, everything was smooth with the action and CGI. Fun movie, I give this a big "pollex" up:D 

5 minutes ago, Rhom said:

I have to agree.  Its a big damn galaxy out there... lets explore it a little bit.

I think I would LOVE to see a film adaptation of the abandoned Star Wars 1313.  Give me a gritty crime procedural in the underbelly of Coruscant.  You gave me the Dirty Dozen in space.  Now give me Lethal Weapon.  Give me the Man With No Name starring Boba Fett (or not... I'd actually prefer a different bounty hunter; but you get the idea). 

Stick to the grand themes and white/black of the main sequence movies.  Give me the Skywalker family for 1-9.  But when we go into the unnumbered movies, take the shackles off and tell stories set against the grand stage of the galaxy a long time ago far, far away.

I'm with you on all of this. People think I'm weird when I tell them that Greedo interests me far more than Boba Fett. 

42 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

I hope we eventually get into films exploring more of the Star Wars universe, even various ages of that universe (KOTOR, please). I realize we'll see more of the recognized characters and stories since its an easier sell to studio execs, but I really hope they take more chances with the franchise. I just cringe whenever hearing the term "origin story".

1 hour ago, Astromech said:

I hope we eventually get into films exploring more of the Star Wars universe, even various ages of that universe (KOTOR, please). I realize we'll see more of the recognized characters and stories since its an easier sell to studio execs, but I really hope they take more chances with the franchise. I just cringe whenever hearing the term "origin story".

You know Revan was going to be made canon in The Clone Wars, right? Heartbreaking.

Having said that, I'm glad to see an increasing number of EU or EU inspired characters trickling into the canon. And plenty of KotoR links, such as the Hammerheads and Malachor, 

3 hours ago, Myshkin said:

I agree completely with this. Especially the bit about the Han Solo movie.

I think the Han Solo movie (and potential trilogy) was Disney hedging its bets if Rogue One failed. Now that Rogue One has been a big hit and very well-received, they can look at doing something else in that vein for the 2020 stand-alone movie. They may even be tempted to put something else in development earlier (The Bothans Strike Back?) and have two Star Wars movies in a year at some point.

The Clone Wars delved into the 1313 setting a little in Season 5 (particualry in Ahsoka's closing, excellent arc). Given that everyone seems to like the idea for 1313, I wouldn't be surprised to see it continue being mined, if not actually redeveloped at some point.

21 hours ago, ab aeterno said:

You know, the droids often have the most personality of any characters. R2 and 3PO, HK-47 in the KotoR series, K-2SO. 

Chopper in Rebels is also excellent, simply because he's a completely random arsehole for no discernible reason: there's a scene where the crew gets misty-eyed over this cool droid who they inadvertently rescued, so Chopper drops him out of the airlock from about 5,000 feet and effectively murders him (cheesily, it later turns out he survives and is adopted by a group of wild cats) in a jealous rage, flips the crew off whilst laughing and carries on as normal. This happens quite a lot. He's also in Rogue One (for about two seconds).

On 12/29/2016 at 2:43 PM, Lord Sidious said:

Nearly?!, I don't want nearly I want him to f**k off to the light side as fast as possible as he's an absolute embarrassment to the dark, the only thing I will be happy with is Ren turning to the light and Rey claiming her rightful title as Dark Lord of the Sith.

Exactly this. He's so bad at being bad it's embarrassing. I'd much rather see her resurrect the Sith much like Luke tried to bring back the Jedi. 

2 hours ago, ab aeterno said:

You know Revan was going to be made canon in The Clone Wars, right? Heartbreaking.

Having said that, I'm glad to see an increasing number of EU or EU inspired characters trickling into the canon. And plenty of KotoR links, such as the Hammerheads and Malachor, 

An animated adaptation of something KOTOR would be nice. Not sure what Disney's feelings are regarding more than one animated Star Wars series running concurrently.

On 12/30/2016 at 6:43 AM, Lord Sidious said:

Nearly?!, I don't want nearly I want him to f**k off to the light side as fast as possible as he's an absolute embarrassment to the dark, the only thing I will be happy with is Ren turning to the light and Rey claiming her rightful title as Dark Lord of the Sith.

I have this (forlorn) hope that there will be a scene where Phasma and Ren need to block/protect something vital, and then Ren watches in amazement as Phasma starts sabotaging the defences. When he goes to stop her she draws a lightsaber and then proceeds to knock him around, saying things like "how weak are the Knights of Ren", "why didn't they punish her for failing at starkiller base - because they're week", "that he got beaten by a barely trained girl", "that Vader was a lord of the Sith, does he really want to be one", revealing herself as Sith. After beating him down to the ground Vader/Luke style, she offers him the choice of real power to join her - which he accepts.

