Shannara TV series in development at MTV with IRON MAN director

Werthead

Haven't read the thread, but wondering if this show is at all worth watching. And what's the deal with it? It can't be based off of Sword, can it? I mean that would just be LOTR all over again. So is it based on Elfstones? Or is it one of those things where it's just loosely based on the world but doesn't follow the storylines of any of the books?

9 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

Haven't read the thread, but wondering if this show is at all worth watching. And what's the deal with it? It can't be based off of Sword, can it? I mean that would just be LOTR all over again. So is it based on Elfstones? Or is it one of those things where it's just loosely based on the world but doesn't follow the storylines of any of the books?

Haven't read the books but my warm recommendation is to skip it. 

9 hours ago, Greywolf2375 said:

I'd have been really surprised if they had switched it so that Eretria was the seed.  What I found funny was the thought after they had sex - did they just ruin the chance to save the tree?

Agreed.... that would have been Tree-sonous

1 hour ago, Myshkin said:

Elfstones.  But loosely.  Not worth watching.

Eflstones was the first Fantasy book I read.  My parents were turbo-religious nutjobs, and "seized" all of my other books when they found it, and even wrote the author a letter condemning his evil "satanic" ways.  No, I'm not kidding. 

So, as my first ever true act of rebellion against idiocy, it's always held a special place for me.  It's really not a bad book either, as much as it is panned by the Tolkien fans.

I had high hopes for this show.  They were destroyed after ep1.  I kept watching, as much like a train hitting a Bugati, it's hard to look away when something beautiful is destroyed.  Such potential, and such failure.  Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory is an unfortunate thing.

On 3/4/2016 at 4:12 PM, Risto said:

So, she was a seed who was carrying the other seed so they could be seed-merged and then the one seed would travel back to be seeded. God, this is amazing. It keeps getting better and better :) 

I see.............d

This was disgustingly bad.  I just finished the series and I regret all the time I spent watching it.

Even Manu, who is always awesome, ended terrible when compared to the source material.  I honestly don't understand how they took an ok book and destroyed it.  It was almost like they had a 6 year old read the book and tell them about it.  It has some plot points there and some character names are the same, but that is it.

So, if someone comes to this thread to ask if they should watch it, take it from someone who is very forgiving of the shows he watches:

Run from this show.  Don't even watch the opening credits.  Just turn it off and watch anything else.

Haven't seen all of it yet. But so far I'm agreeing with the Rotten Tomatoes aggregate of 50%. It's OK, and I know nothing of the source material, other than Sword of Shannara was LOTR lite and I couldn't finish the book, so I had fairly low expectations going in.

I'll see it out to the end of the season, and I'll consider watching a second season under advisement.

I skipped the two final episodes. Can anyone give a quick catch-up other than Amberley turns into a tree? Like, did Will score with her at the very least :P (before she became a tree of course, it would be creepy otherwise) :P 

14 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

I skipped the two final episodes. Can anyone give a quick catch-up other than Amberley turns into a tree? Like, did Will score with her at the very least :P (before she became a tree of course, it would be creepy otherwise) :P 

Just in case...

Spoiler

Course he did! They stopped on their way back to Arborlorn for a not-so-quickie. Plenty of time for spooning afterwards. I guess they had time to spare, since the trip to San Fransico Safehold took days and days and days, but the return trip had them back in no time at all. What else. Yes, the dead Elf heir we never met appears as a demon when Arborlorn is under attack, and his brother, now King, has to kill him. The Elf commander with ear armour bit it, too. And the Druid apprentice turns full evil at the end. And by the way, the actor who plays Banon should get the razzy for worst acting EVER. Quite an accomplishment, given how truly atrocious 99% of the acting was throughout. 

18 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

5 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Just in case...

Hide contents

Course he did! They stopped on their way back to Arborlorn for a not-so-quickie. Plenty of time for spooning afterwards. I guess they had time to spare, since the trip to San Fransico Safehold took days and days and days, but the return trip had them back in no time at all. What else. Yes, the dead Elf heir we never met appears as a demon when Arborlorn is under attack, and his brother, now King, has to kill him. The Elf commander with ear armour bit it, too. And the Druid apprentice turns full evil at the end. And by the way, the actor who plays Banon should get the razzy for worst acting EVER. Quite an accomplishment, given how truly atrocious 99% of the acting was throughout. 

You forgot the best part...

Spoiler

Remember that seed that Amberlie was looking for? Apparently she was the seed. The purpose of their journey is lost, since the Druid also knew the fact and why in the name of Will's dumb gazes, he didn't tell her at the beginning thus saving thousands is still unknown :)

4 minutes ago, Risto said:

You forgot the best part...

Hide contents

Remember that seed that Amberlie was looking for? Apparently she was the seed. The purpose of their journey is lost, since the Druid also knew the fact and why in the name of Will's dumb gazes, he didn't tell her at the beginning thus saving thousands is still unknown :)

I may have deleted all that from brain! :lol:

3 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

I may have deleted all that from brain! :lol:

I understand. Coping mechanism...

BTW, did I dream that or the female general was in one episode with one brother and in another with another?

2 minutes ago, Jon AS said:

Ah, yes. He was pretty bad.

Why did they call magic users "druids" anyway? There didn't seem to be any religious element to them.

In a world where everyone still speaks English despite long passage of time and tremendous changes in the world, and where elves are just humans with pointy ears, you question why are the magic people called druids? :lol: 

Just now, Jon AS said:

Ah, yes. He was pretty bad.

Why did they call magic users "druids" anyway? There didn't seem to be any religious element to them.

I read the books a lifetime ago, but I think they're called Druids in the books too. I mean, Alanon was, I'm certain. I don't remember this other character, Banon. And I think Alanon was the last of their order, and at some point there was an apprentice, but not Banon, or maybe same name but different story? It's all very fuzzy! :P

Just now, Corvinus said:

In a world where everyone still speaks English despite long passage and tremendous changes in the world, and where elves are just humans with pointy ears, you question why are the magic people called druids? :lol: 

I question pretty much everything about this show, the only defensible aspect I can see in retrospect was casting Manu Bennett.:P

5 minutes ago, Risto said:

I understand. Coping mechanism...

BTW, did I dream that or the female general was in one episode with one brother and in another with another?

I thought it was me, my fault for playing candy crush while watching! :lol:

Archived