US Politics: Lock Him Up!

Fragile Bird

4 minutes ago, denstorebog said:

Yeah, I don't see that path either. It's easy to imagine nightmare scenarios, but right now, more than any other time, we need razor sharp focus on the ones that could actually come true.

I agree.  The President is completely divorced from the truth.  It is hard to come up with a scenario where this doesn't end really badly for the country. 

12 minutes ago, denstorebog said:

Eh?

Well Republicans want to defund planned parenthood, so if there are no pp facilities remaining, women wouldn't be able to vote. Simple!

38 minutes ago, Durckad said:

Well Republicans want to defund planned parenthood, so if there are no pp facilities remaining, women wouldn't be able to vote. Simple!

Poll taxes, property requirements, that sort of thing tends to work against women at least as much as against African Americans.

If They can force women to fund and hold funerals and burials in cemeteries for fetuses as Texas and Indiana, for instance (thank you Pence), property taxes etc. are easy.  For the Pence contribution, Snopes goes through it thoroughly, what it does and does not require:

http://www.snopes.com/pence-law-forcing-fetus-funerals/

The Texas law was blocked by a Fed judge:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-texas-abortion-laws-20170128-story.html

But, as we all know Barbara, this isn't the end of it because They and Their Ilks never ever stop.

1 hour ago, Ormond said:

But what plausible restrictions would there be that would affect women as a group more than men as a group? 

Making election day a school holiday would complicate voting for single and stay-at-home parents, of which women are likely the majority.

9 minutes ago, The Mance said:

Making election day a school holiday would complicate voting for single and stay-at-home parents, of which women are likely the majority.

Isn't election day a school holiday nationwide?  It is in MD and VA.  Schools are usually used as polling locations.

Transparency is a thing of the past. Sean Spicer hasn't held an on camera briefing in over a week and won't hold one today. Trump and team wouldn't let any press pool reporters or camera man into the Oval Office when Trump signed the new EO. Over the weekend, the press pool wasn't allowed to know who Trump was meeting, dining or golfing with and not they're hearing that they won't get a list of who visited the White House. Fun times at the WH.

4 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Isn't election day a school holiday nationwide?  It is in MD and VA.  Schools are usually used as polling locations.

Growing up in New York it sure wasn't, which was odd because my school was also a polling place. They had the station set out in a large room near one of the entrances and told us to stay away from it and not disturb anyone between classes.

11 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Apparently it varies by state/county.  

eta:  my kids always had school on election day in Idaho.

6 minutes ago, Fez said:

Growing up in New York it sure wasn't, which was odd because my school was also a polling place. They had the station set out in a large room near one of the entrances and told us to stay away from it and not disturb anyone between classes.

2 minutes ago, The Mance said:

Apparently it varies by state/county.  

Apparently.  10 states cancel classes for election day.  That's interesting, I thought it was pretty standard practice. 

Just in case anyone was wondering how truly loathsome the Republican Party has become.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/03/obamacare-repealer-explains-poor-dont-want-to-be-healthy.html

Representative Roger Marshall is a Kansas Republican, a former obstetrician, and a first-year member of Congress, and opponent of the Affordable Care Act. In an interview with Stat, Marshall draws upon his medical experience to explain why the law’s expansion of Medicaid is a bad thing. It is quite an interesting explanation:

“Just like Jesus said, ‘The poor will always be with us,’” he said. “There is a group of people that just don’t want health care and aren’t going to take care of themselves …

Just, like, homeless people … I think just morally, spiritually, socially, [some people] just don’t want health care,” he said. “The Medicaid population, which is [on] a free credit card, as a group, do probably the least preventive medicine and taking care of themselves and eating healthy and exercising. And I’m not judging, I’m just saying socially that’s where they are. So there’s a group of people that even with unlimited access to health care are only going to use the emergency room when their arm is chopped off or when their pneumonia is so bad they get brought [into] the ER.”

Just one more data point, that confirms, the world will better off, when the current Republican party is annihilated.

2 minutes ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

You assume one term.....

Well, I am kinda optimist. I also assume he won't start WW III (we hadn't one of those in a while), so there can be a next election. But I am not a pure optimist, though. I assume he will last a full term, and not get impeached.

5 minutes ago, Notone said:

Well, I am kinda optimist. I also assume he won't start WW III (we hadn't one of those in a while), so there can be a next election. But I am not a pure optimist, though. I assume he will last a full term, and not get impeached.

I assume he will not get impeached.  I think there is a greater than 20% chance that his health fails during his first term.  I think it is possible that he declines to run for a second term.  I think that if he does run, he has over a 50% chance of winning a second term.  However, if he wins, I think there is a greater than 50% chance that his health would fail during his second term (he'd be 78 by the end of that term).

20 minutes ago, Notone said:

Naw.  He will do his damndest to start a war in the middle east.  He seems to think we can take the oil and use it to pay off the deficit.

11 minutes ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

I assume he will not get impeached. 

The bar for impeachment is certainly higher in the current hyper-partisan environment, but that said, Trump is at the end of the day an impulsive, increasingly unstable individual who could very well find himself in a mess that even the most loyal Republicans cannot defend. I think there's probably a 25% that he does not finish his term, either because of an impeachment or because he has a mental breakdown. 

Archived