And goes off and becomes a real Sith. Leaving a vulnerability for the Resistance to use in bringing the Knights of Ren down. 

Explains Phasma's ineptitude (she was undermining the knights), and creates bad-ass villians for movies post the main-nine. And opens us up to finally seeing some real villian vs. villian lightsabre fights in the future. 

5 hours ago, Myshkin said:

I should quantify my statements here as I am the one saying that I didn't like these characters as Star Wars characters. This might have been a little too harsh to say, because ultimately I did really like them as characters. 

I am delighted that Disney is giving us peeks at different sides of the Galaxy. I am really happy that they put out Rogue One, and I did absolutely love the movie. I hope they continue to do this. With that said, the stories I am drawn to in the Universe are the old fashioned, tried and true, good vs evil and hero's journey. I think we are living in a time period where it is too easy to just dismiss that out of hand. Earlier in the thread, someone said that a 2016 audience is too sophisticated for that. I do not believe that at all. 

11 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Chopper in Rebels is also excellent, simply because he's a completely random arsehole for no discernible reason: there's a scene where the crew gets misty-eyed over this cool droid who they inadvertently rescued, so Chopper drops him out of the airlock from about 5,000 feet and effectively murders him (cheesily, it later turns out he survives and is adopted by a group of wild cats) in a jealous rage, flips the crew off whilst laughing and carries on as normal. This happens quite a lot. He's also in Rogue One (for about two seconds).

I didn't really like Chopper at first, I felt that they were struggling to make him communicative early on, but once they hit their stride with him, and started getting across the really anti-social elements of his personality, he took off (literally.)

56 minutes ago, Astromech said:

An animated adaptation of something KOTOR would be nice. Not sure what Disney's feelings are regarding more than one animated Star Wars series running concurrently.

My understanding is that that is exactly what's happening. Given the rumours, Filoni will be heading up Lucasfilm animation and there'll be a second animated show set after RotJ.

1 hour ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

Exactly this. He's so bad at being bad it's embarrassing. I'd much rather see her resurrect the Sith much like Luke tried to bring back the Jedi. 

4 minutes ago, ants said:

I have this (forlorn) hope that there will be a scene where Phasma and Ren need to block/protect something vital, and then Ren watches in amazement as Phasma starts sabotaging the defences. When he goes to stop her she draws a lightsaber and then proceeds to knock him around, saying things like "how weak are the Knights of Ren", "why didn't they punish her for failing at starkiller base - because they're week", "that he got beaten by a barely trained girl", "that Vader was a lord of the Sith, does he really want to be one", revealing herself as Sith. After beating him down to the ground Vader/Luke style, she offers him the choice of real power to join her - which he accepts.

And goes off and becomes a real Sith. Leaving a vulnerability for the Resistance to use in bringing the Knights of Ren down. 

Explains Phasma's ineptitude (she was undermining the knights), and creates bad-ass villians for movies post the main-nine. And opens us up to finally seeing some real villian vs. villian lightsabre fights in the future. 

I could totally get on board with that!, so far The Knights of Ren look like an inept shambles compared to the Sith.

I'm still really hoping for Rey to become Sith though, because an evil Disney princess would be a great role model :P, and also I really want this theory to be true:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/j-kenji-lopezalt/this-bizarre-star-wars-theory-palpatine-_b_9617828.html

3 minutes ago, ab aeterno said:

I didn't really like Chopper at first, I felt that they were struggling to make him communicative early on, but once they hit their stride with him, and started getting across the really anti-social elements of his personality, he took off (literally.)

My understanding is that that is exactly what's happening. Given the rumours, Filoni will be heading up Lucasfilm animation and there'll be a second animated show set after RotJ.

It is no rumor to Filoni heading up Lucasfilm Animation. He started that job in September. 

I really hope that they are not planning on ending Rebels with the crew going down at the battle of Skerith. That was fine for the Rogue One characters, but I have a multi year investment on the Rebel now and I don't want to see it end on the exact same note as this movie.

10 minutes ago, ab aeterno said:

Wait who is chopper? are you talking about someone who is in rogue one? Or are you talking about someone who is in some other star wars thing. Did he get aspects of his personality latterly cut off. Was that why you put literally in brackets. Anyways just saw rogue one which was awesome.

Archived